[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soldering joints upside down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
How do you personally solder upside down copper joints?
Of all soldering situations. I have found that soldering an upside down joint is one of the most technical. It's very do able in itself, but throw in an extremely awkward angle and flammable materials or a threaded adapter an inch below the joint and it can become a tough. I have seen upside joints the are overflowing with solder because the plumber wanted to be sure it was sealed.
And I understand that because my upside down joints are often sloppy looking, even for a 1.5 year plumber.
So how do y'all do it? How do you get that perfectly sweet upside down soldered joint?
>>
>>984343
Clean pipes with copper pot scratcher.
Apply flux.
Fit things together.
Blow torch as you tap the solder to the crack.
As soon as it melts and starts to suck in the solder you push the solder wire in until solder is seen all the way around the pipe.
Allow to cool.

The orientation of the fittings is irrelevant. Capillary action is what sucks the solder in. If it isn't going in, the pipe fittings are not hot enough or there's not enough flux.
>>
>>984345
I was taught that you should push the solder in all the way, or most of the way, around the joint to get a seal. Do you get a proper seal from holding the solder at just one point on the joint? I have always thought it is very possible that way, but my teacher never did it that way.
>>
>>984349
It depends on how large the pipe is. You have to use your eyes. If it is obvious that is isn't making it around, you push it around. It isn't rocket science.
>>
>>984343
>solder upside down copper joints

Gravity shouldn't make a difference. If the joint is properly prepared, fluxed and heated, capillary action will pull the solder into the joint.

I learned to heat one side of the joint (smaller pipes) and touch the solder opposite the point of heat application. When the joint gets hot enough, you can see the solder pulled into the joint. For very large pipes, you may need to move the torch and solder around the joint. But always keep them a few inches apart so the heat of the pipes pulls the solder in instead of aiming the flame at the solder and hoping the joint gets hot enough to make a proper joint.
>>
>>984343
If you're really having a hard time find some scrap pipe pieces and practice.
>>
>>984343
i wipe the joint clean with a bit of old heatproof mat before the boogers have a chance to solidify.
>>
>>984343

Its no different. Central heating installer here, the most important thing is to heat the right area and also not make it too hot.

With a standard blowtorch heat the part of the fitting that is down stream of where you solder. So if its a 22mm elbow i would heat the actual corner of the fitting. Keep testing with solder by touching the joint, as soon as its hot enough it will run. Personally i prefer to just apply it in one place. This way once done you can inspect the joint for a ring of solder that will gather all the way around.

If you are doing it right the way up the joint is will have 0 effect
>>
>>984343
heat above it and let the solder flow up into the joint. or just use something like propress or pex like everyone else. there is barely a need for actually soldering these days
>>
>>984545

Well its still cheap and if done properly the best form of joint long term.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.