[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>24" centers >no joists >b-but why is my roof sagging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>24" centers
>no joists
>b-but why is my roof sagging

Why don't people do things the right way?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>980965
iPhones suck.

Here's a better pic
>>
To save a few bucks and get the job done a day earlier.

Because in 10 years when problems do arise, the homeowner forgets the contractor name, or the contractor has changed company names and can no longer be held liable for the incorrect installation.
>>
>no joists

Is that not what I am looking at?
>>
>>980983
No you're looking at rafters. The joists run parallel from wall to wall and make up the ceiling. Usually.
>>
>>980965

The same reason you can't use correct terminology: they probably don't know better.
>>
>>980986

Those aren't rafters. Jesus.
>>
File: Bodger-and-Badger-010.jpg (33 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Bodger-and-Badger-010.jpg
33 KB, 460x276
>>980965
>untreated timbers
>unpainted plywood
>wrong length clout nails gone right through the boards
your garden shed was erected by a bodger or an optimist. you should check for a rotten foundation where the floor has been laid directly on dirt.
>>
>>981002
>>untreated timbers
>>unpainted plywood
>>wrong length clout nails gone right through the boards

WTF are you on about? Do you think you need pressure treated lumber for a roof? Painting the plywood? Nails too long? Seriously explain your retarded post.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 736x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 736x445
>>980987
>>980988
Kill yourselves because of pic related

>>981011
Some environments are that humid.
>>
>>981020

Rise...run...

Ah fuck it. No point. Continue on.
>>
>>981011
>Do you think you need pressure treated lumber for a roof? Painting the plywood?
for shed construction, absolutely yes. unless you want it to delaminate and bow and sag and eventually rot out from the exposed edges.

>Nails too long?
a nailed felt roof should be attached with short shanked, broad headed clout nails that don't go all the way through the roof boards. nails that go all the way through are guaranteed leak points once the tar in the roofing felt starts to harden and crack away.
doesn't apply so much to shingles because they have overlap instead of exposed nailheads, but who would shingle a garden shed?
>>
>>981050
>but who would shingle a garden shed?
somebody who wanted a nice looking shed.
>>
>>980965

I see this all the time with home made car ports especially. Pine 2x4's all the way around. 4X4's in dirt only that start to lean in from the roof having no pitch holding water and debris furthering the sag.

I will admit most people aren't contractors, but common sense has to dictate the perimeter, center, and load bearing areas of any type of decking, roofing , etc should use at minimum doubled up of whatever you are using, but usually bigger stronger pieces.

"Professionals" did my neighbors porch, the center sag on it is so bad its hard to imagine these people continue a business. It sags so bad it almost looks on purpose.
>>
>>980965
Trusses are 24" centers, and I think sometimes non-professionals see this in their garage or "attic" and just go with it. Doesn't excuse shoddy building, because Google isn't hard. They're also cheap.
>>
>>981068
24" oc is standard spacing. Likely this is caused because they used 2x4 instead of 2x6.
>>
>>980965
>Shed
>House

The two are not the same
>>
>>981050
>Someone who isn't a nigger
>>
>>981050
>>981057
I see this all the time on here, are shingles and felt/tar the only roof options that Americans consider? (I didn't mean that in a condescending way, before you get all defensive) In Australia it's either tile or corrugated sheet metal, shingles or felt/tar roof is ever hardly seen.
>>
>>981265
Its the cheapest roofing material in most places. There are many other kinds. Asphalt & rock, steel, copper, Spanish tile, concrete tile, slate, wooden shake and others are all used. It varies by locale quite a bit but generally the cheapest wins out.
>>
>>981078
Standard for pre-fab trusses. Old fashioned stick built with joists and rafters is 18" oc, at least where I am.
>>
>>981277
>shingles are cheap

not really... In Florida your shingles have to be hurricane rated [typhoon for you chinks and west coasters] and at a lot more silent than sheet metal/copper roofing. plus if one spot goes bad, you can pretty much easily replace them yourself.

spanish tile/clay/slate roofs are nicest, and keep your home the coolest temperature wise. but require a beefy support and foundation system. most stick framed stuff [common in the US] wont hold.

asphalt and rock is pretty much flat roofs only.

and wood, well it last 10 years, if you're lucky... also heavy

so. fiberglass shingles aren't only used because their cheap, they are lightweight, easy to replace. too.
>>
>>981293
>your shingles have to be hurricane rated

for a shed or a garage?
>>
>>981299
Mhmmm. any structure mounted to the ground pretty much.. if its floating [on cinder bricks] then no, because different code... problem was with the old way of attaching tiles. was they where coming off, and blowing around creating a huge mess everywhere during hurricanes. but also flying into peoples windows and shit in chunks, breaking them. then of course your roof leaks... and then the insurance company's got tired of paying up for roof repairs. so they hopped on the bandwagon to push for hurricane rated tiles in the state code.
>>
>>981293
>most stick framed stuff [common in the US] wont hold
But thats just wrong.

Cement tiles can also be used, they're lighter and last just as long, but aren't as pretty.
>>
The problem isn't in the spacing really but more about the thickness of the plywood. The grain on the sheets are laid perpendicular to the rafters so there shouldn't be much deflection. Assuming these sheets are the standard 3/4" thickness. 24" spacing is still acceptable practice.
>>
>>980965

Just slide some more joists at 12" or tie some in. Doesn't look like it will have much of a load anyway.
>>
>>981325
>plywood
>grain
>>
Why do Americans use such retarded methods of construction? Is this the 30s or something?
>>
>>981299
In hurricane country your entire shed has to be hurricane rated to keep the goddamn thing from being thrown through the neighbor's house.

Construction is different when you live someplace that God attempts to wipe off the map every other year.
>>
>>981539
We have more uninhabited forest land than most countries have in total land so wood is cheap as fuck.

We have timber framed houses that are over 300 years old. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
>>981542

Unless you truly live in hurricane country and then the planning department really only cares about commercial buildings and you can build whatever kind of ridiculous fallout 4 type shack you want and call it a permanent dwelling.

>YEAH CAPTAIN DIS RIGHT DEY IS I AND I HOUSE OVA DEY
>>
>>981550

>We have timber framed houses that are over 300 years old

That is because some people used good lumber and some people still use good lumber.

But on average, your regular suburban house (most houses) will need to be torn down and rebuilt before 2040
>>
>>981571
>But on average, your regular suburban house (most houses) will need to be torn down and rebuilt before 2040

Yep
Who wants to live in a 100 year old house with no insulation, bad wiring, awful plumbing, and hazardous building materials?

In 2040, people are going to be appalled at 40 year old houses that arent completely automated with full solar power and whatever else new technology is going to be around.

Building a new house is preferable to retrofitting an old piece of shit.
When you have the room to do it, its great
>>
File: 20160412_161511.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160412_161511.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
OP I feel your pain. I sell new roof in the midwest. I get this shit all the time.

Ring ring
>Hello my chimney is leaking (homeowner)
>OK I'll be by ASAP (me)
>climbs roof
>pic related
>shits fucked yo. I propose we remove brick chimney to below roof line and drop in liner to bvent thru roof, and reshingle the section at minimum.
>>
>>980965
looks like a shed. it probably would've been OK if they used a thick enough sheathing or h clips.
> 5/8 t&g
>>
>>981576

My house was built in 1947. My neighbors houses had been built before.

We have no need for insulation because the temperature is a regular 88f +/- 3f for 365 days of the year. All the houses here are at least 6" concrete block walls with concrete column and beam construction . The electrical code is based off of the English code and there hasn't been many changes since the installation and even american electrical engineers that I have had in my house are surprised to how well put together and how "robust" te electrical installation is.

Plumbing is easy as everything runs outside on the surface and there is no freezing to be concerned about.

My house will last another couple hundred years unless the owners don't perform maintenance or there is some sort of material revolution (they figure out that Portland type cement causes cancer).

Of course if I lived in an area where they built houses shittily and to last only 25-30 years I would feel the same way you do.

We also don't change laws every 5 mins to give contractors some false work or to appeal to the newest flavor of house wife complaints or trends.
>>
>>981576
Pretty sure there were lots of commercials etc. about this very thing in the late 40's. We might be halfway to what they were saying, and it's over 60 years later?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.