[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Troubleshooting power outlet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: jewsdid911.jpg (44 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
jewsdid911.jpg
44 KB, 1152x720
I am trying to fix a power outlet in my bedroom. i have replaced all of them with new receptacles and still don't have any power to only 1 of them. I don't know if it matters but the outlet used to have a space heater wired to it. I have made a picture to explain whats going on
>>
>>986976
Did it ever work? What made it not work?
>>
>>986981
The outlet does not work still. If you're talking about the space heater that used to be there, the space heater worked. i don't know why it was removed
>>
>>986983
So the outlet worked until you plugged in a space heater and now it doesn't? Have you checked all the breakers in the main panel to see if any are tripped? There is no guarantee that all the outlets in your room are on the same circuit.
>>
>>986981
and the outlet hasn't worked since i moved into this room.
>>
>>986988
>uarantee that all the outlets in your room are on the same circuit.
well it was a wall mounted space heater that was wired directly into the wall. i have flipped all of my breakers to off and then on. i have replaced all 3 of the receptacles in the room. i have checked for tripped gfci outlets in the bathroom. if ou look at op picture, outlet 3 is where the space heater used to be. there was no power when i took a multimeter to the wires when i moved in. i thought maybe replacing the other outlets in the room would fix. i am out of ideas
>>
>>986992
k. So what probably happened is that there was a bad connection somewhere in the circuit and the space heater burnt what little contact there was. You'll have to trace the wire to figure out where it comes from. I'd start at the outlets in the room that is behind that wall.
>>
>>987000
how do?
>>
File: jewsdid911-2.jpg (48 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
jewsdid911-2.jpg
48 KB, 1152x720
here is an updated picture to show how many wires are in each outlet. i don't know if this is relevant information but here it is.
>>
>>987006
4 wires meaning 4 sets of wires or 4 single conductors?
>>
>>987008
4 wires = 2 black, 2 white, 2 ground. ok so 6 wires i guess
>>
>>987010
If that's so then there should be other outlets or lights in the house that do not work. Test the outlets in the room behind the wall that the bad outlet is on.
>>
File: upstairs.jpg (73 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
upstairs.jpg
73 KB, 1152x720
>>987013
i figured that too and its probably the case but the outlet is on an outside wall. i will look around my house a bit. here is a rough layout of my house
>>
>>987021
Sorry I went to sleep.

Check the room directly below your room then. A lot of tracking a circuit is intuition and experience which I can't convey over the intertubes so you'll just have to brute force it.

If you still haven't found it you might want to look into getting a cable tracker. It's a neat device you connect to a wire that sends a tone though it that a hand held device will receive. Northern tools/harbor freight has cheap ones for like 20 bucks. Google it to get an idea. Don't be surprised if you end up at a junction box in the attic.
>>
>>987129
Also, plugging a radio into the bad outlet and turning it on really loud while you're fiddling with other outlets and junction boxes is a good way to tell if you're in the right spot. If you bump the bad connection it'll make contact for a moment blaring the radio so you'll know.
>>
are the wall heaters 120 or 240 and are there any thermostats controlling them
>>
>>987004

Unscrew all sockets in the room and let them dangle. Pull on cable at affected and see which one moves. Replace cable between the two.
>>
>>987159
>At least 2 90 degree bends
>Cable stapled/secured every 12-18"
>Pull it.

Lol what m8.
>>
It is almost never the wire. Always a connection.
>>
>>986976
Could have been a 240v circuit disconnected in the panel when the heaters were removed. Check inside the panel.
>>
>>987425
Yeah but the 4 wires makes me think he's got a standard 110v circuit running though there... Unless the guys got a 240 heater right underneath him in relatively the same spot, then then jumped from first to second floor straight up, and disconnected the feed in from that heater still in use. Guy needs to use his Spidey senses and x-ray vision to determine when and where any remodeling may have been done, it could be on a switch or something stupid
>>
Are you sure the one outlet isn't switched? Sometimes one outlet is switched for table lamps...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.