[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey DIY, I'm trying to execute a painting I've planned.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: poplar panel.jpg (183 KB, 972x558) Image search: [Google]
poplar panel.jpg
183 KB, 972x558
hey DIY, I'm trying to execute a painting I've planned. I'm trying to create a 4x4ft pixel art painting. I've already planned everything out on graph paper, but I'm thinking the best way to actually make something this large would be to tile
9, 16x16in wood panels . This way I could use a t-square and triangles to transfer the sketch onto the pieces, and it would also be more easily transportable than one large piece of canvas or wood.

TLDR
What's the best way to square up rough lumber as perfectly as possible, and the cheaper the method the better. I don't mind rolling up my sleeves for hard work.
>>
>>986799
The only way to get it done 100% right is to use a planer and a jointer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbHwoi4kz8
>>
>>986807
thanks for the link, and this is a great solution, but do you know of one that's more economical. I don't have really have any access wood shop tools.

I have more time than money.
>>
File: hand planer.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
hand planer.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>more economical

if you were a master craftsman, preferably Japanese, you could use of these to get a perfectly flat surface. but you're not, so forget it. if you can find a small renovation company, you might phone and ask if they'll do it for you. sometimes they finish a job early, and can spare a few minutes when they get back to the shop.
alternately, find something already flat and cheap, like wallboard.
>>
Cheap lumber is going to expand and contract a lot over 4 ft as the seasons change. Can you deal with gaps and potentially warping?
>>
>>986904
I'm more concerned that it's square with 4 90degree corners so my T-square is true at any point or side. the mona lisa was done on a poplar board, so I figured that was a good wood to paint on. I've only ever bought wood from large commercial places like home depot, or menards. Are you saying buy the wood, and then try to bring it to a place to true it up for me, or that you can buy wood, and they will dimension it for me?

>>986928
4ft over all, but tiled 3x3 grid of 16 inch boards
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.