[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most dangerous power tool? My vote is pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55
What is the most dangerous power tool? My vote is pic related with angle grinder coming in a close second. Anything with RPMs that high and sharp blades makes for a dangerous combo.
>>
>>978076
Which ever one you use incorrectly. Also, acetylene welder...
>>
I have been on third world worksites for the last 7 years and the only two accidents (other than minor scratches and stepping on nails) have been:

>guy cutting tiles with a tile cutter in which the blade had no diamond material left
>blade shatters
>steel everywhere
>only a mild cut on operators arm

and

>backhoe mechanic checking out issue with backhoe
>tells operator to turn steering right
>operator say no and to move your fucking head
>mechanic starts swearing about how he knows what he is doin
>operator moves steering one inch in directed direction
>squeezes mechanics head between the chassis and tire

I have never seen a power saw blade fail, but I have seen many grinding blades disintegrate, a couple even in my own hands
>>
>>978076
Radial arm saws used improperly can be incredibly dangerous. Well, any power tools used improperly are dangerous... but those especially.

Chainsaws, I know more than a few people with scars from broken chains or knees/legs sliced. One lost a few toes.
>>
>>978092

Chainsaws aren't all that dangerous desu
>>
File: 016090c.jpg (113 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
016090c.jpg
113 KB, 500x500
Table saw, with very little doubt.

Any tool that requires you push the work towards the cutter is inherently dangerous. Even so, table saw is exceptional still in that its blade might as well be a lightsaber to human meat. It will lop off your meat faster than your brain can fire the impulse to react.

Pic related. It's the table saw/nuclear warhead of the kitchen, because you move the food to the blade, not the other way around.
>>
Chainsaw, with bandsaw coming in second.

It's not that chainsaws are so intrinsically dangerous if you know how to use them, it's just that most people don't know how to use them.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 464x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 464x378
>>978076
>>
>>978076
soldering iron. cheap ones. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY ARE ON.
>>
File: tumblr_mpx2olEEu01reh0fqo1_400.jpg (59 KB, 400x348) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpx2olEEu01reh0fqo1_400.jpg
59 KB, 400x348
>>978076
>>
>>978093
they are if you're a dumb fuck and don't maintain/replace chains. chains breaking are usually caused by not refilling the chain oil or not using the right oil
>>
>>978098
>>978104
I think a few of the people I know with chainsaw related scars were from the logging protests years ago here, protesters would spike trees with railroad spikes in logging areas and they would hit them occasionally with the saw, chain would break and whip over their legs, arms, or face...
>>
>>978076
As a paramedic I can tell you that most serious power tool injuries are from Chainsaws. Kickbacks are real common and unless you've been shown how to use a chainsaw properly a kickback is very likely to send the chain blade straight into the user. Table saws and nail guns cause lots of injuries as well usually to the hands though. You do get the odd fucker with a nail in the head or bruised/broken ribs from losing grip on the project when using a table saw.
>>
>>978128
Gotta love people too retarded to use a blade guard on a table saw.
>>
File: ToughCut-app.jpg (90 KB, 1180x710) Image search: [Google]
ToughCut-app.jpg
90 KB, 1180x710
This fucking thing scares the shit out of me every time I use it.
>>
>>978131
Just use the wheel actually made for grinding and not cutting like a retard
>>
>>978130
A lot of times its people who are doing a lot of sawing such as at work and they figure they have enough experience to "cut corners" so to speak. They usually do have the experience to avoid hurting themself... Until they slip or have an accident.
>>
>>978135
Yeah, I'm gonna just ignore the legit applications it unfortunately has and lose tons of time at work for one stupid thing that should take 30 seconds to get done.

Please.
>>
>>978128
Actually on second thought there are actually more lawnmower injuries than anything else but I don't often think about a lawnmower as a power tool. It's kinda a technicality because the number of injuries is due to the greater number of users and lack of respect for the tool rather than any technical difficulties. Also injuries are usually pretty minor. Finger and toe amputations.
>>
>>978137
People get lazy when you ask them to do the same thing over and over. I ultimately agree though they did it to themself and I don't have a ton of sympathy. My point was just that I rarely treat injuries from first time power tool users and rookies. They still have respect for their tools I guess. Chainsaws are an exception. For some reason everyone thinks they can use a chainsaw.
>>
>>978135

That kinda looks like a wire wheel.
>>
Woodworking router imo
>>
>>978141

Well the main problem with the ride on lawn mower is the cup holder that is the right size for a BUD LIGHT
>>
File: 1459030513187.jpg (28 KB, 540x378) Image search: [Google]
1459030513187.jpg
28 KB, 540x378
>>978099
>have old table saw
>its missing the blade cover
>every time I have to use it I imagine myself falling on the blade
I really need to replace that cover
>>
>>978076
Not even close

Router or Table Saw
>>
>>978155
Blade covers dont do shit
The riving knife is the only important safety feature on a table saw.
>>
Guaranteed to do immediate and severe damage:
>table saw

Most likely to fucking hurt you:
>angle grinder

Angle grinders are so easy to misuse and using a 0.040" thick zip cut disc is dangerous as fuck. Combine that with the face that 50% of grinders don't have guards and 40% don't have the RIGHT guard and you're in for a bad time.

Table saws are safer until you actually get caught up in one. Maybe a [metal] lathe is similarly dangerous.
>>
>>978097
>>978099
>>978173
>>978186
Another vote for the table saw. The only power tool I can think of that can still fuck you up while you're using it properly, in the safest manner possible, with all your PPE on.

Sure, a chainsaw or a grinder will fuck your shit fast and hard if you aren't working safe, but if you know how to use them and wear your gear, you're fine. Table saw with all the guards and safety kit can still kill you in normal operation. All you can do is reduce the frequency of potential accidents and be aware of them.

I don't use them. I have a radial arm saw and a bandsaw instead.
>>
>>978130
I can only imagine that you're aren't very proficient when it comes to table saws. Not every task can be carried out with the use of a blade guard. Even a riving knife is sometimes in the way. A guard is great for rip cuts and that's about it. You can't use a sled with a blade guard on which is safer than using a mitre fence.
>>
File: danger1.jpg (116 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
danger1.jpg
116 KB, 500x375
>>978076
Somewhere between lathes, table and band saws with the hand held angle grinder as 'best ways of fucking your shit up'
Honourable mention for PTO's (power take offs) on tractors can do some insane injuries/death.
>>
I had an angle grinder cutoff disk explode on me monday. I had a guard and I was wearing gloves. Still cut me up pretty bad
>>
>>978239
Jesus christ, that warning sign is horrifying, I thought it couldn't get worse than the "hand tuck in gears" warning label.

I'm surprised lathes haven't come up more often in this thread. I guess they aren't as easy to fuck up as a table saw but man when it goes wrong it goes wrong in a horrible painful way.
>>
>>978254
I don't think lathes are anywhere near as dangerous as table saws. Though when I use the skew chisel (hard ass tool to learn) I sometimes get catches and that's always unnerving.

Probably the closest thing to a real injury I've almost been victim to is leaving the key in the chuck. I've done it once and din't realize until I heard a terrible bang. The key got loose while the lathe was spinning at 3k rpm and embedded itself into the drywall.
>>
>>978263
Yeah they aren't inherently dangerous I guess, just unnerving, when using it properly it feels like you're doing something dangerous (like sticking a pole into the spokes of a spinning wheel) The only real danger coming from them is when people do something wrong or stupid (leaving the key in, wearing long sleeves, having long hair, necklaces)
>>
File: danger4.png (75 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
danger4.png
75 KB, 615x409
>>978254
Metalwork lathes are probably the 'safer' out of the two as a lot of it is hands-off working the milling guides, but they'll still shit out chunks of hot metal though sometimes and suck the odd careless arm into spinny bits.
Wood lathes can be downright fucking scary as people ram fuckhuge chisels into them, wood delaminates and spits out splinters that are enough to send Dracula running for cover... or the chisel goes 'boink' and gets thrown off in a random direction.
>High speed flying chisels- not fucking good!

PTO's are just all bad. I've heard firsthand of someone's aunty who had long hair that got tangled up in the PTO and it broke her neck in a split second, then basically de-gloved her entire face and scalp
>>
The only major power tool injuries that have happened to people i know personally have happened on a table saw (lost finger, cut finger, cut hand nearly detaching a few fingers).
>>
>>978128
Thanks for your service medic
>>
>>978239
This x20. I've seen a 1" steel PTO rod get twisted in half instantly. It would catch you and mangle you if you were unlucky enough for it to not just tear the offending limb off immediately.
>>
>>978076
One time I mounted a circ saw blade on my 7" grinder. I did have the guard on but was still a little scary looking.
>>
'lathe' + angle grinder

shielded by universal healthcare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04
>>
>>978076
Is a metal lathe a power tool?
It's the only tool I'm pants shittingly respectful of. Injuries, while uncommon always seem to end up in gore sprays or the occasional wrench gets slung.
I'm safe on anything, and I haven't disabled any safeties on anything.
But accidents/freak occurrences happen so while losing a finger, hand, or eye is pretty scary, getting lathed and dying instantly is always in the back of my mind.
>>
>>978128

Reminds me of when my dad shot himself with a 92mm nail to his leg. To femur through the knee to tibia. Fool was holding his finger on the trigger while yanking the hose that was stuck at the trusses. One of those ancient guns that dont have much safety for something like that. Happened like four years ago and he still doesnt like to use it.
>>
>>978345
seconded for metal lathe.
>>
>>978239
>>978269
I know a guy who lost both of his arms to a PTO. Oddly enough he owns a tree trimming service now. I've watched the man use a chainsaw with two hook hands.

If you look at statistics the most dangerous tools (by likelihood of injury, not severity) are: table saw, nail guns, chainsaw, and circular saws.
>>
>>978365
Shit I took all the safeties off mine. All the actions are engaged in place with a shim and a block of wood.
>>
>>978239
Not only will it rip your arm off, it will beat you to death with it as well
>>
>>978385

How does he run tree trimming with no arms?

Guy can't even sign a check, swipe a card, drive himself to work or fucking anything.

Also this thread reminds me of an image a saw of a guy with both arms crushed in a massive well pump looking machine and he was held in place by what I assume was his skin.

Imagine sitting there thinking "when they free me I won't even have arms anymore".
>>
>>978153

>drinking plebe BUD LIGHT while mowing
>not G-d's own nectar Mad Dog 20/20
>>
>>978076

fucking carpet knives
>>
>>978607
>retard-tier safe handling
>not even a power tool
Step it up senpai
>>
>>978609

that's how they get you

one day you will know
>>
>>978605

Bitch I said that was the problem and should have probably explained to you the type of person that gets fucked up by their own mower.

I don't even drink either of those american piss water "BURRR"
>>
The chainsaw has my vote.

It's common, viewed as cool, easy enough to get kickback, when it gets into something it can pull itself deeper/farther along, it makes a very nasty tearing kind of wound....

One time my mom's friends, a husband and wife, came over to help with some yard things. The husband went to trim our tree because my mom was worried about a branch fucking up the roof or something. The wife held the branch. They were on a ladder, because of course they were. The chainsaw went into her arm.

Blood has a different smell when there's a lot of it. When you open up some arteries you get a weirdly inorganic smell.

So yeah, nerve damage, surgery, big scars, physical therapy, and some ruined towels (to stop the blood). Chainsaws: don't fuck around with 'em.
>>
>>978610
Post scar
>>
>>978627
>The wife held the branch. They were on a ladder,
Hold up. They were on the same ladder?
Would you make a mspaint rekt please?
>>
>>978141
>hmm... The moters running bit I can't see the blade... Better feel around under there
>>
>>978633
I think it was the same ladder. This was like 14 years ago so I don't remember anything besides what I said except how that fucker split open our kiddie pool with a weed whacker like 20 minutes before that.
Some people can handle power tools and some should just stick to hitting their thumb with a hammer.
>>
>>978130
Blade guards are for nerds bro. The most annoying pieces of shit in the world. Writhing knives can even be annoying and i typically never bother putting it on. Proper ts use and staying focused on your work is the key to ts safety. That and safety glasses and propper dust collection.
>>
Hard to say. Most accidents i have seen are caused by that guy that thinks he can do shit jsut cus he is a dude and takes zero precaution cus he doesnt know better or a vet getting complacent or distracted. The most common heart stopper is the angle grinder esp cus most laborers remove the guard bc it makes the tool easier to handle... sadly you take those cheap masonry wheels against stone and shit explodes in glorious fashion. Chainsaw for sure. Only tablesaw accident i ever had was when i bought a ryobi ts in my youth and with cheap equipment and inexperience i had the blade on a 45 and the shitty thin metal of the throat guard must have bent. All i remember is flipping the switch and seeing a flash of red fly over my left shoulder missing me by inches. Luckily the blade stayed in tact and i just had a bruise on my shoulder. Fuckin cheap tools man
>>
>>978175

Apprentice cabinetmaker here, would you even bother with a portable table saw? The 'table' portion makes me nervous on those. I love the radial but you're not doing a long rip on one
>>
Speaking of lathes fucking your shit up, was going to post this gif >>978606 you can see that the lathe doesn't even skip a beat as it tears his clothes off, it keeps on chugging on
Don't think that kid will ever wear long sleeves on a lathe again, if he ever works on a lathe again out of fear. Lucky to leave relatively unharmed (in the longer video they carry him away, likely a few broken bones)
>>
>>978385
>I know a guy who lost both of his arms to a PTO.
Got to give it to him, that's one damn tough man that didn't just lie down and die.
Think most of the PTO stuff is usually because of silly bloody farmers who basically never read instructions, safety 3rd and generally never maintain anything much unless they absolutely have to.
I come from a long line of farmers and now as an engineer, they all shit me to tears!

>>978627
>When you open up some arteries you get a weirdly inorganic smell.
According to my medic friends, its because of the iron in the blood giving it that weird smell. Funnily enough if you smell enough of it, you don't really notice it as much
>>
Lathe is the scariest machine I've used. Just the idea of not wearing protection as protection. "You don't want to wear long sleeves, ties or jewelry because then it catch on it and will wrap you in. Your skin tears more easily than cotton so you'll only lose a bit of skin and not your arm/life." First thing taught to me.

The worst mistake I ever made was on the lathe. Left the chuck key in and turned it on. It left a nice reminder on my chest. Learned 2 things, double check everything and don't get blackout drunk the night before working in a machine shop. For the curious, I left it in and turned the chuck away from me slightly to do something. The key blended in with the other machines behind mine and I didn't notice compounded with my massive hangover. Turned it on and it made it a quarter turn before flying at me.
>>
Honestly I give every damn power tool my full attention when I use it. I like my fingers and limbs where they are.

I'm more afraid of my sharp chisels than a table saw. You don't need to turn on a chisel to drop it and lose a toe.

I pretty much refuse to use lathes unless it's a cnc lathe where i can be in a different room. Or away from the thing that with deathroll my arms off.

Angle grinders are sketchy as fuck, you always get the retards that set the tool down with the disk on the work bench nothing will make someone shit their pants faster than that, and every one in the shop will push to get that retard fired.
>>
>>978732
>Left the chuck key in and turned it on.

I am not allowed to be on a lathe that doesn't have an interlock for the chuck key. I tried to turn my lathe on twice today alone with the chuck key in it. Nothing happened, of course, because the shield was up and it wouldn't turn on, but both times I was like "damn I'm glad I didn't take this thing off when I bought it".
>>
Angle grinder is most likely to fuck you up at least in my experience. Because you're when you be grinding for a long time, repetitive motion makes you complacent, basically

Had a few cut off disks break and go flying everywhere.
Got a loose wirebrush bristle stuck in my thigh.
Grinder bounced of of something and took a chunk off my hand.
Plenty of little mishaps like that.
>>
>>978772
>Got a loose wirebrush bristle stuck in my thigh.

this was a little surprising to me the first time i used wire cups/brushes - i always figured they just kind of grind down to nubs. not become loose and eventually fly out like little javelins
>>
>>978742
The machines I worked with were ancient. Still worked perfectly, but the only safety some of them had were housing for the belts and the tray gathering fallen material.
>>
>>978085
>Which ever one you use incorrectly.
Yepp.

Last summer some mexican killed himself with a chop saw because he was cutting something overhead with it. Saw kicked back, wheel hit him in the neck and then he fell backwards over a rail about 20 feet to a concrete slab. He was dead before he hit the ground though, pretty much. Picture related to the type of saw he was using.

I'll agree with everyone who said table saw. Even if you stay out of line with the blade you can have shit kicked back at you. Chainsaws are safe if you stay out of line with the blade and are mindful of the tip. Standing to the side of the saw when cutting a log means even if the saw kicks back it is far less likely to hit you.
>>
>tablesaw kickback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4
>>
>>978810
What happened? Did the blade lock up from whatever he was cutting above pinched into it?
>>
>>978822

The cringe...
>>
>>978828
The most cringeworthy part of the whole video?
Finding out he is a dirty fudgepacker fan
>>
File: image.png (150 KB, 400x213) Image search: [Google]
image.png
150 KB, 400x213
These motherfuckers have killed more good test guys than crank meggers. Not exactly a conventional power tool, but it's the most dangerous piece of equipment in my truck.
>>
>>978834
Isn' that a welder or something? What the fuck is it.
>>
>>978834
are those things not current limited?
>>
>>978837
It's a test set for large power transformers.
>>978840
It trips off at ~2A but when you have a 500MVA transformer with a saturated core the stabs have a potential of 1900A[isnt]
>>
>>978076
For me it's the table saw. I'm not pic related but I've had plenty bruises just like that. Pretty much the same spot from wood getting chucked back at me. I should probably put the riving knife back on right after making cuts with a sled.
>>
File: hook[1].jpg (17 KB, 425x341) Image search: [Google]
hook[1].jpg
17 KB, 425x341
>>978482
He has hook arms.

He runs the business, he doesn't do the cutting himself. He has a wood boiler at his house since he basically gets unlimited wood for free. I've watched him use a chainsaw to cut logs into smaller pieces to throw in the boiler.

He can sign a check and swipe a card and drive a car.

Technically the business is all under his wife's name so he can collect disability. She's also a postmaster so they do pretty damn well for themselves. Accident happened to him when he was a teenager, I believe, before my time.

>>978718
Yeah, pretty likely the case. He was a teenager or early 20s when this went down. He's my dad's age, so I don't really know the full story of what went down.
>>
This thread is making me a little more content with being too poor to afford most power tools. All I have is a hand drill. Cutting everything with a hacksaw sucks ass, but it's pretty much impossible to harm myself any further than a bad cut.
>>
>>978736
>I pretty much refuse to use lathes unless it's a cnc lathe where i can be in a different room. Or away from the thing that with deathroll my arms off.

Lathes really aren't that dangerous.
Wear shop appropriate clothes, pay attention, and think before you put your dickbeaters somewhere.

Wood lathes are different, but most wood-turners are fags anyways.

Also almost all CNC setups require you to stand nearby and pay close attention. CNC is really only used for speed, accuracy, and consistency. CNC is not 3D printing.
>>
>>978141
>>978153
>>978636
I actually found a study figuring out what the biggest cause of major accidents was with lawnmowers. Idiot lawncare guys doing a team lift with a lawnmower to trim hedges faster. One guy grabs the front, one guy on the back, just run it across the top and you get a nice level hedge top quick. unless your grip slips...
>>
>>978076
Table saw, use one everyday and I still get nervous as shit. I've seen multiple people cut off parts of their hand. Even if you are careful and seasoned you can still end up getting fucked by a table saw.
>>
>>978076
I had an angle gringer bounce off some wood on to my trousers and rip straight up my leg once. Not a scratch on me but ripped my trousers half off and gave me the shock of my life.
>>
File: 051[1].jpg (56 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
051[1].jpg
56 KB, 600x325
>>979006
>Idiot lawncare guys doing a team lift with a lawnmower to trim hedges faster.

They should be using a crane.
>>
File: lawnmower-as-hedgetrimmer[1].jpg (147 KB, 600x447) Image search: [Google]
lawnmower-as-hedgetrimmer[1].jpg
147 KB, 600x447
>>979006
>Idiot lawncare guys

Wow, there's a bunch of this shit in GIS.
>>
>>978151
if your wirewheel throws off sparks you might want to get that checked out.
>>
File: rightangledrill.jpg (32 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
rightangledrill.jpg
32 KB, 1000x1000
>on a ladder
>4" holesaw
>no clutch
>>
>>979072
More fool you. This is one tool I'd never use with a hole saw.
>>
File: sleeves.jpg (7 KB, 177x285) Image search: [Google]
sleeves.jpg
7 KB, 177x285
we had a guy who would put his sleeves over his hands when it was cold and use the table saw
>>
>>979077
Did he also put his pony tail against the lathe to curl it.
>>
>>978107
What is proper ppe. Helmet with face shield hear protection chainsaw boots pants and jacket. Not that hard.
>>
>>979077
He is a faggot. Real men grin and bare the cold. That said, the chance of having a sleeve caught by a table saw blade is slim. It would slice through the material no issue, so it couldn't get caught. The only situation possible then is to get it wrapped around the arbor. No chance.

https://youtu.be/UeQzIzj3j_Q
>>
>>979084
Chainsaw boots and trousers I find to be amazing. I've seen them 'deployed' once and the way they work is brilliant. The cost of them probably is a hard sell when people seldom use chain saws for for daily use I wouldn't think twice about buying them.
>>
>>978131
I use to use a small grinder everyday. We even took the cover guard off to angle better.

Only had one accident, someone came behind me like a stupid fuck and tried to scare me. Lucky I only have a scar one my index finger.

Other than someone intentionally trying to fuck you up, I see it hard to injure yourself with this tool.
>>
>>979077
>>979079
loled

Does he do his nails on the belt sander?
>>
>>979105
I did that once.
>>
I would definitely say table saws but push sticks and not being fully retarded really decrease any chances of injury
Chainsaws if you don't know what you're doing but that just goes for anything
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
my vote goes to these fuckers
>>
>>978886
Hah how often do his hook arms end up in the stove by accident
>>
>>979087
I figure my legs and arms are work more than what my ppe cost lol.
>>
>>979146
This dreadnought is basically a walking death machine with two metal lathes for arms. Sums up my fear for those things.
>>
>>979146
All these votes for metal lathes... Guess working with one everyday makes you feel a little safer around them. I do agree they are dangerous and a fuck up can quickly turn into a very bad fuck up. So I do have a special respect for them. But my reasoning on it is on s lathe all your rotating and pinch points are always in the same spot and simistationary and rigid. Sure the work piece may fly out occasionally but typically that shit stays put. I have never had a Chuck key that was a tight enough fit to stay in the Chuck for even a whole Rev.
Now tools that you feed material into or a tool you feed into the material make Me nervous. My arms and had will never be as ridgid as my lathe and when stuff starts moving unexpectedly very quickly and forcefully, stuff goes bad.

Other than getting burned from chips, the lathe is one of the safest tools I work with. I have hurt myself worse with a die grinder
>>
>>979276
>Power fists are just 4 jaw chucks being misused, this was supposed to be a dreadnaught for a former techmarine.
>ATLAS stamped on them
Damn the mechanicum's loss of knowledge.
>>
All the people in the thread afraid of table saws, what's stopping you from installing this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE
>>
>>979354
I think a lot of the other guys (not the one you linked obviously) were talking more about wood lathes, metal lathes aren't so bad because you hardly ever come in direct contact with the piece, but on a wood lathe you get your hands all up in there, manually holding the tools for carving and such, first time your chisel snags on a piece and almost gets ripped out of your hands can scare the shit out of you
>>
>>979276
>lathes for hands
>flamers used for curing wood
>legs are hydraulic presses

It was actually just a walking work shop this whole time
>>
>>979366
>what's stopping you from installing this?

You cant install it, its a standalone table saw.
They are in the 1500$ price range, but have the accuracy of a 600$ table saw.

The cartridges are almost 100$ a piece, and they ruin your several hundred dollar blades. Not to mention they have a tendency to activate on false alarms.

In theory its great, in reality they are too finicky.
>>
>>979376
>Several hundred dollar blades.

Lol okay buddy.
>>
>>979380
>buys a real table saw
>continues to use low quality blades

I dont think so tim.
>>
>>979380
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/worlds-best-37342-precision-trim-saw-blades/
>>
>>979365
>>979370
Imperium, bringing arts and crafts to you, by force. Only difference is the material these workshops use is heretical xenoflesh.
>>
>>979386
Don't blame him he probably thinks the dewalt blade that came with his saw is better than a ryobi saw blade

Either way they both suck the crustiest of ball compared to a really decent saw blade

And yea if i were going to spend around $1500 on a saw I get a grizzly cabinet saw, or try to find a used belt driven saw that isn't rusted to shit and back
>>
>>979479
>Don't blame him he probably thinks the dewalt blade that came with his saw is better than a ryobi saw blade

As a machinist...there's no good reason why a circular saw blade should cost anywhere near "several hundred dollars".

The only things that matter are the number of teeth and the geometry of the cutting edges on the teeth. And, of those, the only one that impacts the cost of production even slightly is the number of teeth, since that's just more carbide to braze on. Even then, it's not significant. The amortized costs of design, tooling setup, marketing, and distribution dwarf that contribution. Even then, $200+ is not justified in a market as large as woodworking.

The only reason someone would be paying that much for a saw blade is the same reason "cable risers" for audio amps exist; the background assumption that cost ~= quality.

>http://www.carbideprocessors.com/worlds-best-37342-precision-trim-saw-blades/

No, seriously "silver soldering makes it super expensive u guys".

Christ.
>>
>>978076

I would have to vote table saw, had a blade shatter once and kill the 2x4 two inches left of my face, now I am scared shitless of the things. Bought it at an auction and didn't notice the guy changed out the pulleys, had it spinning to fast I guess. Took the pulleys of my old one and I haven't had a problem since, but one of these days I will actually take the time to look up how it's supposed to be set.

Next dangerous I would say chainsaw, not really that bad, but idiots don't know how use them, and they end up dead.

>be me
>at work at county park
>tornado came through
>have taken required "chainsaw safey course" (which was bull shit and covered very little safety, just shilling for stihl)
>in charge (responsible for any accidents so boss doesn't have to be)
>park has a bunch of shitty light saws
>fuck this, using my 044
>doing all the real cutting have the crew cutting small branches
>nature calls
>taking a piss
>hear my saw
>oh fuck no
>rush back to work area
>hear crash on the way
>saw stops
>get there
>chainsaw is full of white stands
>stuck half way in tree
>that is sitting on top of the gator
>tear new guy a new asshole
>get chewed out by boss cause I was responsible

Still don't know how he cut his chaps with the saw in the tree, but basically the three was hanging from another tree and fell out, landed on the gator and scared him half to death. Thank god he had chaps on, but that idiot wasn't allowed even look at a saw for the rest of the summer. At least the boss got my saw fixed for me.
>>
>>979488
I think it's more of a what the market will bear thing. And that one is silly. I picked it for price, being one of the only ones over $200.

But $100 or $150 for a decent high TPI blade? Totally.
>>
>>979492
>I think it's more of a what the market will bear thing.

Aside from literal scams and fraud, that's kind of a default for everything. It's just that I hate it when the ignorant (or outright stupid), easily-misled fools who are the target and very exploitable market of this kind of bullshit try to pass it on as "superior" or "the only non-garbage thing" even though they've gotten plenty of clues that it's actually just overpriced bullshit.

$100 is pushing it, as far as I'm concerned, but not entirely unreasonable.
>>
>>979479
Actually I like to rip more than 24" at a time but I still appreciate you trying to reach there.
>>
>>979493
I'm not trying to justify spending $200 on a saw blade but Dewalt blades suck all kinds of unholy asshole, a decent quality saw blade is about $100 and they last a very long time for even a hobbies that does a few hours of woodworking a week

Sharpening it every few months maybe once a year that $100 will last you at least 10 years

Now if you are a machinist you would know not all metals are equal and most cheap saw blades aren't as stable underlay or when cutting

Plus Dado stacks can get pricy

>>979508
Umm what? Make an out feed table and make a crosscut sled
Or are you talking about the cut width capacity, they make extension rails for the fence but a crosscut sled can be bigger than the table top

They make saws with bigger table tops for maybe $100-200 more

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-5-HP-240V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RLWX?utm_campaign=zPage the reason I'd get it is its a decent saw and it can mount a router so it saves space in the long run

Was the saw I was talking about
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-240V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RLX?utm_campaign=zPage a saw with a bigger table sure and 2 less horse power

After that I'd look into a 3 phase saw and those are a completely different beast
>>
>>979493

Well the market of "my client is happy with the finish of the $50 dado blade' is the actual working market. Those yuppies with the $400 blades are the only rhing keeping those bitches afloat
>>
>>978896
you can cut your jugular
>>
>>978685
Lel enjoying making a cool corpse, retard
>>
Well as a hack fabricator and later as a demolition worker I had a hi speed electric car buffer. It was one without an angle to it, just motor with a straight shaft to the arbor. It had no pistol grip to hold it by. It was kind of like holding on to a big 40 lb. wine glass spinning at like 80,000 rpm.
Anyway someone had converted it to a chop saw , using 14" chop saw blades, it had an old ford style battery clamp as a spacer.
And it was so old it had a big rocker switch that nessesitated it being manually turned off. In other words had no deadman type switch to automatically shut off if you lost it.
Anyway of course it would bind and rip right out of your hands. Then you would have to keep jumping over the cord as it wheeled around on the floor or it would rap around your leg and and coil up until the cutter would essentially reel itself to you.
Good for a few laughs.
>>
File: the knowing.jpg (110 KB, 379x596) Image search: [Google]
the knowing.jpg
110 KB, 379x596
>>979770
>it would rap around your leg and and coil up until the cutter would essentially reel itself to you.

Fuck
That
>>
File: 6d51ee-21824652_1_640.jpg (31 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
6d51ee-21824652_1_640.jpg
31 KB, 450x450
>>979380
I just dabble. so I only have one saw blade. and it's on a ~7 inch saw. I spent more on the blade than the saw. the diablo discs are the real deal. those little question mark sqiggles make it not vibrate. I get fast clean cuts every time. cheap blades grab, kick back, tear shit up. it was horrible. my 40t blade is faster than the demo blade that came with it. that said, I only spend 60$ on the blade. maybe it gets more expensive with 12" blades or something. does life get better than diablo? what are good saw blades you have used? what are their strengths why pay more?
>>
>>978685
>Writhing knives can even be annoying and i typically never bother putting it on

You really, really, need to watch >>978822
>>
>>979369
I think the issue with metal lathes is they tend to have WAY more torque than a wood lath, and when something does go wrong it can go wrong in such a spectacular fashion that even by 4chan standards the results can be a bit gory.
>>
>>979788
>cross cutting solid on a table saw.

Well no shit it kickbacked
>>
>>979770
i would have thought putting a 14 inch saw blade would have burned up the motor
>>
>>979791
Yep it is literally machine that will tear you arm off and beat you with it

If you don't respect the tool you are using you'll eventually run out of luck metal working lathes are completely unforgiving when shit goes bad it its like an f5 tornado going through a manure pile, a shit storm the likes you have never seen will ensue.
>>
>>978605
I had to stop drinking Mad Dog because of the unanswered questions.

It's that toxic purple color when you drink it. Half an hour later, when it comes back up, it's clear.

Where's the purple and what's it doing?
>>
>>980140
>Where's the purple and what's it doing?

I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
File: 104854.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
104854.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
This tool claims more lives than all others.
>>
>>978076
>What is the most dangerous power tool?

Chain Saw > Table Saw > Nail Gun > Snow Blower > Circular Saw > Power Drill > Air Compressor > Wood Chipper

I actually know people who were killed while using a chainsaw.
>>
>>980184
That's like #8 I think.
>>
>>980184
>power tool

Though a power ladder would be pretty fucking scary, I just imagine it being a vertical escalator (that would be pointless when scissor lifts and cherry pickers exist)
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
>>980222
>power ladder
>>980222
>would be pointless when scissor lifts and cherry pickers

Not as pointless as you might think
>>
>>980140
>>980145
It's cleaning you.
>>
>>980570
Fair call fair call, I had forgotten about those.
>>
File: swing_saw.jpg (139 KB, 830x562) Image search: [Google]
swing_saw.jpg
139 KB, 830x562
These rate a mention.
>>
>>980724
>Bring on the zombie apocalypse
>>
Tfw all this talk of table saws being dangerous and we make free hand cuts with them at work often. Also do a lot of free hand circular saw back cutting.
I'm amazed no ones has had any injuries yet in 30 years.
>>
File: Demon core.jpg (287 KB, 1240x955) Image search: [Google]
Demon core.jpg
287 KB, 1240x955
Probably this.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 600x594
>>980184
Dangerous and racist motherfuckers.
>white guy being safe
>black guy falling off
Every fucking ladder ever.
>>
>>980724
The new ones are fully enclosed and not /as/ dangerous. But still, that's a lot of material to be turning >10krpm
>>980733
What am I looking at?
>>
>>980798
The 'demon core' was a sample of plutonium that killed two scientists in two separate instances. It was bad luck after that and was called the 'demon core'

It was eventually used to make the bomb for the bikini atoll test.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core#Demon_core_in_use
>>
>>980819
All of those early neutron reflector tests were insane. They were knocking nearly-critical samples together like apes when they were not eyeballing and guessing at reactions to reflectors and processes. Sitting in a lab hammering on a sample of nitroglycerin to find out when it would explode seems as reasonable (with hindsight)
>>
>>980222
>>980570
I actually got to see what happens when someone gets their leg stuck in the ladder and the retard on the ground retracts it without checking with those on said ladder, against protocol.

It's pretty brutal.
>>
>>980724
>>980798

Like this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZtDZGiIpG0
>>
My dentist was killed last week by an angle grinder.

Dont know all the details.

Wife found him in the garage. Dead. With a piece of the blade through his neck into his spine.
>>
>>981069

He wanted out so badly
>>
>>978219
>>978097
Thankfully there is human ingenuity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk

http://www.sawstop.ca/#overview
>>
>>981097
>sawstop meme
>>
>>978137
>30 seconds
That's enough time to warrant having a second grinder specifically set up for grinding.
>>
>>979105
At one of my previous jobs, the secretary would come in during our lunch break and buff her nails with the bench grinder.

Thought about putting a big ol' gob of coarse buffing compound on it to fuck with her, but she had nice titties.
>>
File: a45.png (115 KB, 488x228) Image search: [Google]
a45.png
115 KB, 488x228
>>980819
>>
>>981231

It would make a pretty good dethklok song.
>>
>>978107
I've got to say chainsaw as well. Too many knuckleheads who buy one and go to fell a tree, then do something stupid because they don't wear PPE, don't know how to properly cut, don't maintain it, or are just careless.
>>
Lance a lot blade on an angle grinder.

Table saw would have to be a kind of far away second
>>
>>981097
>wood a little wet
>200 bucks down the drain
>>
>>981263
Supposedly it has a test setting, and a override, but I agree. It's a memesaw, and using proper safety equipment and technique virtually eliminates any human error factor.
>>
>>978101
your just an idiot for not assuming they are on
>>
>>981069
he was probably dancing around with it like a microphone to walking on sunshine or some stupid shit
>>
>>978823
Not sure exactly what happened as I wasn't on site when it happened, I just know he was cutting something overhead with a cut off saw which is designed to be used on the ground in front of you.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>have an old grinder
>on/off switch is broken and you dont know if its on or off
>plug it in
>it was on
>eats a huge gouge into the workbench before I pull the plug

later

>using grinder to cut some nail ends off a shelving unit I made
>sparks set the carpet and my trousers on fire
>>
>>981452
>>using grinder to cut some nail ends off a shelving unit I made
>>sparks set the carpet and my trousers on fire

I don't think you should have access to power tools. Or any tools.
>>
>>981452

I had burnt a hole through my pants with grinding sparks. How do you light them on fire?
>>
>>978076
No idea if they're the most dangerous, but lathes scare the shit out of me.
>>
File: LetterpressCrush.jpg (20 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
LetterpressCrush.jpg
20 KB, 450x338
>>978076

Not power tool but the hammer must start the most injuries than any other handtool. People just don't know how to swing them and I still fuck my shit every 6 months. Nothing severe but every guy I know has a story about losing a nail. Then there's the stories about nails bouncing back into the eye...

Since we're talking about lathes, y'all should see a letterpress machine in action. We have about 5 of these in our shared industrial building, Heidelbergs and Vandercooks seem pretty safe but I've seen some crushed fingers in the Platen presses.
>>
>>981498
They should.

www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?3124-Machinist-gets-Sucked-through-lathe-Don-t-click-if-you-don-t-want-to-see
>>
File: s_geeps.png (17 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
s_geeps.png
17 KB, 261x195
>>981493
maybe his pants weren't wet
>>
>>981505
>letter presses.

I was running a Heidelberg windmill one time and I made mistake of rubbing a rag on the rollers to clean off ink while it was on. I immediately realized my stupidity threw the rag across the shop shut the press off and went and sat in the break room for 5 minutes.

I coulda been mangled in an instant. God damn it still gives me shivers.
>>
>>981510

I only piss my pants around girls tho.
>>
>>981493
>>981474

I knew using the grinder on metal inside was a dumb idea but I saw my dad do it before and it was ok. I was literally only grinding for half a second before the carpet turned black.
>>
>>981566

Well seeing as the carpet and your pants were made out of some kind of plastic then it wouldn't take much heat to melt them
>>
File: 1456770112207.jpg (63 KB, 640x457) Image search: [Google]
1456770112207.jpg
63 KB, 640x457
>>981493
I lit my shirt on fire grinding a lawn mower blade
>>
File: 2013-IMG_7832.jpg (89 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
2013-IMG_7832.jpg
89 KB, 550x413
>>978810
those have a clutch that kicks in when the blade binds, virtually no kickback at all with those at all (unless you're a limp wristed pussy)

pic related is only tool that scary
>>
>>981641
Not true, the momentum of the blade will still carry that thing up just like a chainsaw
>>
>>981641
Where did you get a picture of Gaddafi working at a saw mill?
>>
>>981641

That is a centrifugal clutch. After a certain rpm it has full bind and might as well be a straight shaft. A release clutch on a rotary hammer releases when you exceed a certain rotary force and is totally different.
>>
>>981664

Also it depends on the scenario.

If the blade stalls the clutch will drag the engine back down to idle rpm where the clutch releases, but the tool will still rotate around the bit/blade/chain/whatnot.

If the blade decides to kick out/back the clutch will still be fully engaged and there is no stopping it unless you let go of the throttle and even then it takes more than a couple seconds for it to come off the clutch. More than enough to kick off a roof and cut up someone and then run across the room and cut a notch in the floor where it sits
>>
>>981647
>(unless you're a limp wristed pussy)
>>981664
if you've ever actually used the tool you'd know that the clutch absorbs nearly all of the kickback, you do have to have a solid grip on it though which is virtually impossible overhead (rip dumb mexicunt). The opposite is true for rotary hammers. A somewhat lose grip is better. When a rotary hammer binds, it's twists hard and fast. I've heard of ppl breaking wrists.
>>
>>981682
You'll only break a wrist with a rotary hammer if you're using the support handle wrong.
>>
>>978365
>dad gets nail gun
>pulls the safety back and shoots it at me across the room
Lol
>>
>>981699
You apply pressure from the back handle, not the support handle. That's where wrist injuries can occur.
>>
>>981715
It's also a good idea (if possible) to hold it in a manner that the drill will rotate out of the support hand it it catches, instead of into it.
>>
>>981709
He bought me a 18v angle grinder for my bitrhday
>Have you used the grinder yet?
>Not yet, I need to get a face shield first
>"just squint"
>>
>>981715
Yeah, but the support handle is there to catch the tool when it spins out. You brace against your off hand so it can't spin around and break your dominant hand's wrist.
>>
>>981715
>>981682

Take it from a guy who tried to use a 4" SDS chisel bit to try to bore a large hole because he is retarded and lives in almost the Congo so you can't eve. Find a 1" SDS bit in the nearest 150 miles.

The support handle resists rotational force. Which is what activates the slip clutch.

Trust me. I had the bitch in my hand binding the bit and that clutch slippity dippity. I went into it after being frustrated of spended the last 10 mins pulling out the stuck bit and went in with a loose hand and the tool turned and the bit didn't. Thankfullyit was on a long extension and I was able to unwind it in reverse.

I have also used concrete chop saws and as my previous statements had mentioned when the bit stalls it slams the machine into the ground because it keeps trying to rotate. When the bit hops it literally flies out of the cut line and you go from squatting with the machine to staggering forward slightly as you reel it in.

>you have obviously never used these tools

The only chop saws we have here are Stihl gas saws. We use these bitches often because road works. Anyone who uses a gas trimmer or chainsaw will also understand the principles of a centrifugal clutch but I can tell you live in a HOA where they don't allow tools that emit more than 40dba
>>
File: IMG_20160411_122817.jpg (503 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_122817.jpg
503 KB, 2560x1920
>>981717

Well most of the chiseling force obviously comes from the rear handle but with something of any reasonable size with a large hammer drill bit the fucker wants to turn like a miserable pitbull
>>
File: 1457831661855.jpg (15 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1457831661855.jpg
15 KB, 300x186
>>981722
>at job tearing up some shit tile from a basement
>ask one of the workers there if I can borrow his grinder for a minute to sharpen the scraper
>hands me a 4.5 inch grinder with a 6 inch disc on it
>>
>>978076
As someone who works in a hardware store I see about 2 guys a month that somehow fucked themselves up on table-saws.
>>
>>981764
how bad are they usually fucked up?
are you talking new wounds or old wounds?
>>
>>981507
underrated post.
>>
>>981767
Fresh and old, but I meant 2 recent occurrences a month (on average). Most times they just get nicked pretty badly, there are a few guys that have lost parts of fingers or entire fingers.
>>
>>981452
If you had placed the grinder disc up like a non-regard this wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>981764
I used to live in a small country town that had a sawmill, parents owned the service station there and I reckon I could just about tell how long most of the blokes worked at the mill by how many fingers they didn't have.
>>
>>981741
I was meaning holding it with an underhand grip going clockwise and overhand counter-clockwise. A strong grip mind you.

That's what I do if I can, usually your grip will break before your bones in an unexpected kick like that. Not all SDS drills have clutches. Most good drills should but I run with the better safe than sorry mentality. I've had "clutched" (supposedly quality brand too) SDS drills catch and put close to full rotational torque into the handles.

Like I said though, that's not always possible.
>>
>>981767
I saw a guy with 2.5 fingers the other day.
I'm guessing table saw.
>>
>>978086
Oh my god haha. That last visual of the mechanic
>>
>>978099
>>978155
I too imagine that i fall onto the blade, hahaha

My second is the angle grinder too
>>
File: 1461258668653-1302573681.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1461258668653-1302573681.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>***I don't intend to use this***
>>
File: Scared-Cat[1].jpg (28 KB, 620x463) Image search: [Google]
Scared-Cat[1].jpg
28 KB, 620x463
>>982072

My neighbor almost burned down a mountain using a circular saw blade on his weed whacker. Dry drought ridden area. Mow before 10am laws in effect. Dumbass decides to clear brush in the afternoon. Hits rock. Spark ignites dry brush. Army of fire fighters arrive and put it out. Dumbass fined heavily.
>>
File: PICT0140600x450.jpg (48 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
PICT0140600x450.jpg
48 KB, 600x450
This fuckin' thing
>>
>>982078

They sell circ saw attachments for weedwackers so it is not any sort of ghetto rig as it may appear.
>>
File: 1461204819610.jpg (11 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
1461204819610.jpg
11 KB, 320x272
>>982082
Mfw
>>
File: jeremy-clarkson.jpg (25 KB, 434x299) Image search: [Google]
jeremy-clarkson.jpg
25 KB, 434x299
>>982097
>They sell circ saw attachments for weedwackers
>>
>>982097
to be fair, "larger weed wackers" can be used with said attachments ("diamond" tooth blades) to cut tall green weeds/grass in places a tractor cant go (in between trees, walls, etc)

using it on dry stuff was a big mistake
>>
>>982082

It's just a chainsaw's smaller brother.
>>
>>982128
Why would you want a flaw blade to cut grass.
>>
>>982082
cool as fuck
>>
>>982082
That looks pretty nigger-rigged, but I'm curious. Is it a real thing that's sold?
>>
>>982216
String trimmers do jack shit against anything thicker and woodier than grass.
>>
File: Capture.png (107 KB, 946x459) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
107 KB, 946x459
>>982238
>>
File: R&S.gif (939 KB, 375x280) Image search: [Google]
R&S.gif
939 KB, 375x280
>>982082
oh shit
>>
File: fs560cem.png (86 KB, 329x699) Image search: [Google]
fs560cem.png
86 KB, 329x699
>>982125
>>982072
>>982078
>>982239
Run these fuckers all day at work. Pretty nice. The blade on ours is 3 bladed ninja star looking thing. Cuts up to probably 3/4-1" woody brush with relative ease.
>>
Kind of pre power tool but my bernzomatic kerosene torch. You have to light a pool of gas on fire to get it to work. Pic related.
>>
>>982313
You sure it's kerosene, and not gasoline?

Those aren't any more dangerous than an old svea or optimus stove. Just a little scary to get used to the idea of starting a fire on top of the fuel tank.
>>
File: face.png (4 MB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
face.png
4 MB, 1440x1440
Definitely angle grinder for me. Had a wire wheel catch the end of a pipe and kick on me a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately my face was right there and this is what I got.
I got extremely lucky that it didn't hit anywhere else, and it was only bad road rash.
>>
>>982332
You are correct. I have a kerosene camp stoveof the same vintage. The torch is gas. I have seen these torches squirt gas out of ports on the tank, or develop leaks on the air pump, packing nuts, etc. That seems dangerous if the user doesn't notice it right away.
>>
>>982334
>power take off

I do ranch work for my buddy some time and we ride around on the tractor to get around. He fires up the brushwacker occasionally while I am back there riding on it and it scares the shit out of me. It has a plastic guard on it, but still, I know, its right there, spinning, just a foot away. Scares the shit out of me. Ugly way to go. I ask him not to fire it up while I am riding back there but he's in a hurry.

Out of all my tools I respect my old 28 inch shindaewa the most. I know its impossible for me to merely "nick" myself with it. One wrong move and I'm losing something, just a chunk if I am lucky.

Plasma Cutter is a close second but its pretty specific on what you can do. Makes me very conscious of hand placement though. Probably take off a finger and not even notice for an hour.
>>
File: $_1[1].jpg (26 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
$_1[1].jpg
26 KB, 400x298
>>982349
No more dangerous then a propane torch with a similar fault.
>>
File: $_75.jpg (25 KB, 430x323) Image search: [Google]
$_75.jpg
25 KB, 430x323
Nearly lost my leg with one of these fuckers
>>
>>978186
am I doing it right?
>>
>>982358
are you dumb? it's totally different. propane would vent out as a gas and if you don't immediately notice the sound you will notice the smell. Propane would also disperse in a well ventilated room.
>>
Chainsaw ultimate fuck your shit up hard and fast tool.
Even with Kevlar everywhere kick back and a loose hand will take your jaw off and cut your throat.
The chain spins at 20m/s and the injuries compared to those from an IED.
AND if you don't die in the wood from your on doing your mate will fell a tree and fucking bend you in half and paralyse you.
And because your polish or Latvian or what ever the fuck we bury you in the wood and deny you ever existed.
>>
>>982438
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGRxjXSMAI skip to 2:50 for how to use angle grinders in australia.
>>
File: 185712098.gif (627 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
185712098.gif
627 KB, 500x363
>mfw I had to cut several pieces of small (15/16) trim with my chop saw and didn't have any extra material/sticks to hold it in place

I managed to not lose any fingers despite it kicking several times :^)
>>
>>978076
For me its the angle grinder. A few years back as a novice on a job site I was polishing some steel and dropped one with a wire brush head onto my leg. Scratched the skin on my inner thigh. Stung like a bitch, especially washing and applying disinfectant. Learned my lesson on dangerous power tools and appropriate handling on that day. Thank god it wasn't something worse.
>>
>>982285

I have an old as fuck FS-120 and an FS85r

Bike handles are great for more open areas but the loop handle is superior for anything technical.
>>
Not a power tool but ladders.
>>
>>982560
see
>>980184
>>980222
and
>>980570
>>
>>978822
>and this is when I realized I might need a new pair of shorts
This guy is hilarious.
4:17 is fucking horrible holy shit.
>>
File: lathe.jpg (74 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lathe.jpg
74 KB, 640x480
>>981738
yeah, but you're body weight is behind the tool transferred through your wrist, not perpendicular which is the direction the tool binds. that's how wrist injuries occur.

>>981739
>claims to be retarded
>uses tools wrong
>calls a blade "a bit"
>"trust me"

lol'd

also, shoutout to pic related. Get a loose piece of clothing caught in one of those, quickest way to bestgore.com
>>
>>982334
This. Angle grinder with a brush kicked back right on my left thumb. nothing serious luckily I had gloves on yet I felt my flesh twisted from my bone. That was shocking.
>>
>>982473
yeah, but my metal is strapped to my crotch. and I don't need safety glasses because I'm not a pussy ausfag.
>>
>>982739
dayyyum
>>
>>982739
What part of 'brace against your off hand' don't you understand?
>>
>>982334
let me guess, no gaurd?
>>
>>978086
I was walking past some guys working on 6" boiler pipe. No guards, no face protection being worn. I was about 10' away when the disk came off and skinned my hair.
>>
>>979354
>table saw
>lost fingers
>lathe
>get all your blood wringed out
Prognosis matters as much as likelihood
>>
>>982904
the part where you've never used the tool before
>>
>>982739

>SDS chisel blade

That sounds very incorrect to me.
>>
>>978130
Fuck that.blade guards just get in the way.control your body,control your board,everything will be fine.
>>
>>983090
You have terrible reading comprehension.
>>
9" angle grinder with a cutting disc, no doubt.
>>
>>980724
Bugs life?
>>
>>982905
No, I had a guard on it, just a bad spot. Pipe was about 12" from the ceiling, and 18" from an i-beam, so the only way I could see what I was doing was to put my face about 6" away from what I was wire wheeling.
>>
>>983297
Damn that sucks.
Ive thought of getting under my car and removing some rust before it spreads, but your pic is what stops me. also the fear that I dont know what Im doing and will just make it worse even if its painted.
>>
Oxy-acetylene in confined spaces or 9" grinder without guard
>>
>>978920
Confirmed. I was running a router for a year as an underqualified intern. If there isn't enough suction to keep the material flat I was told to use my hands to hold it down either side of the router bit. It's alright for ply etc but alloy would get really hot and occasionally shoot bits of hot sharp metal at you. Oh and ice casionally the machine moves in an unexpected direction, because you accidentally program a path out of sequence. Eventuallly I just started holding material down with a stick.
>>
>>983311
>>983297
I don't want to be Captain Hindsight, but isn't this the exact reason they make face shields?
>>
File: SUtrrWR.gif (4 MB, 270x210) Image search: [Google]
SUtrrWR.gif
4 MB, 270x210
>>978239
yeah lathes are up there
>>
I worked in a cabinet shop for 3 years and I've worked in construction for 5. By far the most dangerous power tool is the table saw. You gotta respect the saw otherwise the saw won't respect you, like any other tool. However a big ass table saw is just intimidating, and I was always on edge operating it even when I got comfortable.
>>
>>984387
What did this dumbass expect to happen?
>>
>>984387
>lathes are totally dangerous gais
>only posts proving this are showing idiots breaking almost all basic shop safety rules.

A tool isn't inherently dangerous if it fucks you up because you were being a fucking moron.

A tool that fucks you up even if you follow all the rules and pay attention, is an inherently dangerous tool.

I have found that the most inherently dangerous tool in the shop is a moron.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.