[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So its nearing spring and I want to build an arbor out at the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: PLANT.jpg (147 KB, 971x1390) Image search: [Google]
PLANT.jpg
147 KB, 971x1390
So its nearing spring and I want to build an arbor out at the back for the new house. Completely new to building stuff so could I have some tips?
>pic related
Something like that but more accommodating to plants.
>>
>>970993
What tools you got?
>>
>>970994
The necessities. Saws, Hammers, Nails. And some powertools.
>>
>>970995
So you have a tablesaw, drill press, circular saw, band saw, router, and electric sander? Those are my necessities as far as power tools... Clearly I need more details on what you actually have so I can give proper advice.. Got a mitersaw for cutting 90 degrees?
>>
>>970996
Oh no. Don't have any of that fancy stuff. Just a normal saw. It's fine though coz I'm willing to do some elbow grease with the saws and sanding.
>>
>>970997
Yeah elbow grease is fine. But you gotta understand theres still a list of hand tools you need anyway with said elbow grease.

First id say go pick up a cheap plastic miter box from the hardware store. When making buttjoints nothings gonna make you more out of square then crooked handsaw joints. Unless you have a shooting board or miter guillotine?
>>
>>970999
Yeah I could go pick up a cheap one. Anything else?
>>
File: 14595017079241827940969.jpg (3 MB, 2400x3200) Image search: [Google]
14595017079241827940969.jpg
3 MB, 2400x3200
Heres a pic of what im thinking of building.
>>
>>971001
Are you european or canadian or America? What does YOUR country use standard wise? Like 4x4s or 2x4s?
>>
>>971003
No idea. So Canadian
>>
>>971001
>>971004
sorry this post took longer then expected, had to get on my pc and write/model it and its 6am an im on 2 hours of sleep.

x6: 4x4" 10 foot length pressure treated, or tarred at/below grade.
x6: 2x4" 8 foot length
x2 2x6" 16 foot length
x4 bags of gravel more depending how much actually comes in a bag. you need at least
x6 bags of cement one bag per post
x1 5 gallon bucket
x1 drill stir paddle
>*or if you've got a wheel borrow, and a garden hoe. that works instead of the 5 gallon bucket and sir paddle
x1 box of structural wood screws

Any extra screws/hardware/lumber needed to make it look how you like also.
>>
File: doc.jpg (153 KB, 1126x724) Image search: [Google]
doc.jpg
153 KB, 1126x724
>>971018
The 4x4 post need to be burried 1/3 of their total length under ground. dig a hole, a little larger then your needed depth, pour some gravel down into to the hole to get back up to your depth of 40" then fill the hole with dirt making sure to pack it down as you go up, until your right before the grade of the yard, leave about 6 inches unfilled. now mix your cement. you basically want to create a dome shape so as any water flows down the post, it flows off of the cement and away from the post, that's the point of the cement around post, to divert any outside water away from going straight down of the post part thats underground.

Each 4x4 post is going to be 94 inches ON CENTER. [measure from the middle of the post]
once your cement is cure move onto the top half. if you're by yourself doing this, install the 2x4s first [in the picture they are the shorter beams] then install the 2x6s it should help with the 2x4s installed getting it up there by yourself. its heavy so becareful. Also, if you use nails instead of screws, little protip, wood moves, never drive a nail in straight 90degrees to what ever you're nailing, drive them in at like a 45 degree to the work. keeps them from backing out over time when the wood warps/moves and it will. same goes for screws but they have a slightly better mechical bond with the wood.
sidenote. you don't really need the x2 2x4s on each side of the post, I thought it looked better. one would do if you feel like it. the rest of it is up to you. the structure if built like I've said. should be sound and solid and you can build a roof, add trellis, a center beam to hang large pots from. what ever you like. also the list above and picture design, requires you not to cut a damn thing by hand. so I helped ya out there. no straight cuts required. starting you off easy. OH and another protip. get a framing square and level and actually use them to make sure everything is square as you're installing it.
>>
>>971019
Holy shit thanks! Really appreciate it. Thought you left but I could start at least next week or when the weather gets good.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.