[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never had a shop class available to me during high school or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: h4h.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
h4h.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
I never had a shop class available to me during high school or college.
So i have volunteered to do some work with habitat for humanity in hopes of learning how to do some basic house things
i.e. framing, siding, insulation, landscape, and painting

any other good charities or companies i can volunteer with to build my /diy/ skills??
>>
>>987039
Going to school and getting a job are typically the ways to acquire skills. You're relying on a bunch of know-nothing volunteers building budget houses to teach you shit? I'd become an apprentice before I do that.
>>
>>987044
you could start by killing yourself if you are this poster
>>
>>987044
They have actual contractors showing volunteers how to do tedious tasks
>>
>>987053
I'm one such person. Journeyman Carpenter reporting.

If you really want to learn this shit OP, and are serious about it, invest in Carpentry 6th Edition by Leonard Koel. This is where you can start off learning basics, and if you're confused about something, can reference it. Think of it as the beginners bible to carpentry.

When on site at habitat, try to get in good with one of the journeymen. If the guy doesn't like you, he's not going to waste his time showing you shit. Especially when the qualified guys get tasked with real shit like calculating and cutting hip valley rafters.

Other general tips:
>Morning is learning time. Afternoon is I'm sore fuck off time.
>Bring tools and bring the right tools. If you come to frame with me, and you're sporting a fucking 16oz rip claw, you're today's go-fer.
>Don't be a cunt, you're new. If you think that you can't be made so miserable that you'll want to quit, you're wrong.
>Once you learn a few things, get a part time job framing on weekends. 90% of habitat houses go to niggers and other undeserving sacks of shit.

First house I framed went to Somalians. They ripped out anything worth a cent and then tore the wiring out of the walls and any copper plumbing as well. City condemned the house 4 months after it was turned over.
>>
>>987074
Shit. I signed up for a 1pm star time.

I dont mind lifting shit for journey man though. Ill be his jail house bitch.

I dont own any tools. Like i said, i dont know shit
>>
>>987074
How do I identify the journeyman on site?
>>
>>987081
He's one of the guys that has a clue.

>>987080
Get tools or you're dragging shit around all day. Framing basics would be a framing hammer, chalk line, speed square, torpedo level (9" level), nail bar, olfa knife, and a pencil. All of that may cost you about 150-200 depending on the quality of tools. Don't buy anything fancy because it's going to get stolen. Example: Stiletto framing hammers. 150-300 depending on the style. Guaranteed to be stolen if you don't babysit it.
>>
>>987083
Oh, and ask questions. Don't start with any "I know this works like.." or "I saw a video/tv show/hieroglyphics that did it like.." bullshit. There's 1000 ways to skin a cat and the more ways you know, the better. Some techniques don't work in all situations and being versatile is key in Carpentry. If you come off as a know-it-all, you're going to get told off or shut out.
>>
>>987083
>>987087
Should I go first and check out if its for me before i buy shit?

I have no idea what stage of building these people are at.
Is there a large possibility i wont learn a damn thing?
>>
If you are serious about learning and have volunteered with Habitat, I'll let you in on a secret. Show up at first light every day. That's when the pros show up to fix the fuck ups and get some real work done. There are two tiers of volunteers at Habitat, the pros that the don't want to admit do all the work and the "home owner volunteers" that get their pictures in the paper. Make yourself known to the pros. They are always looking for good help, willing to learn.
>>
>>987091
Yes, look into it, but watching someone work and doing the work yourself are two different feelings.

When I started my apprenticeship, I would mostly drag material and tools around, get coffee, and smoke cigarettes. I spent a lot of time watching what was being done.

In my second period of the 'ship I was ready to quit because I felt I hadn't developed any skills aside from how to carry various shit.

I talked to my boss and he started tasking me with minor things such as the construction of hoarding. He asked me to frame it like a house. This is the point where I decided that this was the career for me.

Again, look into it, but remember that watching and doing are very different experiences and you can't do anything without tools.
>>
>>987044
fuck off OP's idea is better than being negative, skeptical and doing nothing
>and it helps people
>and you learn all kinds of life skills just working with a diverse group of people.
>The volunteers include skilled labor,
>skilled technicians,
>skilled tradespeople
>as well as professionals of many types.
OP many doors may be open to you through reaching out like this
>>
>>987200
this
>>
>>987304
Thanks bro

Guys I'm just trying to learn basics. I don't wanna build a house, but I'd like to know how to use a circular saw, plant a tree properly, hammer nails...shit like that

Thanks for the advice. I'll sign up for morning shifts from now on
>>
>>987039
Just go work as a labourer for someone they will teach you shit and you get paid.
>>
>>987327
I have a job
>>
>>987327
Labourers are retards. Less useful than a bag of hammers, and just about as smart.

>>987511
Like I said above. If you want to learn carpentry, no matter how remedial, ask a journeyman carpenter. A part of the journeyman's job is teaching apprentices everything from how to properly use tools to calculating leg load and weight distribution on scaffolding.

If I wanted to learn to cook a five star meal, I wouldn't hunt down the nearest bus driver.
>>
No advise to op besides, like you I didn't get any shop classes in HS.
Wanted to learn metal working.
Did a lot of pee-on work at a fab shop nights and weekends before I was trusted to do any fabrication.
Now I machine & weld, do some mechanical work as my own boss.
If its what you want to do, go for it.
Learning new skills, even if you're not going to persue it as a career is a great thing, thumbs up.
>>
>>987074
>If you think that you can't be made so miserable that you'll want to quit, you're wrong

I know that this is a daft question but what do you mean by that exactly?
>>
>>987200
This might sound dumb and autistic, but do you have any suggestions on how to approach someone at a place like Habitat to offer my help or ask if I could learn from them?

Obviously we're all there to do the same stuff but if I can't get an early morning slot it seems kind of awkward to show up with nothing to do. Guess I grew up with the assumption that when people are busy they don't want to be interrupted or slowed down by having to explain stuff to others.
>>
>>987518
>carpentry
>titles

I never got that.

Why waste money on a program when I walked on and got paid to learn.
>>
>>987044
>Going to school
>way to acquire skills
>>
>>988015
It's peon, not pee-on just FYI
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (21 KB, 154x158) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
21 KB, 154x158
>>988015
>Did a lot of pee-on work
wtf am i reading?
>>
>>987074
>They ripped out anything worth a cent and then tore the wiring out of the walls and any copper plumbing as well.
how much of a nigger to you have to be to loot your own fucking house
>>
>>987083
>olfa knife
Sure, if you can't be trusted with an actual utility knife. You know, one that actually has utility on the job site?
>>
>>987074

As a fellow carpenter I agree with everything in this post...except

>If you come to frame with me, and you're sporting a fucking 16oz rip claw, you're today's go-fer.

Just a preference but I have been framing with an Estwing 16oz smooth face hammer for a couple weeks now, I kind of like it over my 22 oz apart from no milled face on it. Just never switched it out from my pouches after setting symon forms as my big ass framing hammer is not conducive to hitting wedge bolts all day from concrete forms. Plus I haven't hand nailed framing in a long time, everything is shot with guns and you can set thin little Paslode nails with your cats claw if you wack it hard enough. Good advice though on everything, I've been thinking about trying some work with Habitat sometime.

Also, fuck Stiletto hammers.
>>
>>989648
Been out of wireless range for a while, so I didn't get to see this until today. Utility knives and olfa knives are synonymous to me because they're just the biggest name. Pic related, an olfa utility knife.
>>
File: OLFH1-2.jpg (49 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
OLFH1-2.jpg
49 KB, 1000x1000
>>991186
Of course I'd forget the pic.
>>
File: STT51124-hires.jpg (43 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
STT51124-hires.jpg
43 KB, 1000x1000
>>989971
Thanks for pointing out the use of Air Nailers. I personally haven't seen them used on Habitat sites, I was told they're too dangerous to be using around volunteers when I asked about it.

I use a 15oz stanley framing hammer which, for the people who aren't aware, strikes with the same force as a 28oz hammer. When it comes to form wedges and snap ties, you're not looking to really drive those things as hard as a spike. 16oz rip claws have their uses but framing isn't one of them. As I said before, the right tools for the job.
>>
I'm just going to address all questions and statements since I have time.

>>989221
You can be made miserable in many ways. The main way is to assign you the worst jobs by yourself. You're going to be very sore and sorry by the end of the day, or you're going to quit. I made a 3rd year apprentice, who thought he had the right to go through my tool box and take shit, carry 20ft i-joists by himself. Those particular joists were probably around 150-180lbs each and there were 50 of them going to the second floor. He quit after the 3rd or 4th one.

Another way is to "deprive you of your station". I quote that because I can't think of a better way to say it. I've made apprentices work with Labourers for weeks. No carpentry at all.
>>
>>989536
Journeymen innately understand that their job entails teaching. Don't be afraid to ask, but also don't be surprised if you get told to fuck off. Don't take it personally on the off chance that it happens. I've lost it on guys before because they just asked for the wrong shit at the wrong time. Older guys are sore all the fucking time, but its worse at the end of the day.
>>
>>989547
You wouldn't call someone with an MD Mr. Jack. It's Dr. Jack.

It's a matter of respect for the amount of work, training, and schooling that the person has had to do in order to accomplish that title. I worked hard for my title, and my right to do my own work without unqualified people interfering.

>>989646
The niggest.
>>
Fucking habitat for humanity.

A decently sized local grocery store closed in a neighborhood i owned eight properties in. After a few years the property was bought from the city by a developer for a modern mini strip with the condition that the south strip of the property abutting the neighborhood be reserved for low income housing.

Habitat comes in, ten houses are built, very typical cookie cutter homes built. All of them save for two are given to niggers. An employee of a friend was the recipient of one of the houses and I helped on that one. After eight years he's the only one who still lives there.

Within a year they were all unkempt, weeds all over, cars and oil spots all over the driveway. And the number of police calls to the neighborhood quintupled over night.

As time has gone on me and another property owner have bought the homes for practically pennies on the dollar. I got 4 of them and they all needed major work.

The last one I got must have had a dog locked in one of the rooms over the garage because i not only had to replace the sub floor, but the insulation and ceiling in the garage where the urine leaked through. Even after that it still smelled so the drywall came out too.

Now that they're all gone police calls dropped back to pre-nig levels.
>>
>>987074
>>991200
you sound like an asshole, my man
>>
>>991280
I sure can be. Welcome to the tradesman mind set
>>
>>991280

>>991304

i don't think its a matter of being an asshole as it is someone who's seen their work and charity get wasted on bad people who had no business home-owning before, and learned nothing from their time in the home.
>>
>>989547
Do you mean you don't understand the titles apprentice, journeyman and master? Not being a jerk, but if so Google it. It's an age old system of teaching trades and skills, and still applies to certain trades today.
>>
some cities may have community work spaces, or "hacker" spaces.
I know theres one in my town. Havne't had a chance to stop by when thwey are open and I keep telling myself I need to go down and visit them.
One day it will happen
I just hope its not when they have closed doors for good.
>>
>>991329
I mean carpentry is the "lowest" tier of trades. You can save yourself a whole lot of money skipping school. And just going to work

You can put lipstick on a pig,buts it's still a pig
>>
>>989536
Showing up early with coffee and donuts would be a start. They owe you the time to talk about what you want to do while they drink your coffee.
>>
>>991358
Most profession studies that normies take are like that. You learn three or four times as much and as fast when you're actually at work. Doesn't mean it's not more effective to keep unskilled carpenters-to-be in a classroom until you're at least sure they know what the tools, joints and materials are named, and know that they can calculate angles and other relevant practical maths.

I agree in principle, in fact, it's possible in most trades to "just go to work" without ever seeing the inside of a classroom. But without the "official diploma" you rely entirely on your own networking skills.

Being an untrained craftsman means you're not a craftsman. The masters know this.
>>
>>987074
http://www.nrk.no/telemark/tilbyr-boliger-som-taler-haerverk-1.12933366

This is what Norway gives to those with what they call "little to no normal habitation ability".

>Norwegian article TL;DR:

>Municipalities are acquiring several so called "heavy duty domiciles", intended for those who cannot live in normal housing.
>Reasons include vandalism, trash overflow, threats and neighbour conflicts.
>The units are 15 square meters and have two windows, electrical outlets, a kitchen nook unit and a small bathroom with shower.
>Fixtures are heavy duty, the toilet and sink are one unit of brushed metal, the lamps are covered in grates.
>some of the intended inhabitants have debt of over 100.000 USD to the municipality, for property damages.

I mean, it doesn't prevent people from tearing the walls apart, of course, but when you're placed in a place with a bathroom like pic related, you should start to consider maybe NOT fucking up every place you live.
>>
File: heavyduty.jpg (61 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
heavyduty.jpg
61 KB, 1000x563
>>991380
The toilet/sink unit is similar to those in prison cells and hwy rest stops.
>>
>>991380
>>991381
>"little to no normal habitation ability"
So that's how you get immigrants to stop demolishing their own homes?
Now there just needs to be a way to make it 100% fireproof too in case they try to use the kitchen sink as a fireplace.
>>
>>991358
Well yes and no. There's a lot that you can learn yourself, and I agree that just doing it you'll get enough experience to do quite a lot, maybe even pass as someone with experience. But there's a lot that takes practice and some instruction as well. The internet seems to give the average idiot that can watch YouTube an advantage. Take someone that's never seen it done, is only average at math, has rarely picked up a hammer or saw, and have them build you a set of stairs...with a handsaw! I guarantee just watching them lay it out will be a laugh. Then have them try to lay out rafters, any kind really but make it for a hip roof. Keks will be had.
>>
>>991200

I know what you're getting at with shitty jobs on site, but I did just spend the past two days at work cutting I-joists for the second floor of the house we're framing. Not even the 560 TJI's at 36' come close to 150-180lbs, A 20' 360 TJI can easily be thrown on your shoulder and carried, sounds like that apprentice was just a pussy. Hell even 42' 360's can be carried by one guy picked up dead center, just not very fast as they start to wiggle with every step and make you look stupid trying to move with it.

Now if you're talking steel I-beams....god damn you are an asshole.

>>991938

Youtube videos are so hit and miss its fun to just go through and pick apart poor efficiency and assbackwards hack ways people go about things, especially stairs and rafters. Learning on the job is great for how to do some things, but even Foreman Bob might be an old school guy who never learned in a class room or union school and do things poorly.
>>
>>992037
It was steel, so paint me how you like, but I bet the prick won't be going through someone else's shit any time soon.
>>
>>991381
I wouldn't mind one of those in my home desu, looks easy to clean and solid, and I like the industrial design of it.
>>
>>992078

What in the fuck kind of residential work requires 50 steel I joists for a second floor and would be worth it to let a carpentry apprentice fuck around with iron workers jobs? I would assume no commercial carpentry outfit would even allow dicking around with that kind of slowdown in production.
>>
File: image.jpg (266 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266 KB, 1024x768
>>992201
Wat ?
>>
>>992239

Yeah, those are wood TJI joists and Microlam headers, standard floor system, like I was talking about in my first post>>992037
, then you followed up with saying they were steel here >>992078 and you had some apprentice lifting 50 of them for a second floor.
>>
>>992201
They're cut to size and shipped to site where they're affixed to concrete walls where U brackets are installed in the pour.

These were specifications laid out for us by the owner. We don't do cookie cutter places, we're 100% custom. Boss doesn't ask questions, he does the job according to what the client wants and the engineer specifies.

>>992396
This >>992239 wasn't me
>>
>>992697
engineer master race here.

Fuck off laboring scum. Enjoy seeing my chiropractor wife. You will just make us more money in the long run.
>>
>>992697

Sounds like some nice structure then, overkill but who cares, someone else pays for it with recommendations from dumbshit engineers like this >>992747
>>
>>992747
Sure thing kid.

>>993110
The place was gorgeous at the end of the build, but I'm still not sure what the super reinforced roof was about. It was obviously going to be used as a ln accessible space, but I'd say it was rated for 200lbs/Sq ft so that's insane to me. Maybe he plans on landing a chopper there who knows.
>>
>>989221
Here's a couple examples:

>Working in a crawl space
>accidentally shine the light in the journeyman's face
>calls me mean words or something, I don't pay attention, probably shitbag cause he always said that
>he tells me to show him I can handle something with more than 2 steps
>takes light from me
>shines it directly in my face
>saw that coming
>work for 10 to 15 minutes before it starts to get to me
>start having issues focusing
>tell him it's starting to affect my work
>"sorry about that, I'll take care of it"
>exits the crawlspace with the light
>use my phone to light the area and finish up
>looks through the hole to bitch at me for playing on my phone

Or
>tell the journeyman he's cutting studs too small, they're a 1/4 inch too small easy
>he cuts a bunch of new ones and makes me carry them all back, easily 30
>every single one is 2 inches too big
>take them back
>he cuts them again
>take them all back
>only 1 inch too long this time
>take them back
>"well if you know so much more than me then you get to use the saw today"
>cut one, try to cut a second
>he stops me and makes me go check the 1st one
>makes me cut each one and take it back before I can cut the next

The thing is, these guys told me later I was their favorite apprentice from my batch. I would hate to see what they did to the guys they didn't like.
>>
>>989221
Lol, i work in hvac and ive been training my helper for about a month now, this guy knew absolutley nothing regarding the field, so now since he has a bit more experience he sometimes annoys me with his egotism, i have to put him in his place sometimes, hell say dumb shit like it is the easiest trade and he could have my job in 5 months tops if he tries, okay faggot, its 95 degrees farenheit outside and ahu is in attic, transformer is burned, figurie it out cunt since you can do my job so easily, 45 minutes in the attic and still cant figure it out, meanwhile im bullshitting away in the van, after him coming to the conclusion that the tstat wire must be shorted from condenser, which is possible, ill give him that, i tell him to check the contactor, sure enough contactor coil is completley gone, and thats why faggot is why i get paid what i do and figure out the problem within 15 minutes
>>
>>993655
Are you union? I was thinking about going through the apprenticeship for that or the IBEW. I want to work in industrial, I see quite a few HVAC guys in a few of the plants I work in now, residual work. One set of guys just change filters once a week, or work on climate control systems for analyzer buildings. That seems interesting to me, and not too physically demanding, which would be good for me because I have a bum knee so continuous heavy lifting isn't going to work. Working conditions don't bother me.

Basically is the job rewarding, and does it pay well?
>>
>>993572
Why the fuck would you abuse your workers/assistants/apprentices this much?
>>
>>993829
I can say this, because of that it's a hell of lot easier for me to deal with bullshit. And it helps weed out people that will be a problem, won't want to work, can't handle the wprk, etc.
>>
>>987074
Wow you're one sore and miserable racist
>>
>>993850
Like I give a fuck what you call me. I'm not the only guy with stories about your precious shit skins. My buddy told me about one family that tore down walls so they could burn studs in their fire pit.

If you think handing something worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to people who have no respect for the country, people around them, or the hard work that went into their free fucking house, you're not only naive, you're worse than they are.

Go back to your reddit liberal echo chamber
>>
>>995312

So apart from the finish product being handed to worthless pieces of shit, would you still reccommend doing a habitat house? I'm a journeyman carpenter with about 5 years experience with remodels, additions and some new construction. I just like working with different carpenters so I can steal little tips and tricks from the old guys that have been doing it all their lives so I think I wouldn't who the house goes to when its finished.
>>
>>993850
He's right you know... A disproportionate amount of CPS claims, domicile destruction, ripping cables/piping out of walls is from east africans. Somalians just happen to be the largest single group of migrants.

If you were used to living in a tent burning a fire outside your house every day, hunting for scrap to sell so you can buy food, what the fuck makes you think you're capable of living in a house made of literal money and firewood?!
>>
>>996573
If you're an apprentice, it's a good place to learn stuff that will give you a leg up on other apprentices. As a journeyman, it's the single worst place to work. You don't get paid, you have to deal with a bunch of hipster faggots who think they're saving the world, and the end product doesn't last. Awful.

If you want to learn god stuff from old guys, look for work on an industrial or commercial gig. As long as you can keep pace with the work that's being done, guys will show you little tips and tricks here and there.

Don't expect a crash course in everything you don't know though, a lot of the work is repetitive and you may only learn a few little things once in a while.
>>
>>993829
1. Tradition of hazing that goes back hundreds of years.

2. Weeds out dipshits with sensitive buttholes.

3. Makes it more likely that in the future they won't fuck around and will do the job thoroughly, correctly, without bitching about it.

Had a trainee once who complained about everything nonstop, I think his father told him to get a job or be kicked out of the house. One day I had enough, told him I needed a series of hand-dug holes over here. He dug holes all morning, after lunch I told him I made a mistake, he needs to fill them all in and dig another set over there. At quitting time I told him there was a change of plans, fill them in first thing tomorrow. To his credit, he didn't quit, filled his holes in, and he shut the fuck up and made a respectable effort to work hard for the rest of the project.
>>
>>987074
>Carpentry 6th Edition by Leonard Koel

Does this book happen to cover post frame or timber frame buildings? Love the look of old buildings with exposed joinery, want to learn it for garages and barns but not as a job in the slightest.
>>
>>991380
I was actually thinking of this as a solution for homeless people with mental problems.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 239x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 239x250
>>991304
>>991200
i know your type , you know it all ,best tradesman I paid my dues noob types are the absolute most fun to fuck with on a job site. Love hiding your tools , mumbling measurements , breaking pencils it's an absolute treat to see you guys a shaking anxious mess by lunch

>>991361
Don't follow this advice just show up on time , in my experience a stranger showing up with coffee and donuts will 100% get you labelled a faggot first day out. If the guys aren't total smug dickheads that think they're Gods gift to mankind for knowing how to use a square and hammer they'll be happy to have you help out and learn as long as you're eager and not a retard. Just be honest explain and ask for help
>>
>>998342

I have the 5th edition from a couple years ago and it has a couple pages worth of timber frame details,nothing more than an overview really. Its a general purpose layout/concrete form/framing/finish carpentry book that union schools and vocational schools teach out of.

I'd look for a more specific "guide to heavy timber framing" book or something along those lines for more information with joiniery, layouts, design, etc
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.