[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since I see that people post about computers here, and this is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_0014.jpg (401 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0014.jpg
401 KB, 1200x800
Since I see that people post about computers here, and this is also my first time on this board, could someone give me some experienced advice on this?

My computer used to run fine with Windows 7 before my brother decided to upgrade to Windows 10. I think this is to do with the system being 64 bits, and perhaps needing a more powerful processor to compensate the change.

Whenever I try to run games like sonic generations it tends to bit extremely laggy, and slowly deteriorates until the whole system crashes and blackscreens. This wasn't the case with win7 since it ran graphically demanding things like Assassins Creed quite easily for a long time. The time also ramps up when I attempt to render basic things in blender, more so with modifier.

tl;dr? my computer runs slow on win10 and I don't know what to do.
>>
>>984588
You're probably running the fallback graphics driver, instead of the manufacturer one.

If your card isn't supported on Windows 10 (and most Windows 7 AMD/Nvidia cards aren't, because if they were there'd be no reason for you to have to buy another one), download the latest driver for an older Windows that is supported, and install it anyway. It'll complain, but it'll usually work.

Also computer problems go to >>>/wsr/ .
>>
>>984588
Finally, you need to be scientific and determine if it's a before/after problem or a 7/10 problem.

If you now have the same problem in both OS, then your problem is that your vents are clogged, your heatsinks are clogged, your fans have broken, or your thermal pads/thermal paste has gone off.
>>
>>984592
Thank you for replying. I feel like posting on /diy/ would be a broader choice since I did not know whether I would need to replace hardware in the computer. I'll attempt a driver update too.
>>
>>984588
First of all: What's your graphics card?

It's probably a driver issue. Go to the graphics card manufacturer's website and download the newest driver and run it. That will work 9 times out of 10.

If that doesn't work, look up on Google to see if other people have had similar problems with that particular card and Windows 10.
>>
>>984597
just for the sake of replying while my drivers update, I'm not sure whether a clogging of fans would be enough to warrant a complete crash but I will clean them because they look pretty grotty I guess.
>>
>>984616
Yes it very much would, did you even check how hot it was under load? It also sounds completely ancient.
>>
>>984617
Yeah it's pretty old I guess, about five or six years. Should really start thinking about saving up for a new one but I have rose tinted glasses about it.
>>
>>984616
Yes it is. Overheating crashes video cards, it's a common problem.
>>
>>984621
Five year old hardware should still be competitive if it isn't bargain bin. Check your operating temps and then your VRAM.
>>
Alright, my drivers are updated now, and simpler games like shoppe keepe are running fine. I'm going to try playing sonic generations and see how that turns out, then I'm going to shut down, clean out the fans just to make sure it doesn't crash again.

Thanks for all the help guys.
>>
>>984588
>>984592
>>984598
this is why diy will always be better than /g/.
no fanboy shitposting, no memes. just helpful advice
>>
>>984663
I will remind you you are on the wrong board regardless and you are a shithead for it though. We really should not have helped you.
>>
>>984668
I would've thought there would be a dedicated board on 4chan for computer stuff, but I didn't know exactly where to go so I chose /diy/.

I think I just scrolled through the catalog and saw computers involved somehow, and encouraged myself enough to post a thread. Maybe it was some internal desire that some kind of engineering would be involved somehow?
>>
>>984674
>a dedicated board on 4chan for computer stuff,
No you faggot.
What you want is a board dedicated to free tech support.
/g/ will always tell you to fuck off.
/diy/ is not tech support board either
Learn to use google
Learn to use a computer
>>
>>984668
im not OP, and you can fuck right off. 99% chance /g/ would tell him to install linux, or delete the system folder, then dissovle into a heated argument which OS makes you more/less autistic.
>>
/wsr/ is the best board for this type of thread.
>>
File: DSC_0015.jpg (345 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0015.jpg
345 KB, 1200x800
>>984629
You know what? You were completely right. Guess I really am a shithead sometimes
>>
>>984743
>>984743
true. now let it die people
>>
>>984588
bye bye thread.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.