[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Keyless start? New fob for doors and shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 6.jpg (73 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
73 KB, 960x540
Hey everyone, posting this here because no one in /o/ actually knows shit about cars or anything in general.

So i just picked up this 97 4 door Tahoe and the previous owner didnt have the original FOB for the doors, he also said it has a Keyless start installed but also does not have the FOB for it.
So im wondering if anyone knows if its possible if i could get a new fob which will work for both, or if its even possible to get a new fob and program it for both in general.
I do know its possible to get a fob for just the door locks etc, but i dont know if i can get a new fob for the remote start, or how that works in general. Would it be easier to just carry around 2 fobs? Can i get a fob for the remote start in the first place?
Im good at fabrication so if its possible that i could get the two fobs i could even make a new shell and make one single fob somehow.

TLDR: Bought a 97 Tahoe, has power everything and an aftermarket remote start, owner didnt have fobs for either, wondering if i can program a fob for both or what would be the best route to go.
>>
How many buttons do you need?
If it's like 4-5 just get an universal remote with the correct ranges.
At this point you look up any kind of code you find on the old systems to identify them and either snoop the right frequency or see if it's on a sticker inside
>>
Youre out of luck unless you have a job in the auto industry. Contact the nearest Ford dealership
>>
>>973008
I really just need Lock, unlock and start, never had a remote start before so im not really sure how that works, just think it would be cool for winter, it gets cold as all hell up here
>>
>>973014
Lock and unlock are easy, since you know it's aftermarket
Start probably gas a safety switch and a stop too
Pictures would really help
>>
You're going to have to go to a dealer and it'll be between 300-500 per fob you want.
>>
>>973003
You can go to Oriellys and get a Dorman replacement key Fob for your factory power locks, its a LOT cheaper than a dealership.

As for remote start, that is aftermarket. They didnt have the option at the factory.

You need to look around and figure out where it is and what brand it is. You can probably find a fob for it then, not sure if youll be able to find a singular fob for both.

In my opinion, GM has some of the worst wiring and electrical issues of all the 90s cars. If it were me I would find the remote start and rip the shit out and fix whatever wiring they hacked up to install it.
>>
So I looked some more and found out that its easy enough to program a door lock fob for the 97 tahoe, just jump pin 4 and 8 on the obd port and it will go into programming mode, then with a compatible fob hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time and it will cycle the locks showing it is programmed.
As for the remote start i will need to do some more snooping around in the truck to find the module along and whatever wiring has been done, i did find a nest of wires and relays underneath the drivers side but i havent had time to really dig into it. Its going to need to wait until the weekend.
I found that a stock fob for locks is only around $20 on amazon and will program in as i stated earlier. So that problem is solved, and now to find figure out the mess of a remote start thats in there.
>>
Autoloc.com makes some nice kits.
Tapping into the starter, ignition wire, and keylock at the column are made simple with a kit.
I had it on my 97 reg cab, 01 S10, and 09 Colorado.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.