[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Off Grid Facts;Solar Power Ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: nm.jpg (110 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
nm.jpg
110 KB, 1280x853
Looking at relocating to a place like pic related which is not connected to power grid but comes with some sort of solar system. Without knowing the details can anyone point me to reliable information which may help me to understand ways to overcome limitations to the electric power capabilities of such a place as I am well conditioned to relying on the unlimited supplies of grid connected living.

Mostly I;d want to be able to run a refrigerator to keep typical foods and water cold for myself, A 36" TV, DVD player, Possibly desktop computer with cable from Satellite and a 200 wpc solid state stereo amp .

The idea of adding a windmill to augment the solar cells crossed my mind and possibly just setting up more battery capacity so the question is how much would these demands require.

This place is on 40 acres about an hour from any major cities like Santa Fe or Abq and not likely to see grid connection any time soon.
>>
>>990802
Get a generator.

Turn the generator on when you want to use your electronic toys.
>>
Everything has to be efficient as possible. No desktop PC, just a laptop for example.

Solar is good for these light electrical things, but for a fridge you will have to use a propane one. For heat wood (or propane/heating oil).
>>
>>990832
Just get a water powered Easicool fridge.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQCIW1aU1kY
>>
>>990802
Simple
get a battery for the solar panels that way you can convert the power right off the bat and run a few things when you're not catching much power and keep a generator in reserve.
Power really is the least of your worries
>>
>>990802
if you really want long term off grid it will cost a bit of money, if you want a week end retreat, you can get by with something under 2k.

For long term, it honestly pays to either build the house yourself or someone build it for you and leave the interior unfinished.

Do everything DC. Lights, fans, refrigeration, pumps and if you can, tools.
Compressors are almost impossible to run off inverters, difficult with generators, the surge can be insane.
Inverters also waste power and have a self draw just being on. Typical waste is 10-15% under ideal conditions, 30-40% when not operating at peak efficiency which is usually 2/3rds the rated output. Pure sine is mandatory for a house wiring situation. You can blow up the cheap ones easy. I recommend a 24 volt system. The higher the voltage the bigger the system can be but the less common parts are. 24 is the happy medium. 48 volt systems are near 100% reliant on inverters and the cost of equipment goes up.
You can also use gas refrigerators if you have free natural gas but i doubt you will out west, its common in my state. If you do and decide yo really of grid it, build a methane biodigester, great for small farms. You can replace propane with it and use methane to cook and run the fridge, takes a load off the solar system and gas fridges can have a really long life. my servel is almost 80 years old. Also can be had really cheap second hand. I paid 150 bucks for mine.
Upright dc fridges are expensive.
You can also run a generator off methane.
Long term generators are a poor choice, what happens if you cant get fuel? The cheapo box store generators slurp fuel and tend to have short lives. Even high end units like honda generators will want last as long as you want even if you baby it. Get a lister generator or a listeroid (indian knock off). Its not plug and play but long term they win. You dont scap them, you rebuilt, good for a million hours. You might get 50k hours out of a honda on propane.
>>
>>991034
Get a gas version of the lister and run it off the methane. Listers are super efficient and low rpm. you can strap a generator head to it but it needs to be at least a 4 pole generator. a lister runs around 900 rpm. Its a lot easier to hook a permanent magnet alternator on it and a charge controller and just charge the batteries. You can also use a alternator but you will run into charging issues (not really designed for charging deep cycle batteries, the voltages are to low, the alternators overheat etc)
with a pma and mppt controller you can program the voltages and perform and equalize any time you want. Greatly extends the life of a battery vs normal dumb charging. Solar is the most universal way of generating power long term but hydro is cheaper and more reliable. You run into code issues with that but that depends on your state and if you care or not.
hydro comes in two forms. High speed pelton wheels that run at a high rpm and require lots of pressure from water drop (the easiest to keep low key, can be 100% underground and indoors) but requires more expensive regulation to keep it from over speeding. If it goes open circuit or the load decreases it can fry electronic equipment with high voltages or explode from crazy rpm.
A waterwheel on the other hand requires volume of water and very little drop. Not nearly as efficient but cheap and because the speed is very predictable and set requires very little regulation. A simple SCR crowbar (google it, basically shorts out and slows the motor if it exceeds a certain voltage) can be used but not required. Can DIY that or buy one. Pretty cheap.
The waterwheel is all torque so you can control the rpm with pulleys and gears. A low rpm axial flux generator head is best for this. They make a lot of power at low rpm but it takes a lot of toque to move it. You can build your own, they can be a bit pricey if you buy them from the RE companies.
>>
>>991040
The quality difference between the diy and company made doesn't really make the difference. You can find guides online, google hughes piggote
he makes them for windmills. They are typically three phase, which you use a rectifier to turn to dc and run to a mppt charge controller, like a midnite classic 150 or a midnite kid depending on how much power you can get.
Most water wheels wont go over 500 watts. 500 watts 24/7 is still a lot. The high speed pelton versions do a lot more though but like i said the cost is higher and the extra power is not always worth it, especially if you dont need it. If you have enough drop you can always build a second wheel down the line below the other and reuse the water. or use a mix of solar and hydro, hydro keeping the batteries topped off at night, pv giving you that extra boost during the day to do large activities like laundry or running tools.

Schneider electric has a sw series inverter, best inverter for the money. I snagged one for 900 bucks on sale They usually go for 1800.
Split phase 120/240 like normal house wiring. Its hard wires into the breaker box and you can parallel them for double the output. They also have a build in charger that can be programmed and auto start functions for a generator (needs some extra parts to do it). Very heavy duty, about 60 lbs, it has a transformer in it.
Some tubular fork truck batteries would be a good investment. Very long term, the kind of stuff nuclear power plants use as a back up.
You are limited to how fast the battery is able to charge for how big the system is. 10% of the 20 hour rate is standard. so a 1000 AH 24 volt bank can be charged around 100 amps. You can go over this but this is typically the max without damaging the cell. so around 2400 watts. Not sure about float mode, you may be able to use more since in float they are topped off. Something you need to talk to a battery manufacturer about. I recommend sbs industries or rolls surrette.
>>
>>991045
With a 100-500 watt hydro system and 2000 watts of solar you can run a modern (but very efficient ) house all you want. With refrigeration, fans, lights and even air conditioning (would need to be small OR a high seer heat pump).
Other issues arise but none as hefty and difficult as power. Heat with wood, its the cheapest and you will never produce enough methane to heat the house. With a big enough RE system you can run an all electric house but it just depend on what you expect. Cooking with electric is possible. You can easily run a smaller keurig. A single cup is like 30-40 watts. The cup maker is around 700 watts but it only runs for a couple minutes. An induction cooker is neato, makes up for the loss of efficiency in an inverter. A good way to cut down on gas, use it mid day. You can also use DC power as a dump load hen the batteries are in float. Have it on a switch or use a midnite classic to control a relay. Free hot water and you use a standard electric hot water tank (replace the elements with DC rated ones, dont use ebay, full of fakes). You can also run PV directly to the elements with a inline breaker. They make DC high amp units with a thermostat built in. Solar is cheap now, batteries are not.
A well for water or a spring, if you cant have either rainwater collection or plain old creak water you filter through a sandbar than a 2 micron filter for drinking. The well will cost the most but is the most protected from the elements or any sort of contamination. A spring is clean, tasty and the water can come to you if its uphill. A buried cistern is a must unless you have a super great spring or multiple, than you can use a smaller insulated above ground tank, usually under the house so it doesn't freeze, like a tote tank, 300 gallons. 12/24 dc pump for house pressure. If you do go for a well, use a hand pump or have it as a back up. You can also hand pump it up hill into a tank like the water company does.
>>
>>991061
So thats all the water you need, all power. Hot water and hot food, refrigeration, wood can heat the house (you can even use excess hydro power heat the house with a small scale dc heater depending on the hydro output).
A well built house will reduce wood use. 2 x 6 walls and at least an r30 attic. Insulate the floor as well and high E windows with thick insulated curtains. Add a layer of reflectix to the roof under it (metal is the long term roofing of choice) to keep it a LOT cooler during the summer.

Build yourself a root cellar, grow crops with raised bed gardens or in a green house. Cows, chickens,sheep or goats mean meat, milk and eggs. Fruit trees, fuck loads of those, very low maintenance and a lot of quality food. If you have the land and the water fill it with berry bushes, fruit trees and grapes. A nice fence around it to keep deer out. Maybe a dc electric fence depending on the location. With some stockpiling, food production and renewable sources you dont even need to leave depending on the type of person you are (i hate people). Wireless internets can be had, you may have standard radio broadband towers in area. The best choice, best speeds, latency and usually unlimited bandwidth. Upfront equipment costs higher than usual but not insane.
Satellite is universal but expensive up front and shitty data caps as well as high ping.
3g/4g cell phone internet can be tether, the cheapest option, coverage can vary but can be improved with cell phone boosters (100-700 dollars depending how high end), data caps vary. Some carriers just throttle now, some even lightly throttle. A neckbeards paradise. Solitute, good food and all the time in the world for vidya, animu and other hobbies like making beer and wine or whatever you please. Need money? Pick the right state and the taxes are low as fuck. In my area 30 acres with a modest house is like 400 bucks a year. Pick a poor flyover state, inawoods means the quality of the state is doesn't mean anything
>>
>>991074
With costs this low you dont need as much money to live.
Say 500 a year in taxes. You need phone/internet and insurance.
Gasoline use depends on how much you need to leave. Phone/internet under 80 bucks, insurance for single older truck, 60ish (for me it is). I'd say about 200 a month, so 2400 a year. You could go as low as 100 a month or 300 depending on your internet options or vehicles. In poorer southern states your economic freedom is better and you can load up the truck and go down the road and sell crops. Milk is a no go, a few states allow the sale of raw milk, be careful with that, the fda will knock your door down with an armored car and swat team, google it, not joking. You could easily make 500 a month selling crops or other things.
Jams, jellies, honey, cheese (legal if ages 6 months), home made soda. etc. You can have all the modern amenities you want, it just takes money and a lot of DIY. A fuck lot cheaper if you DIY. Overall for 100% independence, you will likely spend 20-30k on stuff other than the house. Don't buy to much land, a small family does fine with 10 acres. You need good flat clear land. 30 is nice, especially with trees for cutting. Any more and you pay taxes on land you dont use.
>>
>>990832

this or AAA+ electric efficiency freezer.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.