[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a plastic Darth Vader helmet that I got a very long time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
I have a plastic Darth Vader helmet that I got a very long time ago, around the time Revenge of the Sith came out. I was a kid then, so I played with it and over the years the plastic has become faded and scratched. I'd like to bring the helmet back to decent condition - what is going to be the best or cheapest way to get it to an automotive-like glossy mirror finish? Of course it's not going to be perfect but surely I can get close.

Should I use...
>black spray paint with Rustoleum glossy clear spray enamel and then polish it
>a more expensive clear gloss enamel like Spraymax 2K clear coat
>a glossy black spray enamel
>clear epoxy resin on top of glossy black paint

Should I hand it off to a local prop-making place and have them do it for me?
>>
Go check out the 501st legions website, they have plenty of tutorials on what to do.
>>
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Woodoo_hide

5 seconds on Google
>>
>>990663
Honestly automotive paint isn't that expensive.
Go to your nearest auto store, get sand paper primer and black or extremely dark blue auto spray paint, rough up the surface, prime and paint it, good amount of clear coat, sand it with fine grain sand paper and give it a quick buff with some turtle wax or something.

in total should cost maybe $50 at most.
>>
File: pulimento-liquido-titanlux.jpg (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
pulimento-liquido-titanlux.jpg
69 KB, 600x600
>>990663
Any decent polishing agent will do the job if the scratches aren't too deep, I used this to polish the plastics of my bike to a glossy black finish, it takes some time if you do it just with a rag though.
If the mask is made out of black plastic you can use it and forget about painting it, but if it's painted you'll have to repaint it.
>>
>>990663
>I got a very long time ago

in galaxy far away?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.