[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/DIY/ EDC.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: SCHF60_1024x1024.png (168 KB, 1024x173) Image search: [Google]
SCHF60_1024x1024.png
168 KB, 1024x173
Hi /DIY/

What kind of things do you carry everyday? I'm trying to become a more handy person ( have the right tools around at the right times, etc. ) and am looking for a good fixed blade for DIY-based tasks. Obviously there is a tool for every job, including blade shape, is there a good all-around option?

Also, can anybody tell me what the tool in the middle of this blade is supposed to be? I know what the other tools are ( hex wrench, bicycle spoke wrench sizes 14/15, O2 key, bottle opener and both inches/mm ruler ( inches on other side ) but can't figure out what the one in the middle is.
>>
Blade weakener.
>>
Two cell phones, a wallet, a gun (Glock 19 at home, .38 derringer at work), a knife (Kershaw freefall at home, Milwaukee fastback utility knife at work) and a Klien 11-in1 whenever I'm actually working. My pockets stay pretty full but 90% of the shit gets done without a trip to the toolbox.
>>
>>987535
>that knife
>go to open a bottle
>slice open hand
>go to undo a nut
>slice open hand
>go to cut something
>get metal jabbing into your palm

Nice design.
>>
Not sure why it has the little hole/keyhole shape at one end but otherwise I'd say it is a shackle key.
>>
File: SCHF60_SHEATH_1024x1024.png (562 KB, 489x1024) Image search: [Google]
SCHF60_SHEATH_1024x1024.png
562 KB, 489x1024
>>987565
I should have mentioned you are supposed to use the sheath when using the tools on the handle.
>>987568
I believe that is a spoke wrench for bicycles if you are looking at what I think you are.
>>
>>987603
That sheath looks more uncomfortable to hold than the handle does when using the knife end.
>>
File: IMAG0906.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0906.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>987535
leatherman squirt ES4, attached via magnet to my car's keychain, that way it stays in the little front right pocket.
Don't really need a larger knife, the pliers are good enough, and the file is much more useful than I thought it would be. Anything that I can't do with this little guy I'm unlikely to encounter without the proper tool in the vicinity.
By far the most useful things are the knife, notebook, pen, and my phone's camera.
>>
File: 021193bs116-01_ld[1].jpg (19 KB, 300x317) Image search: [Google]
021193bs116-01_ld[1].jpg
19 KB, 300x317
>>987535
Taking an semi-educated guess unlike everyone else who apparently has no clue. I'd reckon that hole in the center, just down and to the left of the SCH, is for pulling up nails, like the back end of a hammer.
>>
>>987603
that looks like it would seriously damage any nut and your hands. I understand the need for the blade, but everything else is just quite idiotic.
Think how often you come a cross a 3/8' nut that you have to remove without any wrench or socket nearby.
Granted, it depends on what you do in your day to day, but even then, why not just use the right tool?
>>
>>987661
I was thinking that, but there wold be too little leverage, and it would have to pry against the blade (if hardened not a good thing at all).
It may very well be marketed as that, but more likely than not is just a clever solution to making it lighter.
>>
I believe that is a tard magnet. It's used to attract stupid people and separate them from their money.
>>
>>987535
Considering all of the product descriptions of it don't mention the slot at all, I imagine it's just for balancing and lightening.
>>
>>987661
Thank you for taking a guess. :) I'm thinking of e-mailing the company and asking them but I appreciate your effort.

>>987663
I agree it is ALWAYS better to use the proper tool and if I had it with me I would. That having been said I actually walk or take the bus everywhere ( can't bring a whole set of tools onto public transport ) and then I discovered this while looking for a blade under 2.5 inches so I figured "why not?"

Also, vid related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44xb5EYrmQ
>>
File: IMAG0892.jpg (427 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0892.jpg
427 KB, 3264x1836
>>987691
Yes you can take a toolbag with you, and should if it's your job.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Tool-Storage-Tool-Bags/Husky/N-5yc1vZc2g6Zrd

Otherwise, if that isn't viable, then it's either not your job/responsibility or you're a crappy tech/labourer.
You are not, contrary to what seems to be your current belief, going be doing guerrilla handiwork. At most you'll find yourself using the screwdriver to open up a battery compartment, using pliers to extract a splinter or a broken key, cutting a loose thread in you shirt, and almost fucking always, opening packaging.
I used to work in my father's company rebuilding houses after tenants completely wrecked them, and a gerber 600 was always on my belt for those odd times I was lazy and didn't want to climb down a rickety ladder. I still have it with me. It does go in my pocket if I'm helping someone do something that might require a beefier multitool, like moving, camping, or housework, but the tiny squirt is still my EDC.
>>
>>987661
just fuck my blade up
>>
>>987603
No the spoke wrench is at the end and marked 14 and 15. Google shackle key imags and see what I mean.
>>
>>987961
I'm not saying it is either just that what I think it could be. Most shackle keys widen towards one end. Otherwise, no idea.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.