[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lockpicking Set. What should i use and how?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
File: IMG_20160418_111842.jpg (61 KB, 1078x698) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160418_111842.jpg
61 KB, 1078x698
Lockpicking Set. What should i use and how?
>>
File: lock pick set.jpg (154 KB, 954x575) Image search: [Google]
lock pick set.jpg
154 KB, 954x575
>>
File: petroldrill.jpg (16 KB, 413x340) Image search: [Google]
petroldrill.jpg
16 KB, 413x340
For all practically picking sets are obsolete, better off drilling, pin snapping or punching out the lock.
>>
Lockpicking is not very difficult. There are Tons of Videos on YouTube
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>980372

>thisisbait.jpg

OP, you only need some spring steel to make a few tension wrenches. A hook and half diamond are all you really need.

Unless you're a locksmith and your boss buys your tools. Then you go all out. Pic related.
>>
a Key....
>>
>>980366
Gooogle bump keys
>>
>>980366
>>977580
please check the catalog before starting a new thread.
>>
>>980366
It's actually not that hard. I use to do it a lot in my spear time
>>
How does one get rid of a crazy bitch stalker ex girlriend?
>>
I made my own from a metal saw blade using a grinder, works well
>>
File: 1461181465221.jpg (525 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1461181465221.jpg
525 KB, 1024x768
>>981462
Me too anon.Crude but gets the job done.
Pick set is part of my EDC.
*Pic related
>>
I have used the metal strips found inside windshield wipers. They have worked pretty well for me. If you don't feel like buying or stealing windshield wipers just drive around town and check the garbage cans outside of autozones. Then use a metal file or preferably a dremel to file it to a good shape.
>>
File: 31TNr28c+wL.jpg (15 KB, 500x429) Image search: [Google]
31TNr28c+wL.jpg
15 KB, 500x429
Go with an (electric) lock pick gun, or if you're a fedora tipper you can go with a lock pick set.

It takes away the "charm" and "style", but it's much more efficient.
>>
>>981328

I prefer to do it in my sword time.
>>
>>982173
>I prefer to do it in my sword time.

Is that what you call it? I appreciate my "sword" time as well.
>>
>>980366
This has to be like the 4th lockpicking thread in like a month. Does anyone know how to look stuff up on youtube?
>>
>>981578
>not grinding the teeth down, making a nice handle and then covering in rubber
muh fingers ow
>>
I'm a locksmith, take a hack saw blade, and a bench grinder and shape it in to the shape of a pick and handle. And then if you have a torch you can take sping steel and heat up a and bend it and then dunk it in water.
>>
>>982187
It's cool, is all. People like to talk about their hobbies.
>>
>>982173
funny cunt
>>
>>982384

I'm a locksmith too so I feel you should know:

There isn't enough carbon in the steel typically used in hacksaw blades that will allow it to be hardened effectively. If you don't believe me, follow your hardening technique and then cut the lock pick with a hacksaw blade.

Also, you don't want hardened fucking picks. That's why HPC, Southord, Peterson use spring steels. Not only do they last longer than hardened steel when used as picks, they allow for better feedback.

Sorry you've been wasting your time. Do you work for a scammer?
>>
>>980366
There are plenty of lock pick shops that sell beginner sets to get you started. After you learn what you're doing, use cheap hacksaw blades to make your own picks.
>>
What is a good padlock? One that you see and think "Fuck, this one will be hard to pick open"
>>
Look along the sides of roads and pick up any street sweeper blades you find. Spring steel and pretty tough.
>>
>>982159
How does it work?
>>
>>984180
anything with more than one chamber axis (kaba, bilock, stuff like that), or anything with a sidebar (bilock again, abloy) or anything with a small keyway.. less room to move means less room to manipulate..
>>
>>985149
the bar jitters up and down bouncing the pins while you turn. It's kinda like an automatic rake pick or bump key, but straight up and down instead of back and forth
>>
bosnianbill on youtube has a bunch of good vids too on tools and building your own shit, how security pins work, and reviews on products. A lot of his stuff is him opening stuff people sent in so you might have to go through and skim some of his stuff.
>>
File: paper-clips1.jpg (15 KB, 267x270) Image search: [Google]
paper-clips1.jpg
15 KB, 267x270
Don't waste your muns on sets, just use pic-related, baka.
>>
File: IMG_20160430_142030.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160430_142030.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>982384
>>983106
What kind of a lockpick is this?
>>
>>986830
You wave it at a lock and yell 'Alohomora'
>>
>>980372
good luck drilling trough locks with tempered bearings
>>
File: creditcardlockpick.jpg (20 KB, 350x239) Image search: [Google]
creditcardlockpick.jpg
20 KB, 350x239
>>980366
As long as its shaped like a pick it doesnt really matter the quality, it'll get you in if you know how to use it.

The only thing more expensive lock pick sets give you is durability, i keep a $10 credit card set in my wallet in case i lose my house keys and they've lasted about 100 practice unlockings but have started to bend and will need to be replaced soon.

If youre just worried about getting locked out then get a credit card set, if you want to do it as a serious hobby get a good set, if you plan on breaking in somewhere get power tools.
>>
>>986830

It's for dimple locks.
>>
>>986759
They work in a pinch but overall they're too soft, they bend
>>
>>982159
Does a lower priced gun work well? Can I buy this and be good to go?
https://www.lockpickshop.com/LAT-17.html
>>
>>987121
I disagree on one point; quality matters. You do not want something soft or that bends. Bad picks will be unusable due to being made of shit metal.
Thickness also matters if you're picking a lock with intense warding.
>>
File: 107px-Security_pin_spool.jpg (2 KB, 107x120) Image search: [Google]
107px-Security_pin_spool.jpg
2 KB, 107x120
>>982159
Ah, but it gets defeated by a simple spool.
What a shame.
>>
>>987407
As long as you know what you're doing and not shoving the pick in like a horse in heat then its not going to bend for a while.

If you need a set for emergencies then a credit card set will do, if its for a serious hobby then get a better set.
>>
Anyone have experience buying cheap lockpick sets from China? I was thinking of picking up this:

http://www.gearbest.com/lock-picks-and-tools/pp_300396.html
>>
>>987475
Girlfriend bought this exact set. It's arriving today, I'll let you know how it is. But desu it looks fine.
>>
>>987471
You'd be surprised. Looks like you've never seen true shit.
>>
>>987408
>implying a majority of peaple wont chose shitty $5 locks
>>
>>987999
But you can just rake those in less than a minute.
What's the point in buying a pick gun for $5 locks?
>>
>>988110
I imagine if you're in the business of professional niggatry that saving 30 seconds entering would be useful
>>
>>988170
If you're in the business of professional niggatry, you're not going to be picking locks.
>>
>>988481
PRO NIGGATRS MIGHT

ITS THE AMATEUR NIGGARTS WHO JUST SMASH N GRAB GUN N RUN LOOT N SHOOT
>>
have you tried lock bumping?
>>
>>987305
Thanks anon.
>>
>>982159
>or if you're a fedora tipper you can go with a lock pick set.

You're a fedora tipper for going with the vape of lockpicks you fucking moron.
>>
>>987999
>>988170
But then why bother with an electric tool? You can rake a shitty box-store lock in quite literally 2 seconds.

30 seconds? You must be joking.
>>
mah bump keys.
>>
>>990396
You ever thought about modifying them with rubber rings or a spring?
>>
A good set of half diamond and a couple hooks like southford. The most important thing I found is the picks ability to transfer feel of the pin movement to your hand and a good quality tension wrench.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.