[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the practical benefits of lifting your house?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13
File: lifted_house.png (642 KB, 609x460) Image search: [Google]
lifted_house.png
642 KB, 609x460
What are the practical benefits of lifting your house?
>>
>>973413
Escaping the flood plain/ocean you were stupid enough to build on.
>>
No floods
Plenty of shade for a patio
Toilets will have great flow
>>
>>973413
Man that would make a sweet hunting shack.
>>
Keeps it clean away from the dirty floor.

You wouldn't eat off the ground, why lower yourself to living on it?
>>
>>973417
Yeah, the listing for that house talks a lot about hunting and fishing. It's pretty cheap, too, if you're up for it.
>>
>House

It's a static caravan, who could live permanently in something so small? That's for the odd weekend hunting trip.
>>
>>973413
Mostly just flood plain stuff. Everything else is negated by having a second story on a normal house.
>>
>>973413
Maybe not lifting, but my parent's house is built on posts on a hill, so it's about 7 feet on one end and a normal 2 feet on the other. House was built on a tight budget and that is the reason it was build on posts.
>>
>>973438
Well, it''s this and you don't need to lay a real foundation to build a structure on pylons.

You just need to bury some pylons in some concrete and build on. It bypasses a lot of a code in certain places, especially Florida.

Craigslist guy probably said 'hunting cabin' because whatever municipality says a house without a real foundation is a 'vacation shed' or 'temporary dwelling' or some shit and gets taxed differently.

Also, it's flood-proof. Well, your utilities won't be flood-proofed, you'd still lose power, gas, water, ect and your car is swept away into the murky bottom of the swamp a mile away but hey, dry bed, dry kitchen. You got a generator, emergency booze and a can of Off, right?
>>
File: 1353477567736.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
1353477567736.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
>>973428
>if you're up for it
>>
>>973413

Protection from zombies.
>>
>>973413
>What are the practical benefits of lifting your house?
the main reason I have seen this is when people want a house (trailer, usually) on a riverfront, but want to make the house somewhat flood-resistant.
>>
>>973413
it doubles as a tree stand
hunt from comfort of living room
>>
>>973513
>>973513

Bury pylons in cement? What the fuck? You mean use a power augur and bury sonotubes and fill those with concrete?

Judging by the buttresses on those trees they are cypress, so it's near a swampy area the kind found near the Everglades or Louisiana. Obviously that is why it's been sky jacked. Jesus Christ you millennials are fucking stupid.
>>
>>973413
Louisiana-fag here

>Can be build by rivers/swamps/lakes with impunity
>Avoids the fact that the ground here is dogshit, the whole state is basically packed silt and it's damn near impossible to prevent buildings from sinking into the ground over time, and it's a hell of a lot easier to level buildings standing on pylons than those built on a foundation
>God-tier parking space to put vehicles and boats and shit, as well as having cookouts under your house
>>
>>973413
When running around the house you can take a short cut and run under it
>>
>>973413
My dad is an architect an designed his house up 20 feet off the ground. We lived on a river that flooded kind of regularly. Whenever it was about to flood we would park our cars on high ground, and tie a canoe off to the stairs so we could reach them.
>>
File: idunbelivity.jpg (45 KB, 599x797) Image search: [Google]
idunbelivity.jpg
45 KB, 599x797
>>973796
ayyy 337
>>
>>973413
we it looks like that guys shit floods on regular occasion ... so yea
>>
>>974019
318 representing
Fuck flooding
>>
>>974005
Scott you nigger.
>>
>>974019
985 over here, flooding every fucking time it rains
>>
>>974019
>>974182

Ayyy 504
>>
>>973413
no basement to clean
>>
>>973429
>static caravan
In the USA those are called mobile homes and millions of people live in them. USA is a 3rd world country hidden under a 1st world country.
>>
>>974508
no basement to store stuff in
>>
>>973757
I thought I told you to fuck off this board?
>>
>>974524
The poor in the USA have cars, big screen tvs, internet and cell phones.
>>
>>974573
fucking welfare
>>
>>973413
A home like in the picture would probably also have less trouble from vermin like rats or groundhogs, so long as there aren't easy entrances once said vermin climbs the steps. However you'd be providing a lot of ceiling surface underneath for wasps.
>>
>>974591
It doesnt even have to be welfare, its just people living beyond their means with their minimum wage jobs.
>>
So how is such a thing engineered? You can use strength of materials to figure out what kind of pylon you need, but how the fuck do you estimate the weight of a structure that potentially hasnt been built yet?
>>
>>974738
You are putting much more thought into this than the average person who does this is.
>>
>>974746
Well I would like to build a house into a hill one day and I sure as shit am not going to put it on relative toothpicks guessing them to be good enough.
>>
>>974738
Design the structure, calculate the weight of building material, add humans/furniture, multiply by a safety factor, bang, here's your weight.
>>
If you're going to bother lifting a fucking house you might as well save money, time, and energy by building a makeshift boat under it and anchoring it in several places.

Depending on what you use and well you make it, it will be leak proof and watertight for decades.

Plus if it floods you can mount an outboard on it and go cruising in your house.
>>
>>974738
>but how the fuck do you estimate the weight of a structure that potentially hasnt been built yet?
Are you fucking dumb? The majority of the time you do this with a manufactured building. IE, something built on an assembly line with known quantities of material. Then you build pylons rated for that weight plus a healthy margin of error. Contrary to what you may assume this isn't actually complicated in any way whatsoever.

>>974791
>what the fuck is a houseboat
>>
File: RedneckHighrise.jpg (22 KB, 288x425) Image search: [Google]
RedneckHighrise.jpg
22 KB, 288x425
>>973416
Great view
>>
File: wind.jpg (72 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
wind.jpg
72 KB, 1680x1050
>>974824
now i'm not a struct'ral engineer or anything but fucking nope
>>
>>974738
They're typically overbuilt to fuck, since it has the added bonus of reducing swaying, makes it take a bit longer to lose level, and frankly makes framing easier

Case in point: A nearby restaurant build on the side of the river on pylons caught fire several years back, and out of the ~50 pylons it was sitting on only 6 didn't collapse from the fire, and they held the building without much issue (albeit, without customers) until the building was re leveled and repaired
>>
>>974824
>mfw
>>
File: redneck-jokes-pictures-38[1].jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
redneck-jokes-pictures-38[1].jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>974803
>>what the fuck is a houseboat
>>
File: redneck2[1].jpg (83 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
redneck2[1].jpg
83 KB, 600x450
>>973413
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 736x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 736x551
They just kind of look unfinished.

Why not brick up the gaps and have a supper sweet work shop under your house?
>>
>>974791
do yo really think that building a dry hull for an entire house is cheaper that digging some holes and burying some posts? really?
>>
i live in a rocky and hilly place and is way more cheaper and faster to mount your house on some short legs than to digg an entire foundation for it.
also in places with wet enviroments, were the groundwater is too close to the surface, rising your house even half a meter saves you from future filtrations from the floor.
>>
>>974876
For the same reason you don't leave the house on the ground itself? Watch as your workshop floats off in the next flood.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 460x276
>>
>>974876

kek

bait is real
>>
>>974894

Not really, I just think it'd be funny to see a trailer motor around
>>
>>974623
This is why I think they should slash minimum wage in half or just get rid of it entirely, fucking poor people are so stupid.
>>
>>974747
Suggestion
>$50 and Up Underground House Book
Very good shit.
>>
>>976058
>no one who wants to build a house is capable of actual construction
k
>>
>>974876

Dat fucking elevator.
>>
>>976064
What are you even saying here?
>>
>>976197
That someone talking about building something not be assumed a memester? What the fuck else?
>>
>>973429
> who could live permanently in something so small?

>YFW the average "single wide" square footage is just over 1000ftsq. The average house size in the UK is 818ftsq.

The aren't that small. The are largest than most apartments in north america or europe. But they are rather poorly built and obviously not designed to last hundreds of years like regular homes with built in foundations.
>>
File: clayton mobile home.jpg (82 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
clayton mobile home.jpg
82 KB, 700x466
>>976227

Mobile homes can last a great while.

The newer mobile homes are now using 2x4 framing, and went from non industry standard switches, wiring, plugs, and appliances to industry standards.

Due to the nature of a trailer requiring transport, it does bend and twist requiring certain construction measures that are inferior to a home. However if the location you are putting it is permanent, things like foundations, and other things which can give it longevity. I've seem trailers that appear to be homes if you weren't aware prior it was in fact a mobile/prefab.

I know mobile homes who are in very good condition 25 years old.

Like with anything from tools, cars, and your body. Take care of it, regular maintenance, and it will last and be reliable.
>>
>>976248
Yeah, I lived in a very nice mobile home for a couple of years, I kept it clean and insulated it, and all my friends were surprised that it was so nice.

The problem with mobile homes is usually the kind of people that live in them. The term 'Trailer Trash' exists for a reason.
>>
>>974869
honestly? that looks comfy as fuck.

10/10 would put into post apocalyptic wasteland.
>>
>>973413
to escape tornadoes and high winds.
>>
>pissed off redneck with an f-350 attaches a cable to a support pole and drags your house down

nope fuck this shit
>>
>>977758

>implying there is enough solid metal on a new f-350 to hold a tow cable

RIP bumper
>>
>>973427
#rekt
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>977758
>>pissed off redneck with an f-350 attaches a cable to a support pole and drags your house down

How about a pissed of anti-semite in a GMC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WqzJvhR9Fo
>>
>>976070
Grandma coming over in her wheelchair? Just roll her in the lifting cage and hoist her up with the Chinese lawn mover engine winch.
>>
>>973413
If you can lift your house, you must be pretty swole.
>>
>>977927
Or a normal winch?
>>
>>973520

CARLOS!
>>
>>977832
Wow.
>character in Grand Theft Auto 5 is a huge 80s action movie fan
>literally chains a house to a truck and rips it down in a mission

Stolen straight out of a movie
>>
File: 1460592415466.jpg (152 KB, 784x757) Image search: [Google]
1460592415466.jpg
152 KB, 784x757
>>973427
>Why lower yourself
>>
>>977758
>implying you would leave your tow hitch exposed
>>
Wut
>>
>>974869
>american favela
>>
>>978906
Looks like stage props desu
>>
>>973413
looks rad as fuck
>>
>>974869
amusement trailer park
>>
>>974930
>this kills the view
>>
just gonna say now, im a fucking newfag and have no idea how to do anything. dont even know what ppl mean by /b/. wtf do i do?
>>
>>979071
Lurk moar
>>
It looks rad as fuck. I would want to have a country house like that
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.