[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I made pic related out of wood how much force do you think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2016-03-29-15-26-27.png (262 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-29-15-26-27.png
262 KB, 2560x1440
If I made pic related out of wood how much force do you think it could withstand? This piece is intended to slip over the clutch of a chainsaw then a 2" pulley will be mounted on the shaft. The intent is to drive a winch with it.
>>
I think you want to avoid wood for that type of thing. You run the risk of it either shattering, or breaking off where the smaller shaft meets the coupling
>>
>>969705
The dowl would be drilled flush with the underside and glued. not a butt joint.
>>
Is there only one type of wood in your universe, mr. smarty pants?
>>
>>969700
Made out of hard wood it might work a few times before cracking, but if you can make it out of wood then why wouldn't you make it out of aluminum or steel?

Chop a section of steel pipe and weld a bar across the top and then weld your shaft to the bar. Or pin the pipe to your shitty wood thing.

Also your winch has a reduction gear box?
>>
I think he is limited to tooling. Metal would be best regardless
>>
>>969700
Wood isn't the right thing to use, it'll break, no doubt.

Bit of a shot in the dark, but the shape you've drawn is very close to that of a holesaw...... is there something like that, that can be used?
>>
>>969700
have matthias wandel build it
>>
>>969804
>>969773
>>969705
shattering isnt the problem
fire is going to be the main killer, clutches get insanely hot when under stress
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.