[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ Is it a stupid idea to make a pvc desk, like in (h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: FPZJOHMHPKJB8MB.MEDIUM.jpg (33 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
FPZJOHMHPKJB8MB.MEDIUM.jpg
33 KB, 620x465
Hey /diy/
Is it a stupid idea to make a pvc desk, like in (http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-and-pegboard-deskworkbench/step3/Step-2-Making-the-legs/ ) by making a pvc frame, and using a bracket mount and some MDF to give it a nice top?
Pic unrelated, just /tg/
>>
yes

pvc will shatter after a period of time

pvc is also not that as rigid as metal or wood
>>
>>981817
Got any cheep ass desk plans, then? ~40$ range, preferbly cheeper.
>>
What kind of tools do you have? Do you have an electric drill, a hand saw, a tape measure, screws, sandpaper, etc...? Do you have scrap wood lying around? I don't think it would be very comfortable to rest my hands on un-sanded plywood or MDF.
>>
File: melamine desk.jpg (122 KB, 1239x783) Image search: [Google]
melamine desk.jpg
122 KB, 1239x783
If you have a circular saw then you can easily make a desk from melamine or other similar sheet goods.

I made myself one recently that is 2.4m (8') long.

Only took 2.5 sheets of melamine which cost me ~$35 per sheet (Australian pricing)
>>
>>981798

I dont see a problem with PVC as long as you dont plan on putting a shitload of weight on it.. a computer monitor and KB mouse would be fine on this. if you use larger PVC such as 1-2" the strength eill be better
the only problem I see is alot of flexing as PVC isnt very rigid on its own, unless you fill the pipes with concrete or something
>>
>>981950
Dimensional lumber is cheaper, stronger, and easier to work with.
>>
>>981840
No scrap wood, Have all of those tools. Those are bretty basic tools, man. Also got a circular saw and a scroll saw, just no real idea how to use the later two.
>>
>>981970

yeah but some people want that "industrial" look that pipes bring. altho if I was going for that look I would use threaded metal pipe not shitty ass PVC
>>
>>982142

>pvc
>"industrial"
>>
>>982162
That's not what he said, you tard. Try reading it again.
>>
>>982172
that was referring to the "some people" the poster mentioned
>>
>>982182
Pic and industrial still aren't even in the same sentence.

He's saying some people want an industrial look.

And then he says if he were doing it he would use something else, not pvc.

Nothing there

>implies

That pvc is industrial
>>
>>981798
Depends if you have a plan for a solid table top.

If you use PVC for supporting the tabletop (ie like your picture) it'll be plenty fine. Just ugly. Seriously, spray paint the damn thing.

On the other hand, if your table top is not rigid, (like relatively thin plywood/OSB) and the frame needs to prevent it from bending, PVC will straight up not work, at least not if you want it to end up cheap.
>>
if the desk doesn't need to be moved around, make a floating desk out of some 2x4s and a project plywood panel

even with a hand saw and a cheap chisel and glue you can make half lap and dado style joints, and if you put two angled struts on the sides down the wall or up the wall and tie them into studs that shit will be strong as fuck
>>
http://www.homedit.com/20-diy-desks-that-really-work-for-your-home-office/

http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/how-to-make-a-space-saving-floating-desk

but don't use mdf, that shit doesn't last

making 2 saw horses and using a piece of recycled(read dumpster find) counter top or a door, anything fucking works

let your inner jew help you find stuff to make into your furniture
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 816x503) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 816x503
Just google single sheet plywood desks.
Plenty of free plans out there, but also simple to draw up your own.

Only tools you need, jigsaw, drill, screwdriver and some clamps. If you don't have those tools then you'll struggle to build any desk.
>>
>>984534
MDF will keep its condition longer than you do if you prep it correctly. "Particle board", the compressed wood chip crap they sell at Walmart, is what you're thinking about. Seal the edges of a large slab of MDF with resin and it's the perfect desk top.
>>
File: IMG_2819.jpg (480 KB, 1704x1278) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2819.jpg
480 KB, 1704x1278
Obligatory 2x4 table coming through.
>>
>>984943
Yea, i know if you seal it properly it isn't horrible but doing that on a small budget isn't worth it went they sell 2'x3'/2'x4' project plywood sheets way less hassle

Or make the actual desktop out of 2x4s edge glued and slap a piece of masonite on top with a countersunk screw in each corner and you can beat the shit out of the surface and just replace it later for the 5 bucks a 4'x8' sheet costs

I do that with my workbench though i just put a strip of wood around the top
>>
>>984950
Dat sag
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.