[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to increase my knowledge of chemistry. My high-school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: IWK8J1XB6qazIVn.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IWK8J1XB6qazIVn.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
I want to increase my knowledge of chemistry. My high-school chemistry class was optional and now I regret not taking it. What are some experiments that could help me learn about different things chemistry related.
>inb4 thermite and gunpowder or anything related to ammonia or dangerous
Also it would be better if they don't require labs or very powerfull ovens.
>>
Hijacking thread.

How hard is it to build a soxhlet extractor and source good quality butane to make THC containing resins?

Inb4 stoner, i dont smoke weed, but it seems like a cool project to try.
>>
First step on the road to chemistry is learning to make fluorine gas. After that you could try making chlorine tri fluoride.

Trust me anon
>>
DIY chemistry is not socially acceptable anymore. Most reactions are profoundly complex anyway so you'd be better off at least taking a community college run-down in the interest of not poisoning yourself or others but chances are you won't have access to chemicals or instruments anyway. If you don't have the drive to at least pick up a book concerning some particular reaction or any of the voluminous writings of chemists i wouldn't bother with any of the above.
>>
>>982361
well i've never found experiments to actually be that useful in learning chemistry. but titration is a pretty common thing in chemistry and youll only need about 3 chemicals and a special glassware thing. basically you pour one liquid into another until a thing happens. very exciting stuff
>>
>>982373
Seconding this: CTF is chemical of the year
>>
>>982367
why use a soxhlet for essential oil extraction when you can just get a co2 canister and perform cold co2 extraction?

you cant use butane like that anyway retard. the solvent would just evaporate. it's a gas at room temperature.
>>
>>982373
>Chemists attempted to identify the material that was capable of etching glass and George Gore was able to produce a small amount of fluorine through an electrolytic process in 1869. Unknown to Gore, fluorine gas explosively combines with hydrogen gas. That is exactly what happened in Gore's experiment when the fluorine gas that formed on one electrode combined with the hydrogen gas that formed on the other electrode. Ferdinand Frederic Henri Moissan, a French chemist, was the first to successfully isolate fluorine in 1886. He did this through the electrolysis of potassium fluoride (KF) and hydrofluoric acid (HF). He also completely isolated the fluorine gas from the hydrogen gas and he built his electrolysis device completely from platinum. His work was so impressive that he was awarded the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1906. Today, fluorine is still produced through the electrolysis of potassium fluoride and hydrofluoric acid as well as through the electrolysis of molten potassium acid fluoride (KHF2).
Neat!
>>
>>982361
Buy a basic chemistry textbook from amazon or something, or take a class at your local community college.
>>
>>982541
>take a class at your local community college.
This is really the only way you're going to learn anything besides a few neat tricks that you won't actually understand. There is so much theory to cover in chemistry.
>>
>>982361
To answer OP.
Go to your closest community college, take intro to chemistry, and chem 1 if you have the math knowledge to do so.

Thank me later.
>>
>>982367
Put down the bong, Bitch!

>Mfw: Every couple of weeks there's a story about someone blowing shit up and catching shit on fire using the butane extraction method.
>>
>>982361
Don't learn the basics through experiments. Take a community college course indeed.

If you want to go further, "Principles of Analytical Chemistry" by Skoog for Analytical Chem and Chemistry & Introduction to Chemistry by McMurry.

We started with those books and i have to say i got more out of the books than any of the lectures or experiments.Oh, and also, OCW.
>>
>>982367
Super Critical CO2 extraction is what you want.

Look up Applied Science on Youtube. He has some great vids on extracting caffeine with it. I've done a general caffeine extraction with chloroform and by soxhlet (with chloroform) but CO2 was way easier.
>>
>>982361
You will be best served learning theory if you are actually series about getting a working, useful knowledge of chemistry.

However it sounds like you simply want to be able to do some "cool" reactions. Look up "Nile Red" and "Nurd Rage" on youtube, both have some experiments with decent explanations. Be aware that you may have trouble sourcing chemicals required depending on where you are. Make sure to follow safety procedures unless you want to end up like my friend who shot hot labware glass through his arms after a runaway reaction.
>>
>>982576
no co2 sucks and wont extract a full terpene profile so unless your going to fractionally distill what you have left over use butane and make shatter in a vacuum purge oven
>>
pH is like, super fucking basic and necessary for so much of chem. Read up on pH, titration, buffers, pH indicators, electronegativity, simple batteries. Go through calculations for energetic reactions, understand how a calorimeter works and its limitations.

Organic starts with naming molecules. Naming starts with the basic shit like Iron (II) Oxide.

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/assessment/reftable/chemistry-rt/chemrt-2011.pdf

A lot of periodic tables are actually pretty terrible, ours is very simple and clear.
>>
>>982361
Make drugs
its one of the few ways you can get rewards for your hobby.

Start with extractions which are simple and versatile. An alkoloid Mescaline extract is pretty simple. LSA and even some basic opioids can be done in your home with minimal risk.

Anything that is fairly potent and mostly lab based is going to be hard to source so get things like LSD and MDMA out of your head unless you really are prepared.

I have a question for everybody else in the thread
are plastics beyond the realm of possibility of a home lab
>>
>>983066
helps to be able to have a pressurized container that allows you to heat and agitate.
>>
>>982877
seconding those youtubers.
This level of amateur/semi-amateur chemistry can lead to some fun projects if you are careful. Considering making some silver mirrors myself after watching nurdrage handling silver nitrate.
>>
>>983066
Some are pretty difficult and expensive to make, some others are pretty easy and cheap to make. Bakelite is one of the easiest.
>>
>>983066
>basic opioids
Anon pls, if you're fucking with me tell me now. Otherwise you're gonna have to elaborate.
>>
>>982361

Chemfag here. Pick of Gonick's cartoon guide to chemistry (surprisingly serious and well-written book, covers most of AP chem). If you're still interested, take community college courses.

Chemistry isn't really a hobby, unless you want to set up neat science tricks for kids. If that's the case, try to volunteer at a local science museum, or science summer camp. There's also science outreach programs in many cities, so try contacting local schools to see how you can help.

Doing experiments to learn chemistry can be fun, but gets expensive real fast. Anyone telling you to make homemade drugs is a fucking retard.

t. 3rd year PHD student
>>
>>983229
Not that guy, but I can second that. All his books are good, especially his history books. The first one focuses more on religion than I had expected but if you're interested in the Bible it's worth a read.
>>
>>983016
It's clandestine. Of course it's shit.
>>
>>982373
>chlorine tri fluoride
>It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

Chemistry is awesome
>>
>>982361
You don't learn chemistry solely with experiments. It's hard and complicated, requires a lot of theoretical and practical work. But understanding a bit of how matter works is deeply satisfying.
>>
>>982574
skoog is super technical for a novice bro. I'd say buy an old quantitative analysis book by harris on amazon. you can probably get the 6th edition now for under 20 bucks. harris has pictures with some color while skoog is purely diagrams of how instrumentation works.
>t. I've used both books on way to phd
>>
>>982574
>>983696
Also, Skoog is highly unlikely to publish any new editions of his book given the fact that he is dead.
>>
>>983066
Seconding this. It's a degenerate hobby but it is a way to practice basic chemistry, get some interesting and immediately rewarding results, and maybe some money or fun.

But please, please stay away from the opioids. You don't want to take them, and you don't want to associate with anyone who wants to buy them. Opiate addicts *will* fuck you over for money, or for a lighter sentence when they inevitably get caught.

Stick to the hallucinogens. The psych scene is a lot more easygoing, with a lot less shitty people than fucking opiate addicts. You can also take a trip or two yourself without serious risks.

I'm about to try my own LSA extraction in a week or so.
>>
>>982367
it's not feasible to run large quanities in glass extractors like that, and THC is not so insoluble that you get much benfit from using aparatus like that over one inch PVC pipe.

>>982519
>you cant use butane like that anyway retard. the solvent would just evaporate. it's a gas at room temperature.
it's not room temprature when you decompress it matey.
I love how people always say BHO extraction doesn't work when I do it every couple months.
>>
>>983208
you know paradine or any of the other codine/paracetemol mixes?

extracting codine.
>>
>>983803
this is probably advice I should take.
annecdotaly, it is 100% accurate.

mescalin - easy and often legal to grow, easy to extract
LSD - no fucking idea how to make i had it explained to me once and it involved evaporating somthing in a vaccum and I stopped listening., buy the liquid and make your own blots.
Musrooms - hard to find, easy to grow easy to sell
Opiates(codine/methadrone etc) easy to get, easy to extract, as anon mentioned above... a bitch to sell
weed is just like growing gold. and sells easier.
>>
>>983936
LSA's supposed to be very easy as well. A distant cousin of LSD, about 1/10 the potency. You can get it from morning glory seeds. There's a complicated extraction process on erowid that gets the best results, but you get a passable product if you simply grind up the seeds, remove all the bits of shell, and steep the powder in cold water for a while.

Just remember that the shells can make you sick, make sure to get rid of all of them. And avoid both light and heat, they both ruin the LSA.

An interesting bit of chemistry research would be figuring out how exactly all that works. I don't have a damn idea.
>>
>>983972
yeah I saw a failed LSA extraction at my mates house, we came to the conclusion leaving it in the kitchen with the curtains open was the killing blow. but it was probably a variety of factors.
the main issue was the seeds he brought were likely treated with some kind of pesticide we discovered, which can have some kind of inhibiting factor in the cold water extraction.

I've heard you can extract LSA it from a common mold that grows on living barley and wheat as well, but it sounds like more hassle than anything

I find growing mescalin and mushrooms much easier, both in growing and extraction, also producing a similar genre of product, which i can then sell and just use the money to import actual liquid LSD.

somewhere over in canada there is a solid supplier that must have a lab equipped to the teeth and some fucking know-how because there is no way they can sell that shit so cheap without dealing with outragous quanties.
>>
>>982361
It depends, do you want to learn chemistry or just do fun experiments? No judgement either way.

You don't need to be hands on to understand chemistry, just buy an old (read cheap) chemistry textbook and read it. Or check out free lectures online. I hear MIT has them available.

If you want to just have fun wrecking shit, I dunno what to tell you, I'm sure there are lots of ideas for chemistry experiments online. I know that thebackyardscientist is a great youtuber that does fun and manageable experiments you could replicate.
>>
>>982389
>>983803
>not socially acceptable
>degenerate hobby
As somebody who took Chem 101 and decided against going down that path, what's with the massive social pressure limiting the actions of chemists? Medical researchers have protocol which dictates working in sterile conditions and publishing even minor helpful information to your research contractor. Pharmaceutical researchers have arbitrary taboos and guidelines which keep them from stepping out of line or conducting certain experiments.
It directs development and by doing so impedes the overall expansion of the field. That's not to say that I support self-testing or irresponsible and reckless syntheses, but a lot of encouraged practices are pretty nonsensical.
>>
>>982361
remingtons pharma manual
>>
>>983934
>codine
If you have codeine, you can probably make the other two. I call bullshit.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.