[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello! Ignoring the April 1st theme joke and that probably no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: W-058.jpg (321 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
W-058.jpg
321 KB, 1000x1000
Hello!

Ignoring the April 1st theme joke and that probably no one is gonna see my post:

I have some standard aluminum cans (coca cola, redbull etc.) and I want to do something interesting with them, so I need some kind of light corrosive liquid that will slightly damage them/fuck up the pictures on the can if I let them soak in it. What should I use? Is there something that I can get over the counter in a drug store? Preferably the cheaper the better.
>>
>>971037
try some organic solvent (acetone, tolene, hexane,etc.)
they sell 0,5l of it for like $2
corrosives like acids or lye are better at dissolving the aluminum itself than removing the pain
>>
>>971045
you might need to soak them in it for a bit and them rub the paint off with a rug
or maybe not, they use very thin coat
also, do it outside and don't use plastic container
>>
>>971048
Is using a glass jar okay?
>>
>>971051
absolutelly, metal bucket or old pot will do fine as well
they don't have to be emerged, vapours will do just fine for soaking, but it's better to keep it under some kind of lid (that probably can be plastic if you don't plan on using it again)

maybe it won't even need soaking
(or maybe it's enamel-type paint and won't come off)
>>
>>971037
Put them in the recycling bin you hoarder.
>>
>>971037
you might try lightly rubbing them with a plain (non-soap) steel wool pad, in some salt water solution

the problem you have trying to 'lightly corrode' beverage cans is that they are *very* thin. anything like drain cleaner will totally eat through them very quickly.
>>
>>971045
Methyl ethyl ketone will do it
>>
If you use caustic soda, you can produce hydrogen and make some explosions. You can see this study of 2005 about it (Google Translate from Portuguese):
https://andersbateva.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/experimento-producao-de-hidrogenio-misturando-se-aluminio-e-soda-caustica/
>>
>>971073
>metal bucket
Please, please, not an aluminium bucket!
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.