[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Design/cost/aesthetics/use/etc.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 4 different ridge heights.jpg (172 KB, 1106x493) Image search: [Google]
4 different ridge heights.jpg
172 KB, 1106x493
I'm finally gonna build a garage this summer. I'll try to take some photos. I'll never be Bunkerdude, but who will??

I'm milling up some hemlock. 4 bays. Currently 46 wide by 20' deep, but would be psyched to go 24' deep if it's just as easy.

I'll most probably sheath it in ply (for shear strength) and side it with pine board and batten.

Corrugated tin roof.

On the left I'd probably just build trusses. I'm willing to have posts in between bays, but it'd be nice to do it without.

On the right I'd certainly have a second floor above, with windows on the south side above the bays.

I'm looking for dollars extra (I realize that's pretty tough without knowing materials- but pretty rough) or percentage extra to extend that south wall to give a 6 foot "knee"wall and therefore giving a second floor.

I live in Vermont, so a decent snow load. That's why I started looking at steeper pitches. Front (south) side will have fixed solar panels, so I need right around that pitch and about 8 feet tall for fitting panels (but that's pretty easy to change/fix).

Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>990454

I am going to answer the only question that you asked in that rambling ass-packed pile of shit:

>I'll never be Bunkerdude, but who will??

Everyone who buys a bunker and puts their heart into it.

Godspeed anon.
>>
Here's my question:
I'm looking for dollars extra (I realize that's pretty tough without knowing materials- but pretty rough) or percentage extra to extend that south wall to give a 6 foot "knee"wall and therefore giving a second floor.
>>
File: garage.jpg (4 MB, 3570x5408) Image search: [Google]
garage.jpg
4 MB, 3570x5408
>>990454
ICF
C
F
>>
>>991147
Saw that thread and thought it was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, I've got a totally different question (although it turns out it may be difficult to discover) that this doesn't answer.
>>
After reading a few times, I still have no idea what you're asking. I get you want to know the cost of building a 6' knee wall (somewhere) and are putting solar panels on the roof on the front slope...then something about 8' for the panels...

What I'm assuming from that rambling mess and the pic provided:

46' X 20-24' garage, gable roof. Roof pitch to allow 8' of roof space on front slope for solar panels (Dont know how that would ever be a problem for a roof spanning at least 20')

It looks like you have two interior walls on each side of the middle 2 bays. I'm guessing you want a steep enough pitch on the roof to frame a 2nd floor with 6' walls at the south and north sides to make a room in the middle? Price the trusses at different pitches and the lumber to frame the upper room and stair material.

Still dont know if you're asking something that needs to be answered here or by a truss manufacturer.
>>
>>992043
Thanks.

I guess the whole thing was kind of silly.

I was trying to ask whether it was worth building higher.

You know how folks say it's worth building a basement (if you have the extra scratch) because "proportionally" it's worth it? I guess this is the same issue, and I know that it's worth it to build a little higher to give me the space.
>>
>>992133

"Folks" build basements depending on their needs from their house. Most of the time in colder climates the frost line is so low you basically have to dig down enough to prevent frost heave on the footings that it doesn't cost much more to make it a full on basement. More basements in northern cold climates, more crawlspaces in southern warm/mild climates.

Your snow load would probably necesitate having a steeper pitch anyway, so yeah it makes sense to build it higher, wanting a 2nd story too makes it a win/win.
>>
lurking for justice. looking to build my own shed/garage for parking my cars in.
>>
>>992550
Well, I'll certainly take some pictures as I go. Once I have plans, I'll load those. I gotta get a cut list made up and get these logs milled aSAP.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.