[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to improve the efficiency and/or airflow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: fan.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
fan.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
What is the best way to improve the efficiency and/or airflow on one of these?
>>
>>969512
You know wind turbines can only ever be 50% efficient because they have to move air out of the way once its passed the blades.
It stands to reason that a fan should then be 150% efficient so I'd say its probably not going to get much better than that
>>
Replace the blade with an RC pusher prop
>>
>>969512
Up the voltage
>>
>>969535
Haha, this
>>
>>969512
Put a fan inside it to increase intake
>>
>>969512
>150% efficient
>>
>replace motor with radial 9 engine
>post results
>?????
>profit
>>
>>969512
you can't

get a bigger fan
>>
>>969604
This is the truth.

However in the meantime you can take it apart and oil the motor, these things seem to leave the factory with little or no lubrication of the moving parts, this is done to make them fail sooner rather than later forcing you into buying a new fan before you would otherwise need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXvNaOOBXek
>>
https://youtu.be/4q4PZpl59GU
>>
File: roundfans_242l442lk34.jpg (420 KB, 1890x956) Image search: [Google]
roundfans_242l442lk34.jpg
420 KB, 1890x956
>>969512
>What is the best way to improve the efficiency and/or airflow on one of these?
the best way to improve airflow of a fan is to put it in a circular shroud, to prevent blade-tip losses.

most industrial-quality fans are built like this; for example--you'd never see an industrial-quality fan set inside a box-shaped casing, as is common with household fans.

(pic related: almost all the axial fans in the first set of gugel results use round fan cases--none square, but there is one wire grill tho)
>>
>>969512
Use it outdoors with the wind.
>>
>>969512
Put a tube tunnel on the back of it. Convert it to DC.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
I have a desk fan, pic related but not mine.

It's very quiet on low though it does seem to have some kind of rattle. I've taken off the back shroud, the front guard, cleaned them, and sprayed wd-40 on some of the moving parts, but I couldn't get the blades off, as pulling does not seem to work. I actually did this mostly for cleaning as it sat unused in a back room somewhere for several years.

What's my best shot at eliminating this rattle?
>>
>>969512
>efficiency
can't.
>airflow
this
>>969535
>>
>>969584
>turn on fan
>it flies away
>>
put another one behind it, the artificial wind will make it go faster
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.