[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay so I want to make a propane gas forge for knife making,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: Gas_Forge_Burner_IMG_5978.jpg (50 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Gas_Forge_Burner_IMG_5978.jpg
50 KB, 800x600
Okay so I want to make a propane gas forge for knife making, recycling, and farrier work. I was hoping to make pic related then set them up to intersect rather than being parallel. Would this work or should I just buy some fire bricks to make a quasi forge to encase it? If heat loss is an issue then what if I substituted the propane for MAPP gas?
>>
File: simpleventuri.png (13 KB, 699x131) Image search: [Google]
simpleventuri.png
13 KB, 699x131
Here's an idea of the individual burners. Mine would have a perpendicular intersecting brass tube rather than one from behind. Mine would also have the air enter from behind rather than the sides.
>>
dont intersect them. instead set up a box structure with refractory kiln bricks, and they are wide enough apart that you'll heat a larger area evenly. will let you do a longer blade. Far more effective, since that'll let you do all of a largeish knife in one pass, instead of lots of little bitty steps which cause grain growth. Also makes it more consistent for heat-treat later on.
>>
>>969748
Go read some more. Enclosing it is not up for debate really, unless you have gas falling out of your ass do for cheap. Even so it's pointless to be that wasteful, not to mention your heats will be slower without. One would think if you had even a basic understanding of what you want to do you would know this. Don't hurt yourself man, fire is dangerous, in case you weren't aware.
>>
>>969792
I understand what you mean, and as a point of reference I should have stated that I had been using 2 MAPP torches to heat the metal previously. But thank you for the advice.
>>
>>969914
Sorry if it came off coarse, people on the internet make me nervous sometimes, like all the backyard smelters on YouTube. People are prone to being way overconfident in their abilities. Some things just need to be well researched so you don't have to learn so many lessons the hard way. Good luck and don't stop reading.
>>
File: yup.png (315 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
yup.png
315 KB, 500x350
>>969748
>propane
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.