[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What am I doing wrong here? I'm trying to change my 4 prong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 20160325_110454.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160325_110454.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
What am I doing wrong here? I'm trying to change my 4 prong dryer cord to a 3 prong cord but it does not seem to work. Am I connecting these correctly?
>>
Looks right. What seems to be the issue? Did you check voltage at the outlet,
>>
File: Snapchat-20150122040922.jpg (179 KB, 720x1184) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-20150122040922.jpg
179 KB, 720x1184
>>967415
I've done the same thing, looks right... Breaker tripped?
>>
>>967759
So, you have a ground. Why are you only using a 3 wire cord?

Anyway, I think you swapped a hot and a neutral. Might be your 'outlet' or whatever that cluster fuck is called is mis-wired. Get a cheap multimeter and test it.
>>
>>967415
>>967759
Are these either end of the same connection??

At the appliance there is red and black I assume is phase and neutral and the middle is bonded to the case so I hope to fuck that is supposed to be earth.
At the other end it's connected to two ' phases' and neutral. If I was a breaker I wouldn't be happy either.

Also there is far too much conductor on show at the appliance, the cable only has a layer of insulation, no sheath? And it feeds through a metal stamped hole with no protective grommet.
Nowhere is there any form of strain relief or mechanical protection. At the feed end the cable is allowed to dangle with no bend radius protection.

An absolute embarrassment in all
>>
File: zz.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
zz.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>967759
Dude. That is so fucking wrong I don't even know where to begin.
The gray cable is supposed to connected to a plug and have some sort of connector on it.

That outlet housing is supposed to be covered. And don't tell me you do cover it because there's no way a cover is fitting on there right with the cord just thrown in like that.

Fuck dude. Hang it up. Call an electrician. That is a major fucking hazard.

And if you know what's good for you, never touch electric again.
>>
>>967454
>>967415
Also put a connecter in that hole.
>>
>>968034
>connecter

bushing
>>
File: JuniorElectrician.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
JuniorElectrician.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>967759
>>
>>967795
>Also there is far too much conductor on show at the appliance
Surely it's obvious that this is behind a panel that's been removed for photographic reasons?

What are you suggesting OP do, recrimp factory-crimped ends just to make an internal connection look prettier?
>>
>>968032
this.

also check the breaker
>>
>>968143
Ok I didn't see they were crimped I'm sorry I should have looked closer
>>
>>967759
>snapchat

rip nice knowing you
>>
>>967795
what this guy said
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.