[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alternative for Rusted Pipe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: galvanized-pipe-corrosion.jpg (711 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
galvanized-pipe-corrosion.jpg
711 KB, 1600x1200
I stay in 25years old High Rise building. Im at top floor and my water pressure sucks. It gets worst due to rusted pipe inside my walls. Tried 0.3hp water pump directly from meter. There was slight improvement. But water pump blown to amount of rust formed in the motor itself. Looking for alternative such as installing filter, then water tank and pump water to house inlet. Any suggestions to do it in cheaper cost ?
>>
Please learn English, I'll try to help you the best I can, try running a snake down the pipe and pour CLR in it at the same time.
>>
>>970674
I will give a try. Thanks for the advice
>>
>>970677
Also, when you are done, be sure to let the water run for like 5 minutes to get the CLR out of the pipes.
>>
>>970681
I tried clearing the clogs by removing the metal pipes at my meter. There was improvement in water flow at the meter itself. But inside my house, the rate of water flow is bad depending at kitchen or toilet. Dont think snaking is possible at every pipe outlets.
>>
>>971034
Your house is only 25 years old yet its not using copper pipe on the supply lines? They've been the standard for 50 years. I've lived in homes built in the 60s that had them originally. They are a lot cheaper to install than steel pipes.
>>
>>971040
I'm from ASIA. You can imagine how bad our architect thinks when building a high rise building. Whole building was equipped with galvanized pipes and everyone facing rust and water pressure issues. Damn !
>>
>>971044
Must have really shitty water. My place was built in 1951, its still on its original galvanized pipes and I don't have any issues. Having a water softener might help prevent the problem in the future once you get it corrected.
>>
>>970670
Use PVC/plastic pipes.
>>
>>971062

Pretty standard now adays to remove the old steel pipes and run pex. Although to be fair, I as well had steel pipes from the 1940s and it was fine before I replaced it.
Can't imagine how horrible your water is or your high rise was plumbed with the cheapest chinese pipes imaginable. Either way I wouldnt drink the water.
>>
>>971053
Looking for cheap solutions. Water softener will cost more.
>>971062
Yeah, I'm considering between PEX and PVC with the joints price and number of holes to be drilled at my house.
>>971080
For drinking, im using a filter. As you mentioned, the filter really turn dark brown in 2weeks. I'm checking out the prices for PEX joints.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.
>>
>>970670
that look like anus, anon
>>
PEX + Sharkebite fittings

Don't get a PEX manifold.
>>
The fuck don't use pvc and if you use pex or wirsbo don't by fucking shark bites those fittings are much more expensive also, to the idiot saying put clr in the water pipe that's retarded literally every orifice with water coming out of it has a vacuum breaker to stop shit like that getting into your potable water system. So dont do that but a small 1/4 snake may work, but it's pretty tight in what I'm assuming is 3/4-1/2 pipe, so I doubt it'll make it through any bends and if it does, there's a good chance of it getting stuck and just fucking things up more
>>
You can install a strainer upstream of the pump and and back flow preventer downstream of the pump so nothing mucks it up
>>
>>970670
You can use cavitation to knock loose that rust.
Set up water solenoid valve and electric relay so the relay will oscilate valve and create fast pulses and relase water in this manner. This will knock loose limestone and rust very efficiently and can even cause leaks if pipes are made from iron. If You turn it on for short time and observe results and won't run it long, nothing bad should happen.
>>
>>971447
Something new to try. Will read on it more to setup water solenoid valve.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.