[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got my first vehicle, a used '09 Tacoma I4 with a manual.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11
File: 09Tacoma2[1].jpg (14 KB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
09Tacoma2[1].jpg
14 KB, 300x180
Just got my first vehicle, a used '09 Tacoma I4 with a manual. Only 50k miles. What tools should I carry around in the thing in case it breaks down? They have got to fit inside the cab, behind the seats.

What I've got so far:

Long jumper cables
Good bottle jack
Fire extinguisher
Lug nut socket
long breaker bar
Combo wrench for battery terminals
Combo wrench for battery hold down
Adjustable wrench just in case
Some ratchet straps, one of which is very large
First aid kit
A few gallons of water
>>
a satellite phone with a direct line to the president
>>
Duck tape, needle nose pliers, nylon rope for binding things, led flash light, tyre repair kit/12v compressor, bungee cords and cheap uhf radio backup

also applicable if you offroad is a decent tow strap, d shackles, a shovel/axe.
>>
>>982896
>off road
>09 tacoma
>i4
>RWD

holy shit just stop. it can barely on-road.
>>
>>982899
Yeah, its a townie truck. I needed something that could a carry a good amount of cargo but don't need to go offroading with it.

>>982896
On the list

>>982895
I wouldn't trust a politician to blow his nose without fucking it up. I'd hate to see congress try to change a tire.
>>
>>982892
>Lug nut socket
>Combo wrench for battery terminals
>Combo wrench for battery hold down
>Adjustable wrench just in case

This is the wrong idea, you are supposed to have a full set of tools to work on your shit.

Then again getting an 09 truck with >muh toyota tax means youll probably just have it towed and worked on anyways.
>>
>>982908
Like I said, this is a townie truck. I'm not gonna get stuck out in the woods with this thing. I just need to have the tools it in to get it back up and running if something happens. Not rebuilt it into a airplane to get off a mountain top. That and I really don't have that much space behind the seats to carry that much. Its a regular cab.
>>
>>982892
>'09 Tacoma
>Only 50k miles
Pic one.
>>
>>982920
>I just need to have the tools it in to get it back up and running if something happens

Yeah, like replace an alternator or a starter or a thrown serpentine belt. None of which you could with without a full socket set and a full wrench set
>>
>>982892
Enjoy your empty water bottles
>>
File: img_2818_10362415[1].jpg (121 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
img_2818_10362415[1].jpg
121 KB, 640x360
>>982936
Again, I am not going to be hauling the entire contents of the NAPA catalog around in this thing. This is a list of road side emergency tools only. Not everything I might ever need to replace on the vehicle. Thats what my garage is for. I can't fit an alternator and a starter behind the seat on this thing. Nor will I be packing any brake rotors, spare radiators, engine flush machines, after-market body kits, or hydraulic lifts in the thing. We're talking the minimum kit necessary to change a battery, change a tire, tighten a few bolts after a fender bender or something like that. I'm not going to be dropping the pan and replacing the oil or doing its 60k service with these tools on the side of the highway. I'll be in my driveway for that and will be able to roll my toolbox out there.

Picture related. NOT what I want the back of my truck to look like.

>>982931
The truck saw light use for several years when the original owner was deployed to Iraq. When he came back he bought a Tundra and used this truck rarely. Its only had about 20k put on it the last 5 years.

>>982938
Thanks, I will.
>>
>>982892
those ISIS promo videos really sold you on the toyota.

>>982920
>back up and running incase it breaks
well there is really little you can do. I mean, go and replace any shonky looking hoses or replace all of them. it's 16 years old, the little slut has used up all the rubbers.

the only concievable thing you can repair on the road is a burst hose. which you can kind of fix by just cutting off the split end and temporarily joining the not broken part back to the engine.

repair things before they break, find the local dodgy tow truck driver who will repair it for cheap.

a jack is good for swapping tyres but like I've never had a popped tyre so I have nfi why i carry around my spare.
>>
>>982963
>'09 Tacoma
>it's 16 years old

Are... are you from the future?
>>
>>982957
>We're talking the minimum kit necessary to change a battery

Gonna fit a battery in the back of your seat too huh?
You are contradicting yourself. You are sitting here saying you are willing to pay someone to tow your car to your garage to work on it if you need to replace the starter.
Yet you think you will need to change your battery in a grocery store parking lot?

Your logic astounds me
>>
>>982969
The reason I'm asking for a list is because I had to replace the battery today. I walked a few blocks over to an auto-supply place and bought a new one but I had to bum an adjustable wrench off of a clerk to be able to install it. If need be I can probably get parts but I'm not planning to haul them all around with me and I don't want to have to buy tools I already own.

So either stop being an insufferable little shit and contribute to the thread or hide it and go bother someone else.
>>
>>982974
>So either stop being an insufferable little shit and contribute to the thread or hide it and go bother someone else.

Why make a thread when you already know everything? You are the one not listening to anyone else.
>reaffirm what I think I know or go away
Your head is stuck so far up your ass, you dont understand what you are saying is retarded.

Im sure having a single wrench specifically for your battery will do you great, 3 years from now when you need a new battery.
>>
>>982974
Protip: If you want advice, stop being an asshole to everyone that gives you advice.

You said yourself it's a townie truck, so you only need the most basic shit, everything else can be done by AA (or your countries equivalent)
So everything to change a tire (including doing it at night, so put a torch in there, get one of those wind up ones so the batteries don't go bad on you) and everything you need to deal with a flat battery (which you mentioned you already have) so stop being a pussy and just drive, if you break down and can't fix your shit with what you got, deal with it by calling AA.

You're acting like there is some magical bullshit that everyone has in their car to rebuild their engine that slips under their seat.
>>
>>982976
I ask for a list of simple emergency tools and you come back, repeatedly, saying I have to have a spare of half the stuff in my engine compartment and a full suite of tools carried around with me at all times. I already have everything I need in my garage for stuff like that but I don't have space behind the seat for my old craftsman rollaround. Its not happening. Get over it.

>everything else can be done by AA (or your countries equivalent)
I have AAA. I have used them 4 times in my life. Twice for flat tires (last one I couldn't get the lug nuts off with the tire iron even when standing on it, hence the long beaker bar and socket), once for detached radiator hose (hence why I now carry around a few gallons of water) and once for the battery (which is why I'm making this thread). Last time I called them I was on hold for 30 minutes before I even spoke with a person and they said it would be up to two hours before someone could get to me. They wouldn't even 'make an appointment.' I said I have shit to do, I will be back at the truck in 2 hours and they told me no, I had to sit there the whole time waiting for them or they wouldn't send anyone. I called the dealership they farm the work out too (as I said, I've used them 3 times before) and they said the wait was only 30 minutes but if I didn't make the call through AAA it was a $55 dollar fee just to drive out there before parts and labor. I walked a few blocks over, bought a battery and had it changed out in 20 minutes. I literally spend more time on the phone than it took to fix the problem. I'm not going through that again when the fix is that simple. So, for stuff like that, I'd like a list of tools I should have in the truck. I'll keep my AAA card, sure, and if I can limp back to my house I could take care of just about everything else.
>>
>>983074
But the problem is, you have no idea what you will encounter. If you truly want to be prepared, you will need a garage's worth in the back seat. It's that simple. You don't know what you'll be changing, or if you'll even be able to (e.g. on a busy road, part is beyond skill level, etc.).
>>
>>983074
I got AAAA. It's even better than yours.
>>
>>982892
Find out what rating of fuses your truck uses and get a couple of each.
>>
>>983074

Ok. So your preparing for shit that literally never happens. The breaker bar and socket for lug nuts I can see, but carrying water for the sole purpose of using it in the cooling system? Fucking why. Half the time its the clamps or the hose just blowing up, not simply loosening off.

Like fuck me your trying to prepare for shit that preventative maintenance and a simple look under the god damn hood every now and again would catch. Your being totally autistic to anybody offering advice and have to argue against -every- point everybody makes.

Carry a breaker bar and a socket for your lug nuts and a good set of jumper cables. Everything else is either going to be fucked when it breaks on the side of the road and need a new part anyway or you simply wont be able to fix it on the side of the road.

Maybe you should carry a gallon or two of gasoline for when your dumbass runs out of fuel. Makes sure to leave the can wide open so the fumes kill you quicker :)
>>
>>983074
>saying I have to have a spare of half the stuff in my engine compartment and a full suite of tools carried around with me at all times

Your reading comprehension is quite poor, all I said is you need to have a competent tool kit for when you do need to change a starter.
I never said you had to keep spare parts in your car you retard.

I literally only said to get a full socket set and a full wrench set. You are the one who then blew up and decided that you are going to defend your retarded idea of carrying single wrenches for very specific and rare problems.

And dont try to tell me you dont have room for an adequate tool bag in your truck.

My first car was a first gen regular cab S10, I guarantee you have more room that I did. I wasnt a cheap faggot so I bought tools I needed.

Instead of being a god damn woman and calling AA I was able to change my fuel filter, my starter, a radiator hose, and countless other things in parking lots to keep that thing running.

I understand that you are special and can see the future though.
>>
>>983074
>I have AAA. I have used them 4 times in my life.

Have you tried keeping extra tampons in your car?
>>
File: Capture.png (435 KB, 397x519) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
435 KB, 397x519
>>983323
Not this guy but also keep some toilet paper in your car. Very handy.

My first Captcha. Thanks Google.
>>
>>982892
I have a 2008 Tacoma just like yours with almost twice as many miles on it. You don't need to carry any tools it's the most reliable little pickup you could imagine.
>>
>>983350
>paying the toyota tax means that it doesnt need regular maintenance
>>
>>983350
Daily drivers fare better than cars that sit and get very little miles over a period of years.
Ill take a 100k mile daily driver over a 50k mile "sat for 5 years" car
>>
>>983356
I've been driving it for about 7 months and have put about 9k on it and the only problem so far has been the battery. Everything else seems fine and the last service came up clean. It wasn't left to sit, it just wasn't used daily. It was a second truck.
>>
>>983360
Impressive!
Doesnt make 20k miles in 5 years a desirable trait for your car. Its in the same category of "grocery getter" that takes nothing but short trips, its not a good thing for your car.
>>
>>983403
I want you to explain in detail how taking a car out once a week. is somehow "BAD" for the car? because to me it sounds like idiotic logic.

yeah I'm calling you out. as I have a craptastic car with 250k miles on it, that barely gets driven once a week. because I use my motorcycle for all my daily needs. yet the car is fine, hell it has sit longer up to a month without any bad effects other then dirty windows and a flat battery.
>>
>>982892
A set of both metric and standard sockets from smallest possible size up to maybe 24 mm/ equivalent with a small impact drill/driver (dont get autistic on me) and extensions for the sockets.

Also get a few good ratchets for all the different socket sizes.

These should not take more than about 2 square feet and a half of space if stored all together.
They will definately fit behind the seats.

Also a flathead and philips screwdriver.
Get those tips for the drill too.

Also make sure you have a small jack and stuff to change tires. Should be included with the truck but most used vehicles never have them.

Duck tape and those plastic tie straps of various sizes will also be handy, along with some strong rope.

Some small pliers for general use and to pull fuses incase you have electrical problems.
Backup fuses of all kinds and get the same model relays in your fusebox just incase they fail.
They arent likely to but its better to be safe.
Make sure you don't buy them from the dealership though, too expensive.

Get some bulbs to replace lights and also buy a torx set. If you really want to be cheap, buy pic related. It won't take up as much room as a proper set and most vehicles rarely require you to reach far or deep for a torx screw.

A decent led flashlight is also important.

Honestly OP, you are just a little bitch.
Your thread is kind of pointless if you ask for emergency stuff and when people tell you exactly what you need you tell them they are wrong.

An automobile is not a bicycle.
There is no simple magictool that will fix everytbing.

A lot of things can and will go wrong with your vehicle.
The only good advice that anyone can give you for an "emergency" set of tools is to be prepared for literally anything to happen.
So much can go wrong and it is usually pretty easy to fix with the proper tools.

If you think this is too much for you or too expensive, get a bicycle or ride the bus.
>>
File: 89ajm8.jpg (51 KB, 627x585) Image search: [Google]
89ajm8.jpg
51 KB, 627x585
>>983425
Forgot pic sry
>>
>>983421
Oh OP, you have much to learn if you are going to work on this truck and keep it running.
Also its a lot easier to just google it than trying to make up some fake anecdotal story.

The biggest reason is the seals in the engine hate being starved, so when you let it sit for a week or two gravity pulls oil down and lets them dry. Then they are under pressure for a short time while they are being relubricated with the engine turning over.

Then you have the case of fluids breaking down. Old fluid is bad fluid, it breaks down even if you arent running the engine. You may think "it needs done at this mile interval", when in reality the fluid has already broken down and isnt working as it should.

You could go on and say things like straining your alternator and hitting the starter and electrical system hard with a low battery, but you already have that covered.

You cant really think that letting your water pump sit and not working is good for it?

Its literally common knowledge, and you can permanently damage an engine that has been sitting a year or two by cranking it over without hand turning the engine with new fluids in it.

Also using your second car as a grocery getter, your engine wears the most as its warming up. You drive for 10 minutes to the grocery store and shop for an hour. It hadnt gotten to operating temperature when you get to the store, and it will be cold when you come out, it wont get to operating temperature by the time you get home.
You get internal scoring and glazing of your cyclinder walls. And since you never rev your engine high like on the highway, you get carbon buildup in your valves.

Not to mention you just create a lot of condensation in your whole exhaust system and then it just sits and never clears out.

Letting a car sit, and short trips are some of the WORST things you can do for your car. It creates accumulative wear way worse than daily driving a car. Its why miles are not indicative of actual wear and tear on a car.
>>
>>983430
That wasn't me.

>>983425
I'll add the stuff that wasn't mentioned before to the list.
>>
>>983425
Jesus christ, why dont you just have him put his rolling tool chest in the back of his truck!

Havent you read the thread yet!
>>
File: 8570657.jpg (644 KB, 3000x2353) Image search: [Google]
8570657.jpg
644 KB, 3000x2353
>>983425
He don't need both. Just a cheap set of spline sockets. They grab nut sides so they don't have to be an exact fit. They're like 20 bucks at home depot for a very basic set.
>>
>>983464
>spline sockets
wow that is some gimmicky shit
how about a normal 6pt
>>
>>982892
as far as tools go, a good 40pt+ ratchet will serve you well. the cheap 10$ socket sets are fine. but they will but open if you abuse them. they also tend to get about 2 clicks for every quarter turn so when you're working in tight spaces this can get annoying because you waste about an 8th of a turn for each crank. I have a kinchrome 1/2" ratchet with a 3/8 adapter and it serves me well.

>>983336
it thinks the stems are poles. so you just select the ones with broad leafs and shaddows. it thinks its an arabic street sign. so right top middle, right bottom middle, bottom left, middle right bottom middle is the correct answer.
>>
Look guys lets stop and think about this for a second, he's talking about this being a towny car and carrying loads around.

I think he's trying to get an idea of tools he can use to break into stuff.

He wouldn't be the first would-be thief to ask us for help.
>>
>>983475
or he's just worried about his car breaking down. the answer to which is that there is nothing you can fix on the road except maybe a split hose. or maybe a dicky starter that you can bang on with a hammer. and sure you can carry some spare hoses around or a hammer. but really a split hose is like a once in 10 year thing. but that's not going to really be all that useful.

>used to keep a hammer in my car because I couldnt afford to replace the starter bushes.
>>
>>983464

>im going to say that <this> is the best possible option because they are rare, which will make me seem special
>>
>>983350
If we're talking powered by 2TR-FE, i've got a 2.7 hilux, the engine is rock solid. You dont need tools like you say, the only thing that has EVER happened is a puncture but the car comes with a little tool kit and car jack anyway.
The engine has never ever even thought about giving a problem.

And anyway everyone knows a redline a day keeps the mechanic away...
>>
>>982892
Flashlight. Box of spare fuses. Magnetic mount red LED strobe (forget road flares).

Invest in good long life lithium battery powered lights. Alkaline batteries will have died and leaked electrolyte when you finally pull them out of the glove box years later.
>>
A tiny air compressor, needle nose pliers and a tire plug kit will come in very handy. If you have a slow air leak no problem. Two tires hit a nail at the same time no problem. The air leaked out of the spare tire and it is flat as well no big deal. The most likely item to fail is your tires and nails don't care if you replaced a tire yesterday. 25 bucks for the compressor and plugs and you should have a extra needle nose somewhere and you are set for years.
>>
>>982892
Get a nice metal job box in the back, and a roof rack for the spare.. also give it a 3" lift
>>
>>983464
Regular spline socket sets are amazing.
Universal Spline sockets are fucking trash that round off every fastener you use them on.

Completely worthless
>>
>>983467
>spline sockets are gimmicky

The universal ones that do SAE and Metric together are gimmicky, but Splines have been around for a very long time.

>>983487
>you can buy Husky, Kobalt, and Craftsman ones for cheap at big box stores
>every major tool truck company from Matco/Mac/Snap-on/Wright/SK makes them

>they are rare
>>
>>982963

>Tacoma
>ISIS

Kek Isis probably has a total of 4 Tacoma's and 72,538 hilux.
>>
>>983487
How is a $20 rachet/socket set available from any big box store rare?
>>
>>982892
Tools? How about a cell phone and AAA
>>
>>982902
>I'd hate to see congress try to change a tire.
well on paper the entire job costed about 37 billion.. but in the end all you were left with was a doughnut tire.

>select all taxis
yea, what youll be taking home after you get tired of the political bullshit involved in tire changing.
>>
File: retard-image[1].jpg (31 KB, 460x347) Image search: [Google]
retard-image[1].jpg
31 KB, 460x347
>>983989
>Herp a derp, I didn't read the thread but I still want to seem like an internet badass.
>>
Ring clamps for hose or pipe failures
Extra thing of coolant
Spare heavy gauge wiring and wire strippers. Butt connectors.
Hi-lift jack
Blanket
Extra u bolts
>>
>>982892
honestly 09 inst that old, and 50k is still new.
I wouldn't carry much just because the odds of it getting stolen are greater than the odds of you needing it.

I would however carry whatever is needed to change the tires.
My car is 20 years old, and at about 137k and its just now starting to give problems that I would feel better having tools on me for.
The only things that were actually fixable on the road side that I have had to deal with was a bad grounding connector for the fuel pump leading to a stall and no start.
Other than that, nothing else was fixable away from the house. I had a brake line go out and a pair of vice grips would have been nice to crimp the line just to get back home.
>>
>>982892
keep the money you were going to save on accessorizing and save up for a timing belt service. in another 4 oil changes you're going to be due.

so buy
>timing belt
>timing belt tensioner
>water pump
>Idler pulleys
>ratchet
>breaker bar
>front cam and crank seals
>sockets
>loctite
>torque wrench
>service manual
>jack
>jack stands

or just save up the 600$ or so to have a professional do it for you.
>>
>>982936
>replace an alternator or a starter or a thrown serpentine belt.
>replace anything
>all that plastic.

More than likely op isn't going to even need the wrench. As soon as it starts making any sound it'll probably go to the people who know what they're doing.

People these days act like cars are still cars, they are not, they are computers on wheels. Good luck fixing anything when the computer forces the car to run in "limp mode" when it's just a blown fuse.

Also, how about a fuse set?
>>
>>983074
>Just got my first vehicle
>used AAA 4 times
>on wut?
>>
>>984511
This is the first vehicle that is owned by me and that only I drive. Before that I was driving my folks cars for several years while I went to college.

>>984508
>Also, how about a fuse set?
Already on the list

>>984439
I've already got most of that stuff in my garage.

>>984125
Adding to the list, thanks.
>>
>>982892
take this as you will

In my car at all times I've already got an extra fan belt, 2 gallons of water, 2 quarts of oil, an air filter, duct tape, some fuel and vacuum hose (about 4 feet of each), a few hose clamps, 50 zip ties in various sizes, a small 12V air compressor, a 3/8" breaker bar, ratchet, socket and wrench set all in metric (depends on your car), an S&W 5906 with 5 mags and 3 boxes of ammunition, a Hayes manual, jumper cables, 4 road flares, and some bailing wire.

That covers everything I've ever had to deal with on my car.

That does not count my backpack that has 3 MRE's, iodine tablets, an M15 gas mask with two filters, a Glock 22 with 4 mags and 4 boxes of ammunition, a bic lighter, a canteen cup w/ titanium spork, a Mora Clipper, a small first aid kit, change of semi-nice clothes (khakis and a light yellow polo) with two pairs of underwear, two pairs of socks, a pair of gloves, a Flecktarn parka, and some small silver coins.

That bag moves to whatever car I use that day.
>>
If to have enough room I'd carry a rolling floor jack, way way way better than a shifty bottle jack and you don't have to get underneath your truck to lift your pumpkin
>>
File: 1461870270879-1868262749.jpg (959 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1461870270879-1868262749.jpg
959 KB, 2048x1152
>>982892
>>
>>982892
A 50. caliber MG :)
>>
File: CATGen2[1].png (214 KB, 670x425) Image search: [Google]
CATGen2[1].png
214 KB, 670x425
>>985892
Fucking A, anon. I blew up my old one and just bought pic related. Now I don't have to bring an inverted when I go camping to fill up he air mattress and and run leds. Even has a usb for charging phones.
>>
>>984439
If OP's car is in fact powered by the 2TR-FE which it likely is: The engine does not feature a timing belt and associated hardware.
The auto tensioner for the AUX belt has a normal bearing in it which can be replaced. The pair of bearings in the bottom idler for the AUX belt can be replaced too. The top idler is an assy and has to be replaced whole.
I replaced mine at approx 90,000km and had very little wear, none to cause any concern.
>>
Bottle jack. Breaker bar with lug nut sized socket, flash light, 2 quarts oil, 1 pint dot brake fluid, empty gas can, spare belt, spare oil filter, length of tubing sized for radiator hose , bailing wire, basic tools ( sockets , pliers, adjustable wrench, funnel, wheel chock, strap wrench, jb weld for that last ditch)
>>
File: motherfuckerablablagh.gif (998 KB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
motherfuckerablablagh.gif
998 KB, 500x220
>>982896
>Duck tape

ITS DUCT TAPE YOU MOTHERFUCKER!

>YFW DUCK BRAND DUCT TAPE
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 327x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 327x195
Seriously.
>>
>>987432
Hey, someone didn't read the thread! Congrats dude. You are a piece of shit.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 320x155) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 320x155
>>987444
I skimmed the thread. It's shit anyway. Fuck you lol.
>>
>>987432
this.

>>987444
you have them tow it to your house where you can then work on it with all the fucking tools you can stuff in your garage you fucking autist.

OP get the shit to change a tire, some extra coolant, some power steering fluid, and for gods sake a can of brake fluid... and some duct tape and a roll of mechanics wire... maybe some needlenose pliers and an 11 in one screwdriver... that with a flashlight will let you get it back into limping home mode... unless it's something major.. then as above you use the triple A to tow it home and fix it so your not dropping a transmission on the fucking side of the fucking highway...

oh, also fun fact one of the aaa membership benefits is that they will post bail for your if some joe blow cop in the middle of "my sister is my wife and grandma" west virginia decides to pull you over and jail you for fun... up to I think 10k worth, but they'll only do it once...
>>
>>982969
Not op but replacing a battery in the parts store parking lot is the only place I've changed a battery. Hard or jumped start, roll to Napa, and replace the battery. Never had a bad alternators below 100k miles. Knock on wood.
>>
>>986201
I think the timing chains on those have a service interval of 150 000km though. well the next generation does anyway. timing chains last forever.
>>
>>987463
it's usually either the belt or the cables that fuck up anyway. you catch it with a dying battery before the alternator dies hopefully.
>>
>>987490
I don't think they have a service interval at all, like you say the chain will probably outlast the engine however I suppose it would be recommended to replace when re-building the engine which we hope OP wont be doing on the side of the road.
The 1KD has a rubber belt which is replaced at 150,000km so yeah the chain will go on forever.
>>
>>987508
my understanding is that they still slip and stretch. I dont know. never owned anything with a chain drive. my understanding is that the chain will never break before the life of the car or ~400k
>>
>>987510
Over time i suppose it will stretch eventually, but i can almost guarentee you in the meantime is it won't slip unless you have an actual mechanical failure because i rev mine hard and put it on the limiter regularly and it just loves life.

Honestly though i truly believe that most of what people have recommended is well and truly beyond what you need. The car (mine did anyway) comes with a basic tool kit, being a jack and spanner for wheel nuts, also a screw driver both flat and Philips and 2 or 3 open ended spanners.
The only other equipment you legitimately need is perhaps a torch and jumper leads. If you want to get serious throw in some cable ties, duct tape and a leatherman and you'll be able to fix anything.
The 2TR is a refined engine and has replaced bullet proof designs such as the 22r and the 3rz and it is extremely unlikely it will ever let you down especially if complimented with correct and regular maintenance.

You only need 3 tonnes of tools, parts and fluids if your taking the thing to mars, you'll never be afar from your house, a servo or a parts shop.
>>
its a toyota
you wont need anything for another 400k

its a toyota
why would he even need imperial sockets?
only the shit brands still use imperial cap bolts
>>
>>987800
Retards like you are why the Toyota Tax exists, and why tow trucks still make decent money
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.