[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy, what should be the thickness for a 100x200cm glass top
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: table.jpg (173 KB, 1152x701) Image search: [Google]
table.jpg
173 KB, 1152x701
Hi /diy, what should be the thickness for a 100x200cm glass top supported by two trestles? A 15mm tempered glass is enough to support max 50 kg of objects?
>>
File: tablecad.jpg (55 KB, 1202x687) Image search: [Google]
tablecad.jpg
55 KB, 1202x687
pic related the right dimensions
>>
>>971960
It really depends what you're going to put on it, i it just going to be a laptop? or is it going to be 4 screens and a desktop? Are you going to have things like a printer on there? Books?

Tally up the weight of all the objects and then add more for the weight added by your arms when typing and more on top of that to be safe and then come back to us.
>>
>>971979
Well OP wrote he was planning for max 50kg of objects.
>>
>>971988
Thank you...I am dumb and retract my statement.
>>
>>971960
In that case OP, I sugest you try google, it's really quite simple, you type in "strength of tempered glass desk"

and then this is the 3rd link

http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-table-top-weight-load-calculator.aspx

with your dimensions and the span in the middle a 15mm piece of tempered glass (converted into shitty inches) can hold up to 270kg (600lb) so you should be fine with that I'd say.
>>
Remember that a desk MUST be able to hold the weight of everything you might ever put on it, AND your total body weight.

Because at some point, you will lean on the thing.

And double that for safety.
>>
>>972005
>and double that for safety
DING DING

OP, if you're not an engineer, understand the "factor of safety" concept. Take the worst case condition loads, multiply them by [FOS, in this case 2], and design for THAT load.

You really don't want your glass desk exploding (because it's tempered glass, that's what it does) when you have that much stuff on it
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.