[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Installing Door Casing - WTF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160325_204721.jpg (698 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160325_204721.jpg
698 KB, 2448x2448
Halp /diy/. I was trying to install new door casings and while driving a nail in to the first plinth, it split in half about a 1/4" from where the nail was. Did I do something wrong? Are the nails too thick? Is it just because they're cheap and made of pine?
>>
File: IMG_20160325_205306.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160325_205306.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>967688
I had sanded down the area where caulk and paint had built up over the old casings, and repaired the area with spackle and sanded it flat.
>>
File: IMG_20160325_205539.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160325_205539.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>967690
>>
Pretty normal. The old trick is to predrill a pilot hole or tap the point of a nail with a hammer to blunt it slightly.

When you hammer a sharp pointed nail into wood it forces the fibres apart causing it to split. blunting the nail causes it to break the fibres as it goes in.

I prefer predrilling myself as it gurantees no splitting.
>>
>>967692
ty anon. Is this still nesseccary if you borrow a nail gun? I have one I could borrow for a little while this weekend.
>>
>>967692
And do I need to drill only through the plinth or the door frame as well?
>>
>>967696
I usually go the full depth of the drill which took me into the frame.
>>
>>967801
Oh and I use a bit roughly half the diameter of the nail. It doesn't seem to be critical.
>>
>>967802
ty anon
>>
>>967659
Depends on the nail gun. If it's a Brad nailer I wouldn't expect it to splinter like that, and lining up a nail gun over a small pilot hole hole might be like the first time I got laid and I happened to be drunk.

If it's a large framing nailer though that might be your issue, might be overkill. If it's pneumatic you may be able to roll back a pressure regulator and it MAY help. Drawback to firing at a lower pressure is the nail might not seat itself fully. The hardest part of nailing is setting the nail and lining up the piece, driving it home is cake if you didn't get greedy with the chromosomes when you were still in womb.

Honestly, hate to say it but you might have to do it the old fashioned way, which socks if you have a tool capable of doing the job, but if the work looks better you won't regret the extra work after its over.
>>
>>968019
ty anon.
>>
>>968019
with a brad nailer it usually wont deform the casing at all . Shit op wouldnt even have to predrill. Its pine not maple.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.