[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/repair/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8
File: DSC_0004.jpg (984 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004.jpg
984 KB, 2592x1944
Hello /diy/,
I want to repair my old desk plate. Despite, it's not a high quality desk, it was a long time companion and never disappointed me.
I think the plate is made of pressboard.

1) I plan to sand the surface with fine paper to get rid of the filth and the paint.
2) I want to fill the scratches and holes with putty.
3) I want to paint the plate in blue with acrylic lacquer. Is there a paint, which is better fitting for this work?
4) I want to instal a metallic edge protection over the broken one. I prefer a metallic one for asthetics, but I don't think there is one flexible enough to fit the shape. Do you have any suggestions?

It's the first time I try something like this.
I'm thankful for every help given.
>>
File: DSC_0006.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0006.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>
File: DSC_0008.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0008.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>
>>968979
Rot is wood cancer.
>>
>>968983
The plan is, to sand it away and then fill it up with putty.
I should have treat it better.
>>
>>968993
It's cool you're trying, but best tip i can give is to not waste your time on a old rotten peace of MDF.
Get a chunk of decent wood, something sexy like maple. And than just make a desk out of that
This Ikea garbage wont do for more than a year or two. It's frat-house and stepdad furniture.
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (978 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
978 KB, 2592x1944
>>969006
I don't like it too, but I don't have money to buy some good wood. So far, I just want too keep my old desk alive.

I sanded the plate and mixed the dust with clue and some water to get my own kit. I think it will take till tomorrow to harden cause it's under 10°C in my workshop.
If it's not good, I will buy a putty in a market.
>>
>>969006
>It's frat-house and stepdad furniture.
I'm a step dad and I use old ikea crap. I live in a college town so twice a year I see piles of broken mdf furniture out on the curb. If it's in good condition, like a student tried to move it but it disintegrated on them so they tossed it, I'll take the big pieces. As long as it's still square and flat I like to make jigs and sleds and stuff from it. I have a few desktops laying on the rafters for storage. One more big piece and I'll have enough to build a sealed pantry in the garage for kitchen overflow. I don't use it for furniture but it is still useful.

I've found that the secret to moving ikea crap like closets and dressers and shit is to wrap a ratchet strap around it and cinch it down tight. It'll keep it nice and square when you move it. It's the racking and twisting that makes the self-disassemble.
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (960 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
960 KB, 2592x1944
As I sanded the plate today, the selfmade putty made it's job okay, but not very good. So when I was at the market, i bought putty and paint.
I still don't know, what to use for the edge protection.
>>
File: DSC_0004a.jpg (651 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004a.jpg
651 KB, 1944x2592
>>969556
Additional, when I was at the market, I found this little Lithops and I could not resist to buy.
>pic related
>>
>>969557
Who else had to Google "Lithops" because they thought they were looking at a shitty homemade fleshlight?
>>
>>969579
Ive been to a garden store before. So ive seen them before. What youre seeing is just a normal biological pattern. Why is a soap bubble round? Kind of stuff.
>>
File: DSC_0002a.jpg (1018 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002a.jpg
1018 KB, 2592x1944
I'm kinda proud.
Doesn't seem so bad at all.
For the edge protection, I had the idea to take a plastic edge, make it warm and then try to fit the shape.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.