[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a house
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: dax.png (12 KB, 907x623) Image search: [Google]
dax.png
12 KB, 907x623
Sup /diy/?

I'm looking to move out into the middle of nowhere and building a house over the course of a few years. I'd be interested in knowing if there is anything I really need to know about construction that you can help me with. Pic related is a rough plan for the house I wanna build.

The current plan is that it will be a cottage, so no plumbing or power. The building will be built on a slab foundation and have only one floor. I'd also like the walls and ceiling to be slat and lathe rather than drywall, with the exterior walls being red brick.
>>
>>989958
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

No.
>>
^
>>
>>989960
Man if you don't have anything helpful to say
>>
So you want to build a house using /diy/ as your source of information? Terrible idea man. Unless you know what you are doing building your own house often ends in disaster.

Also
>Lathe and plaster

Just why?
>>
>>989958
Most important part beside supplies for the house is gonna be tools. Tools is gonna get expensive fast. Youre gonna need a tablesaw/hand saw/mitersaw. At least three types of hammers. A staple gun. Chain saw and lawn mower. A small truck or suv/van. Power drill. AND if you got no utility hookup. A generator.. Also as soon as you hit your first winter youre gonna wanna get that shit done. Being a noobie you wont go the handtools only no powertools bullshit. Forget it. If thats your plan just give up now... Youre gonna need to use powertools because you are gonna fuck up. I would also advise to find a plot of land close to a lumbermill.
>>
Building over a couple of years?
Why not just pull it together and do it during a summer?..

If it is as small as you show there, then the construction is not that difficult, start with the foundation, of gravel, then insulate, then concrete, add pipes for floor heating, add thin layer of concrete.

Build interior walls in aerated concrete, do wiring, add vapor barrier, insulate then build exterior walls. build roof construction, add barrier, insulate, apply roof..

Then insulate a 1 m^3 plastic tank, put in a hole, add water and antifreeze, add solar water heater and heat the water, use for floor heating!!! This could also be combined with a stove or fireplace..
>>
>>989968

The hope was that you guys would say "HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider X" and then I'd google it and learn what I need to know.

I'm choosing lathe and plaster because I want the walls to look slightly uneven, it's a cottage after all.
>>
>>989979
>The hope was that you guys would say "HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider X" and then I'd google it and learn what I need to know.

then you should have started out with what you DO know
>>
If that's what you want just park a shipping container and insulate it.
>>
>>989979
>HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider X
fine, we can handle this kind of request

HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider permits
HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider how hard it's gonna be to get that foundation set & level
HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider the costs of ferrying all your tools/equipment back and forth between beautiful middle-of-nowhere natureland and the closest town with a hardware store
HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider that building a house over the course of years means you'll have water and insect damage throughout thanks to being uncovered/unroofed/unsealed for 90% of that time

HAHAHA OP you didn't even consider
nah that's it I'm out of ideas
>>
File: IMG_1010.jpg (58 KB, 800x237) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1010.jpg
58 KB, 800x237
>>990168
>permits
if it is in the middle of nowhere, in america in lots of places, no permits required

>foundation level
stump it

>over years
yeah this is the biggest problem.
OP its easiest to have a large shed built. then you have an enclosed space you can just fit out. its why people do it. you can drop 3k$ on a shed fully built. then just take your time installing heating, electrical, plumbing.

as for no plumbing, that is stupid. install a large water tank fed from the roof. elevate the water tank to be above the level of your fixtures or install a pump.

as for hurr durr no electricity. install at least a 40w solar panel, a car battery and a 12v light to begin with. or a 1000w bank of solar panels and some gel storage batteries. washing your clothes by hand will get boring. a lot of people also use a backup generator.
>>
>>989958
I commend your dream of building your own place, but I am completely confused as to the specific things you said about it.

Why on earth would you want to not include any plumbing or power? I understand these things would take more work, but what's the point of building the place if you don't enjoy living there? There are lots of ways to live off the grid and away from municipal water supplies, even if you don't pursue it now, it is childish to not give yourself the option. Unless this is like a hunting cabin or something that you will visit two days a year.

Also, what is your reasoning for not using drywall? That is super specific, and there's a reason that drywall is the standard for the entire construction market, it's just better. Is it just so you can say you did it yourself? In that case have fun cutting down all the trees, shaping them, and digging up talc and producing your own plaster, because there's no difference in my opinion between the two options unless you do that.
>>
>>990179
It's not a home, it's a cottage. There's a washroom in an outbuilding in case of catastrophic failure of a plumbing system. There's no power because power is expensive at my location and solar panels ruin the feel. It seems stupid, and is, but it's what I'm doing.

>>990168
I did consider that stuff. I'm building in a place where I don't need permits. The cost of equipment is actually pretty low because I know a dude who owns equipment and lives near by. When I say build it over a couple years I mean structure in one year, interior detail like cabinets and shit in the second and so on.
>>
>>990240
You have no idea what you don't know, close this thread, what a waste of time
>>
>>990248
I have no idea what I don't know, you're exactly right. That's why I'm here.
>>
>>990252
And we are telling you you are fucking out of your league, go back to school or talk to an adult in real life if that is so hard for you to do and see what they have to say about it, chances are they all think you are daydreaming out of your ass too

TLDR this is /diy/ not /fantasy/
>>
>>990253

Chill
>>
>>989958
I think it's doable, OP. I also think you're too late this year, sort of. You need to have it away from the weather by winter, and you'll be busting your ass getting that done this year if you haven't started anything yet. You should try to get the slab done and ready to build on by winter this year, and then start as soon as you can in the spring next year if you want it to be dry. And think about some running water? No electricity I can see, but running water of some sort would be a decent idea.
>>
>>990278
We are assuming OP is planning on building his thing somewhere where weather would be a significant issue.

OP, where is it anyway? Rural Midwest is going to be a lot different from Texas and both are a lot different from Virginia, you know what I mean?
>>
>>990281

It's on the east side of lake Ontario
>>
>>990287
That's even more significant than I thought. We don't know how much time per week, or month, you have to work on it either. Plan your steps wisely, OP. Have you considered doing a crawl space and floor joists versus a slab? Talking out my ass a little, but that's a big slab of concrete to be all one pour, and I'll bet you'd need expansion joints in it even if you build it all at once. What will that do to your flooring?
>>
>>989958
First of all, what's with your wack ass dimensions? Why not make any of them whole numbers?

Secondly, a 7.5mx6.2m slab footing will be extremely hard to do by yourself, mixing that much concrete at once that is the same consistency and has the strength needed and being able to pour it all before it goes off is just crazy, there are other footings you can make that would be easier.

We can't really give you advice unless we know your skill set, judging by your ms paint drawing we know you don't know how to draw up plans, do you know building methods? Do you know what materials this place is going to be made out of? Do you know how to do those building methods? What is your experiences in the construction industry?

I'm betting that there is a 1 in 2 chance this thing will just fall down on your head.

>>989978
Jesus Christ, do you really think OP can do all that? It's a cabin in the woods, you don't need under floor heating and tilt up/prefab concrete panels is probably the least easy thing to do by yourself, what are you even thinking?

>>990176
>no permits required
Really? That seems dumb, anyone can just set up house anywhere?
>>
Everyone is talking about the foundation being supercritical, but honestly, for a wee little cabin in the woods, it's going to be super light. I don't know if it'll be necessary.

You are looking at a single story, with fairly light building materials. The biggest concern you need to address that a foundation would help with is wind. You'll need to find a way to prevent overturning and to transmit the wind shear into the ground. There are certainly ways to do this without a giant concrete slab.
>>
Make the roof a gamrel, optimize your second floor!
>>
>>990432
There is no second floor.
>>
>>990329
These aren't permanent dimensions, just a rough guess. There's no permits for land yo own, but you have ti own the land.
>>
>>989958
use drywall someone who has no knowledge of plastering (especially lathe) will not be able to do it without being taught and a decent amount of practice. Buy a static caravan or similar then renovate that.
>>
>>990476
Why are your rough dimensions so precice? Why not make it 8 by 6? Why is it 7.55 by 6.21

As for no permits, you don't even have to run plans past coucil or anything? You can just build some shithole house and no one will stop you as long as you own the land? Is this everywhere in America or just 'inna woods'?
>>
>>990550
It's the inna woods part of Canada where there is no council
>>
>>989979
Haha OP you didn't consider getting an education in carpentry.
>>
>>991512

I actually have, I know a lot about basic carpentry
>>
And you guys are right, Crawlspace would be better than slab where I live.
>>
>>991867

Your region is not suited for a crawlspace either. You have to dig down so far to set footings under the frost line to prevent frost heave and foundation its usually cheaper to just go full basement.

Also, plan your dimensions around the lumber you're able to by. Dont make walls fucking 11'-6" X 14"2" or some shit and just have waste for no reason. 16' lumber, 16' walls, 4'x8' plywood, design in multiples of 4'.

Also crawlspace would require you to build your own forms for footings, then foundation walls, having the knowledge to build your own forms, or be able to rent, transport and setup modular concrete forms (symon, simplex etc.) Then steel reinforcing and pouring the concrete. And thats not even factoring in the logistics of getting concrete to the site, or doing it on site (good luck if you aren't going with premix)
>>
Op should just buy some shipping containers and use them to build an underground bunker so he doesn't have to worry about foundation or heating. Plumbing would be easy via a water tank at ground level.

Godspeed op.
>>
>>992155
For once I would actually agree that it would be better for OP to just use some shipping containers. Even if it was just some temporary shelter, it's an easy way to set up a water tight area you can store your shit in (including yourself if you have to) while you're building a better home, then after you've built the cabin you can use the container as a workshop or something.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.