[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /currentlypainting/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
File: 20160401_183124.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160401_183124.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
who /currentlypainting/ here?
>>
Beautiful toilet paper holder op
>>
File: IMG_20160401_214901.jpg (58 KB, 720x478) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_214901.jpg
58 KB, 720x478
>>971266
You didn't have to dip your brush that deep anon. Just the tip.
>>
>>971266
psst... multiple, thin coats.
>>
>>971287
the little fag at Home Depot lied to me then. he told me to dip the entire brush part and slowly move it along the area i wanted to paint. he told me to make sure that ilthe brush was completely covered in paint
>>
tsk, tsk, tsk

look at all those thick brush strokes
>>
>>971307

Ignore the other guy. Partially dipping the brush will duck it up. The paint will dry in clumps near its edge, bunching bristles together. You dip it to the band to ensure the dried edge of paint ends up there instead of the bristles.

I once ducked up a $20 brush because I didn't know this. Although I probably could have left it in paint stripper and fixed it...
>>
File: BaitfishIDWeb-1.jpg (32 KB, 463x484) Image search: [Google]
BaitfishIDWeb-1.jpg
32 KB, 463x484
>>971337
>>
File: all_parts.jpg (38 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
all_parts.jpg
38 KB, 450x800
Painted my bathroom lamp green yesterday (just spraypaint pleb level though).
Here are the parts drying in my shower (didn't have any other place to hang them, small flat in the city). The main part in the middle is fairly thin sheet metal, the other parts are plastic.
>>
File: metal_body.jpg (75 KB, 685x800) Image search: [Google]
metal_body.jpg
75 KB, 685x800
>>971712
Was my first time (spray-) painting, and I got a bit of running, so I wiped some of the paint off and tried again in one place, which resulted in this sub par place.
>>
File: mounted_no_plastic.jpg (34 KB, 800x239) Image search: [Google]
mounted_no_plastic.jpg
34 KB, 800x239
>>971712
>>971714
All in all I'm pretty happy though. Here is the lamp mounted, plastic pieces are still drying though, had to give them a few more coats, because they were black plastic and it didn't take the colour as nicely (despite using primer and sanding everything as good as I could).
>>
>>971712
>>971714
>>971716
Why though? Also I'm assuming you're renting the apartment, wouldn't your landlord be pissed that you're just painting light fixtures bright ass colours?
>>
>>971895
yes, I'm renting, but she just included the lamp for free and basically said "it's an old pos, you can have it". And if she changes her mind, worst case I just buy a new one for 15€ or sth.

Painted it because it was made in like 1984 and the "white" colour wasn't really white anymore.

It just looked hideous and I didn't like the sterile look of the bathroom, so I wanted to add some colour to it.
>>
File: Purdy_Paint_Brush_1[1].jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Purdy_Paint_Brush_1[1].jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>971266
The home derpot guy should have steered you toward a Purdy brush. The quality is really worth the price. If you clean them thoroughly after each use they'll last many years.

Protip: After applying the paint I do a fast gentle stroke to knock down any big brush marks.

> Partially dipping the brush will duck it up. The paint will dry in clumps near its edge, bunching bristles together.

Not entirely true. I don't intentionally dip mine up to the band, especially when doing trim work because that loads too much paint. I use a dish-washing bristle brush to clean mine and I clean all the paint out of the bristles. Again a quality brush makes a difference here.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.