[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Safety in Obscurity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: 41uib56UPRL._SY400_.jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
41uib56UPRL._SY400_.jpg
16 KB, 400x400
Hey /diy/,
I live somewhere shitty and don't want my computer stolen.

What could I use as a computer case that doesn't look like a computer case, but still has enough air flow to house a computer/computer components?

Bonus points: if a robber hears computer fans sounds from it, he'll still ignore it.

I'm currently looking at air conditioning wall sleeves, or empty air conditioning units, any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
Literally any fucking box shaped object at all. Or no box. You could very easily make a tall planter out of wood and create a false bottom where you mount your shit and ventilate it as much as you want. You can mount it in your wall. You can mount the components inside the desk cabinet.
>>
My computer's motherboard is mounted to one of the filing cabinets in my huge, heavy, steel desk. There's no way to quickly take it and go.
>>
trouble with this idea is your burglar will just follow the cables from your monitor, keyboard etc to this box.

So that means you with have to unplug and hide your keyboard and monitor every time you go out, and let's be honest after a month you'll stop doing that because you're human.
>>
File: SC.jpg (281 KB, 1839x1282) Image search: [Google]
SC.jpg
281 KB, 1839x1282
Can't move it. Can't get into it very easily. I'd say this is perfect.

Joking aside. A shoe box. Wooden box. Just anything ropey and invaluable looking.
>>
>>973822
Hmmm. Do you think I could put that underground and make a shelter? I think my computer would be safe underground.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>973798
>Take it and go
>>
>>973825
No. Shipping containers cannot be buried without heavy reinforcement of the walls. They're perfect for your Swedish cuckshed builds though. A used 40 footer will run you around 5 grand on eBay last I checked.
>>
>>973857
I was joking...
>>
File: neverobsolete.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
neverobsolete.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
What you probably want to do is reuse an old heavy and obsolete computer case. Your average crackhead won't want anything to do with what look like a beige eMachine from the 90s. Just don't add any large LED fans.
>>
Why not invest in better doors or an insurance plan
>>
>>973998
I like this idea. I'll check ebay for some good ones
>>
>>974008
This.
Back up anything you want to keep and keep that on you or hidden.
Let the robbers steal your PC, claim it on insurance. Build a new one.
>Or is this a "totally not cops" thread?
>>
>>973998
you know, could a false advertising class action suit theoretically be started against e-machines for their "never obsolete" tagline?
>>
>>974008
>thinking this will stop thieves.
>>
Get a big dog and a shotgun. That's probably the only thing that'll keep people from stealing your shit. Get insurance for when you aren't home. Make sure to take lots of pics of your junk for the insurance.
>>
>>974062
Are you sure it wise sending dick pics to your insurer?
>>
>>973998
Yeah, I've seen this.

Burglars ignoring tens of thousands of dollars in equipment just to grab an old mac.
>>
>>974136
It's to scare them into submission.

>who is this guy?
>why is he sending me pics of his dick? Is he threatening me
>I better give him what he wants so he won't rape me.
>>
>>973998
niggas will still take it
>>
>>974149
Seems like the most probable response
>>
>>973791
Do you live in a common wealth country?
I cant think of any other way to explain this level of cuckage.
>>
File: Server_Rack.jpg (2 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Server_Rack.jpg
2 MB, 1536x2048
You could put you computer in a rack mount case. put it in a server rack. Load up the rest of the rack with a bunch of other broken shit with wires and such attached so it looks like it all works. Maybe get fancy and rig up some blinking LEDs and fans in the decoy / broken shit. It will be too fucking heavy to steal all at once and with luck they will steal some broken shit. Also have everything screwed into the rack with hex screws or something less common then a Philips and don't have your tools easy to find.
>>
>>974041
they mean their upgrade service attached to the computer
>>
>>973791
>Get a hardened chain.
>Feed it in through a expansion bracket, out through a rear vent
>Wrap chain around some structural member of the house
>Lock with large lock.

Thief now has a choice:
- cut hardened chain
- slice up the computer case
- pick the lock

Of course you also have a choice:
- stop living in a war zone
>>
>>974519
springing off what this anon suggested. SOrry my computer lingo is poor, get a decent computer "shell" ---the big box part of the computer that usually houses cd/dvd drive, and keep it in a central location of your home. Maybe an inexpensive external HDD, or other things that make this decoy station look like your regular 'rig' only to have your regular rig hidden somewhere else in the house.
>>
>>974526
To spin back off this, can you open up you walls?
put the computer in a wall, put in an AC wall register for ventilation, maybe 2. put out a decoy pc. thief just sees wall air vent and decoy pc
>>
Get one of these, take out the guts, put the PC in.

Bonus DIY points: Route the cables through a wall, bring them out, then put them into a dummy PC via female-female sockets, then plug from that PC to your monitor, mouse etc. Your average thief won't register that your PC has twice the amount of connectors on the back (Half going into your wall), and will just steal the dummy PC. Double bonus points for putting a fan and LEDs in it
>>
>>973998
The chameleon XLE
>>
>>973791
OP, if the police want to find you stash of CP they will. I suggest not collecting CP.
>>
>>973791
feels good to be canadian we dont even lock our doors
if you live somewhere shitty get a laptop or else just a heavy as fuck SECC steel beige box and nobody will fuck with that and just leave a semi decent case with a bag of gravel in it
>>
>>973998
>unlimited internet access
>some restrictions apply
Would only work if you have nothing modern looking attached to it.

Just bolt everything to the desk. And leave some cheap but expensive looking bait item to divert attention.
>>
>>975063
>we dont even lock our doors
thanks for the info
poland is geting hard lateley
>>
>>974818
This is probably the best thing, you could even get an XL plastic tube that looks like a cord, put all cables in there, make a hole in a cheap wall plug cover and make it all seem just an AC plug and cord for maxxxx /diy/ bonus points
>>
>>973791
>What could I use as a computer case that doesn't look like a computer case

A shitty 90's computer case
>>
>>973791

make regular backups and get some renters or home insurance, you're not going to be able to rig a solution for cheaper than a few bucks per month which a valuable personal property rider
>>
File: diagram_3-in-1[1].gif (65 KB, 650x389) Image search: [Google]
diagram_3-in-1[1].gif
65 KB, 650x389
/g/ here
build your computer into the wall. Do whatever ventilation crap you want.
And then do pic related. You don't even have to be in the same room.

What the hell is a robber going to do, tear down the wall to figure out where the cables are all going even though there's no PC visible in the house?
>>
>>974041
They're never obsolete if you never update your software
>>
>>973998
>Advising against boost speed leds
Please anon don't listen to him, add the leds but make sure the light doesn't leak to the outside.
>>
>>973998
That or the old timey rack-mount towers, then stick about 30kg of sheet lead in the bottom of the case.
If they 'really' want it, they're gunna suffer for it.
>>
I've seen 2 types of burglars, the ones that roll up in a moving truck and take everything that isn't to large for their truck and crackheads who run in, grab what they can carry and run.

The movers are hard to hide stuff from because they take almost everything and sort it out when they get back to Mexico. Your best bet is an attic case with monitor and USB cables that go to/from a wall jack. You'll lose the monitor and peripherals but there's a better chance they won't go in the attic. The best defense against these guys are friendly shutin neighbors. "Anon at work, were you getting new furniture? There are some men packing your stuff into a truck."

I've seen crack/methheads stopped by pesky power cables. If they can't steal it there's a chance they'll smash it before moving on. So your best bet is a strong steel case with a chain attacked to a stud or something heavy. You could still lose peripherals.
>>
>>973791
Go to any welding place. and have them weld you 1/8" thick plate on the 4 sides and ontop. 1/2" thick plate on the bottom, with two holes drilled 6" apart. Get some concrete anchors and mount that shit to the floor.. [It works for concrete slab foundation]
>>
>>973867

But his answer was totally serious.

'tard
>>
make it look like a sibian with an anal dildo attachment.
>>
>>974818
This, but rig the dummy PC with supercharged capacitors that will discharge upon contact with a thief.
>>
>>973867
welcome to /diy/
>>
>>977788
listen to this guy, OP
"difficult to remove" is probably better than "cunningly disguised"
>>
>>973801
What are low voltage gang boxes with hdmi and usb ports run those cables to your desk and plug that shit into the wall never need to worry about the one person that may know how to find where those cables lead without demoing the walls to do it because face it criminals aren't all geniuses

Hell a proactive security setup like visual cameras and signs saying you're on private property and are being recorded would stop most folks and you can put up the shittiest cameras that aren't even connected for that kind of shit to work.
>>
>>977788
Thanks, I like this advice
>>
>>974818
Link?
>>
>>973791
Step #1: Get a cardboard box.
Step #2: Stick pictures of goatse, tubgirl, and the pain series all over it's exterior.
Step #3: Place said computer into that box
Step #4 (Optional) :Add a nice touch by putting some drops of hot-glue over said images, make it look just like cum.

There OP, now nobody would want to touch your computer.
>>
>>981314
>Implying gay robbers wouldn't want my cum
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.