[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
H-how can I DIY my kettle such that I can turn it on via wifi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: HR43904.jpg (88 KB, 1000x1045) Image search: [Google]
HR43904.jpg
88 KB, 1000x1045
H-how can I DIY my kettle such that I can turn it on via wifi?
>>
>>970542
use a wifi adapter on the power switch
>>
>>970543
But it's likely a mechanical switch
>>
>>970546
Then no.
>>
>>970542
the mechanical switch is important. it is a safety feature that clicks off to prevent fire.

try a solenoid mounted in a frame and pointed at the switch controlled by a network enabled arduino or rpi.

or>>970543
and you can just
>turn off the power at the wifi adapter
>turn on the kettle at its switch
>when you wake up in the morning switch on the power over wifi
>one shot, if you snooze it will get cold

or, the same idea but with a hot plate and an old timey kettle.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>970542
Fatty detected.
>>
Apparently there's a way to do it with a raspberry pi and a power relay. Though it seems a bit silly strapping a $50 computer to my kettle.
>>
>>970559
How is that any worse than what you're trying to accomplish
>>
Buy ESP8266 ( costs $5).
Buy a 240v Switch Relay).
A little programming on how RELAY to turn ON/OFF GPIO .
A little modification to kettle wiring.
You are good to go.
>>
>>970623
>How is that any worse than what you're trying to accomplish
It's overkill, basically.

>>970648
Cheers bud I'll look into this. This would kill the kettle's mechanical turn-off-when-heated switch though wouldn't it?
>>
File: 20160331_232503.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160331_232503.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>970542
Call me crazy.

Get a timer, set it for your wake up time. Sends signal via WiFi to raspberry pi or something smart enough to start a small electric motor. It has to both so I backwards and forwards.

Then build a pneumatic cylinder out of those cheap plastic syringes you get for cough medicine.
Add a push rod at the end of the plunger and the rod should be long enough to extend past the tip. And of course slim enough for it to get through the hole.
>>
>>970902
Yeah, since it requires physical touch to push down the mechanical switch to start boiling.
You can control the power switch , but I can't think of mechanical switch replacement.
Advance circuit building with temperature sensor ( LM35) maybe can solve the mechanical issue. But will it be worth the time ?
>>
Well at least with my cheap-ass kettle you can press down the switch without power being plugged in. So you could probably add a remote/time controlled switch before that and make sure that the mechanical switch is pressed down when you fill it with water.
>>
>>970983
>Well at least with my cheap-ass kettle you can press down the switch without power being plugged in. So you could probably add a remote/time controlled switch before that and make sure that the mechanical switch is pressed down when you fill it with water.
Well you could probably avoid having to use a power relay entirely and just put in a little servo which flips the physical switch
>>
>>970542
When did kettles start having power switches? I'm thinking of a percolator (they don't work for tea though, will burn the shit out of it).

Just get a signal source + triac. Nothing fancy.
>>
Google for Arduino IoT.
>>
>>970542
>Nigger rig kettle swith so its jammed in on position.
>Use wifi adapter on power switch.
>Get to kettle before all your water evaporates.

Or you could do the logical thing and leave the kettle plugged in on your bedside table
>>
>>970542
Don't touch the temperature switch on the kettle, unless you are 100% confident in what you are doing you have a fairly good chance of burning your house down. What you want is a servo motor to turn on the switch on the kettle, controlled by something like an ESP8266 and/or possibly an Arduino.
>>
>>971963
Agree with you m8.
OP should go for this.
>>
File: fuc.png (447 KB, 516x526) Image search: [Google]
fuc.png
447 KB, 516x526
>>970542

> LE Internet of ThingsĀ© MEME
>>
>>970542
>mfw I have that exact one
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.