[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electric Furnace/Foundry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_1002.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1002.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Hey, I can't think of any way of getting this hotter without blowing circuit breakers...

I have 20A breakers and I am running 15 amps continuous. I don't have a heat gun so I haven't figured out a way to find out how hot this gets...

I'm just a little unsure how to get higher temps out of this.
>>
Need to know more than that... what kind of heating element are you using?
>>
>>968038
I just wrapped some kenthal wire and made a spring looking deal. It is 24 gauge runs about 1 ohm per linear foot, so I did about 9 foot worth to get about 15 amps in theory, it is probably less though with heating up and all the other factors
>>
File: IMG_1003.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1003.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hot enough to melt aluminum, but it takes forever to get there.
>>
>>968018
your element has like half the power of a britbong kettle, no wonder it's slow.

assuming you've got a good lid seal that doesn't let 99% of the heat leak out, more power is the entire answer.

if 110V is all you got you'll have to switch to a propane burner.
>>
>>968018
Wouldn't a Graphite crucible conduct?

Be careful you're not shorting across your wires.
>>
>>968018
Wouldn't this type of foundry be ridiculously expensive to operate?
Or are you not responsible for your electrical bill?
>>
get a coil element out of an electric stove, use insulating refractory, your refractory absorbs heat. and youcman even forge steel with it
>>
>>968138
At $0.08 per kWh it would cost around $0.13 an hour to operate based in the specs ops gave.

>>968018
Sadly at only about 1.6 kW of output it will take forever to heat things up.

Pottery kilns are usually 5 kW and up for a decent sized one.
>>
>>968018
Just build a gas foundry. I built one in 3 days out of an olf air compresser tank, some exhaust pipe and manifold, sand, kitty litter, 3 coffee cans, a shop vac, and some google.
>>
>>968018
You need to find a 220 volt outlet, like your washer or dryer and run it off that. You could hire an electrician to run another one into your workshop for like, $200 if you wanted to or diy from your main circuit breaker box.

Or buy a cheap-ass generator made for welding from Harbor Freight or something.
>>
File: corn-stove.jpg (22 KB, 192x240) Image search: [Google]
corn-stove.jpg
22 KB, 192x240
>>968250
>>968244
nah, he should built a corn furnace

does anyone have an idea of how hot corn burns?
>>
>>968018
nigger, a barbeque could do better than that
>>
>>968325
1200f? Hotter?
>>
>>968067
I specifically want an electric set up

>>968068
as far as I am aware, it has a low enough graphite content that is semi conductive and so I wear electrically insulated gloves

>>968138
Electricity is pretty cheap here, it isn't about the money it is about fun lol. Yes it is terribly inefficient.

>>968244
Good news though I got a few great melts out! But I did have to wait several hours for the heat to build up.

>>968268
I wish I had a 220 then I could pump some real power :D But I'd need to pay an electrician
to work the stuff out and well, kind of out of the question in my situation.

>>968327
>>968325
My old funace was briquette fueled.

Basically I hae done WVO, Propane, COAL, CHARCOAL etc, and I want electric because I hate dealing ith the fuel.

I think the answer is I need a 220 outlet and a proper kiln style foundry. But for now, this little one was good enough to fill that crucible right up with molten aluminum, but I don't think it'll do hotter metals like copper or brass...
>>
File: IMG_1005[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1005[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
12 muffins at about 10 ounces each that took all day yesterday to make lol
>>
File: IMG_1006[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1006[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Basically it takes a long time for me to prep the material for melt anyway because I am recycling an entire camper lol
>>
>>968458
>took all day
jesus

my propane furnace is pretty much like this one: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/bucketfurnace1.html except made in an old helium balloon tank

from cold to pouring is 10-15 mins ~3-4 lbs aluminum
>>
>>968461

I know, checmical energy furnaces put out way more energy than my set up.

I am hoping that when I move in about a year that I can get a garage with 220 hooked up. Alternatively when I move I'll have one wired.

I really want electricity. You have no idea how nice and quiet and nice it is. After having all the hassle with fuel and the loud air blowers and shit, I am super happy with electric even if it is super slow. I haev it running right now this morning again,
>>
File: oilburner.png (42 KB, 1160x593) Image search: [Google]
oilburner.png
42 KB, 1160x593
maked this crappy paint drawing but wy dont you use a oilburner like pic releated
you can use old frying oil, wasteoil
>>
>>968703
because if you read, I have tried it, I want electric
>>
Well, the way I see it, you're pretty much screwed as far as gaining more wattage. So all that's left is to make the best of what power you've got. That means insulation and patience. Maybe try putting the whole thing in a big clay pot with an air gap packed with a few layers of aluminum foil, and then wrapping the outside of that with fiberglass.
>>968058
>but it takes forever to get there.
I don't think there's anything you can do about that, except maybe using smaller quantities.
>>
>>968018
You would have an easier time just using propane and forced air or charcoal even better real coal and forced air. Could melt steel and iron, brass, copper, etc
>>
>>968018
get another 120v circuit so you split the load between the breakers
>>
>>968737
just keep the two separate on the forge, this will easily 4x the speed of your setup, also try a curved hood for the lid(inward) reduces internal area to heat and bounces back heat better.

That and get a metal shredder device/scrapper rented to break that shit up into little bits. MUCH FASTER. Like fraying wood for starting/building fires.
>>
and why are we melting aluminum?
>>
>>968150
appliance repair fag here...

this... but look for a scrapped electric convection oven... they'll have a 3rd element wrapped around the fan in the back of the oven compartment... it would fit about perfect around your crucible... could stack 2 for good effect.....

not all convection ovens have the ring element... so you have to pop the cover off the fan.. however any that have it should be easy to remove... just don't crack the element... or alternatively if you don't have a cheap plentiful source of junked appliances you could just order 2... they're pretty cheap actually...

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Convection-Element/MEE32902203/2296243?ss=i1221&mr=0
>>
>>968067

He probably should switch to a propane burner, propane is practically free.
>>
Go induction furnace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiYnDskFxTo
>>
>>968457
Real electric furnaces that melt scrap don't use heating elements. They are eletric arc furnaces.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.