[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK THESE THINGS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16
FUCK THESE THINGS
>>
Pleb.
>>
Don't you mean "SCREW THESE THINGS"?
>>
>>966435
hex 10-32nf master race.
>>
File: agrias.jpg (237 KB, 1000x1420) Image search: [Google]
agrias.jpg
237 KB, 1000x1420
I had to replace one of those ceiling-mounted heaters in a bathroom the other day, and I only had flat head screws to work with. Not only that, but the heads of those screws were just big enough so that they couldn't fit the larger opening in the heater where you mount it, before turning it to lock the heater in place. It was virtually impossible to put the flat head screw through both the hole in the heater and the hole in the mount at once because your other hand couldn't fit inside the heater to prevent the screw from wiggling to the side and falling off.

I wound up cheating by filing the heads of the screws down until they were hexagonal shaped and using a socket and socket wrench adapter so I wouldn't have to worry about the screw wiggling or moving.
>>
File: nlc010221-v6.jpg (68 KB, 600x363) Image search: [Google]
nlc010221-v6.jpg
68 KB, 600x363
Robertson screw master race!
OH CANADA!!!!
>>
>>966472
I came into this thread to post this. And even on this hella slow board you beat me to it.
>>
>>966542
I am a California and i fuckin love these. These and security torx.
>>
>>966542
Betcha archimedian screws would never effing strip out
>>
>>966542
came to post this
>>
>>966435

I use those at work on concrete equiptment because you can clean the heads out easy.

Its the *omly* legitimate use Ive ever found for slot heads.
>>
>>966435
Stupid nignog. its because you keep using the wrong screw driver!!!! quit trying to use a screwdriver with the bit that only slots in half of the screw your undoing. or for tiny screws. bits that don't seat all the way to the bottom.

its like retards who complain about hex, while using imperial hex set on a metric bolt. just makes me angry.
>>
>>966652
This. If I'm doing anything I care about I make sure I actually have the correct screw driver.
If you're using the right straight screwdriver with a hollow grind, it holds the screw itself and you can put lots of torque on it.
>>
File: security phillips.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
security phillips.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
What hath God wrought?
>>
>>966666
Security Phillips head.
>>
>>966666
dem numbers doe.

Funny you mention phillips. on china/Japanese made motorcycles and im sure other products, there's something called a JIS screwdriver. its basically gonna be all the phillips head screws on the bike/product. and lots of people don't know its a completely different design from the american phillips and always fuck up the heads by rounding them out because the american phillips is more beefy with a shallower point. while the Japanese standard is skinnier with a deeper point.

If you work with computer parts and such that come from japan/china. or anything of that matter. pick up a JIS screwdriver set. you'd be amazed on the difference it makes
>>
It's like you guys aren't even trying
>>
>>966435
DIN963 and by the coloring I would go with A2 or A4
>>966666
Demonic DIN7985

thank the gods im getting a new job
>>
>>966542
In California
Buy playhouse for grandkids
Read through instructions for assembly
Every fucking screw is Robertson
Check box - Made in Canada
>>
>>966843
>every screw Robertson

Dream world mate.
>>
>>966798
>using the threaded jew
Phillips master race, cam-out is a feature not a bug.
>>
I don't get these /diy/ arguments about screw heads. In 99% of the cases when screws are used all that matters is what tools the handyman that will inevitably come to dismantle/repair the structure or device will have with him. Success is measured by spread and popularity, which makes the basic flat and philips heads the best fit for most jobs. At the end of the day, a screw is a screw, if it's deep in the material and has good hold it doesn't matter how you got it in. It's like arguing about chef knife handles.
>>
>>967258
yeah well its a real shitty feature
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 466x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 466x311
Only people who don't know how to use tools hate slotted screws.
>>
>>967350
>have to remove a shitload of slotted fuckers
>bit in the drill keeps flying out the sides
Hate this shit
>>
>>967350

Slotted are nice when you have one or two screws to adjust by hand that require high force.

If you have 200 to drive then you might as well spend the extra $2 on anything else you can just jam in with a driver.
>>
>>967354
Slow your speed, increase your torque, use a better fitting slotted bit. Don't use an impact driver.
>>
>>967361
>Don't use an impact driver.
fool he is the one who use impact driver.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 450x450
>>967393
If it's truly seized a hand impact driver is your friend.
>>
File: improved slotted.png (24 KB, 811x448) Image search: [Google]
improved slotted.png
24 KB, 811x448
>>
>>967435
it'll never happen. manufacture cost would be too hight, tolerances would have to be too tight, people have to use flatheads that fit perfectly, gunk junk and corrosion will collect inside and be impossible to scrape out, etc.

it might be broke anon, but this don't fix it
>>
>>967426
That's the only tool you can use to change the lower unit gear oil on an outboard. Rediculous design.
>>
File: SOCKET-HEAD-CAP-SCREWS.jpg (58 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
SOCKET-HEAD-CAP-SCREWS.jpg
58 KB, 420x300
Why's there never any love for hex cap-head bolts in these threads?

>6 angles to get at
>easy to get at with low clearance
>driver wont fall out
>intuitively torque to the right amount
>>
>>967444
i love these things. i also find them to be quite handsome and i use them in a variety of builds
>>
>>967438
All these problems would also afflict Philips, Pozidriv, etc. no?

Yet it's possible to manufacture Pozidriv screws.
>>
>>967444
i think the thread is mostly about woodscrews ever seen one with hex cap head?
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 320x197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 320x197
>>967438
It sort of exists. They're calls "hi-torque" screws.
>>
>>967455
The bits look like this.

As with many drive styles they don't really exist outside of aerospace.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 275x183
>>967457
>>
i think there to much different brands and sorts of screw heads why cant the us and Europe make a globally harmonized screw system
>>
>>967439

Except I have only ever seen one hand impact in my life and it was on the shelf of some store selling tools that was 20 year old and I have been changing outboard gear oil my whole life?
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>967463
>>967463
>I have been changing outboard gear oil my whole life

Are you popeye? Granted mine is a 1965 Evinrude. Fucker just doesn't like to cooperate.
>>
>>967444
fuck those things, so fucking easy to strip. whoever thought they were a good idea should be shot and pissed on
>>
>>967496
>fuck these things, so fucking easy to bend. whoever thought they were a good idea should be shot and pissed on
this is what you sound like
>>
>>967463
i got one with a set of impact sockets. took me a bit to figure out what the fuck it was

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-impact-socket-set-49-pcs-0589146p.html#.VvWNF-IrKUk
>>
>>967496
Well when you use the wrong size hex key yeah they blow.
>>
>>967502
nah my ATV uses them on the calipers which the factory puts lock tight on. second you touch em they strip
>>
>>966474
>imperial threads
>master race
pick one
>>
>>967505
Let me guess, a chinese made atv with 4.4 quality bolts?
>>
>>967439
coin in a socket.

>>967505
>not heating loctited bolts
baka
>>
>>966843

And? if you don't have a driver kit with interchangable bits and the 3 sizes of Robertson screw in them , you're an idiot.

The only reason Philips is used in the US and Robertson is used in Canada is because Philips was in use before the clearly superior Robertson came along, and in the US Robertson couldn't muscle in a usable patent.
>>
>>967258
Cam out so unskilled labour can't over torque.
>unskilled
>>
>>967505
Lol dude my Kawasaki road bike is pretty much assembled with hex head. Don't be a grub and use the right size driver.
>>
>>969015
And something like Bondhus keys will have a much tighter fit and are made harder than $1 keys from harbor freight.
>>
>>969026
THIS 16$ and you got some decent keys, you don't need to shill out millions for tools just get the decent stuff, and if its worn get a new set and bin the old. Especially when you want to transfer torque from one shaft to another.
>>
>>968972
>clearly superior
>so superior that despite the entire world having known about it for half a century, it's only used in one single country, itself smaller than Tokyo.
>meanwhile, in entire-rest-of-world, philips has been replaced with allen, torx and pozidriv
>>
>>969040
>Allen
>>
>>969040
He didn't say superior to hex, torx, or pozidriv, he said superior to phillips, and if you think phillips > robertson you're just beyond help, you've clearly never used either one.
>>
>>969067
The only reason I don't love Pozidrive is plebs are unable to identify them and thus strip them out with Phillips tip. But hey use the right bit and they're great.

Torx is fine but I dislike how loose they sit. If Torx had a tight fit like Robertson they'd be godly.

Hex is cool but poor manufacturing tolerances combined with weak steels make them strip city.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 600x600
Gotta get that Wera Lasertip.
>>
>>969067
If it was so "clearly superior" it would have supplanted any drive in any market ever, like every modern drive did.

If we accept for sake of argument that it's superior, it's done a terrible job at the "clearly".
>>
>>969095
The patent was owned by a tightwad who didn't want to get Jew'd over by Ford.

It DID become universal in Canada. It's also the most common drive in mobile home/trailer construction, electrical, cabinetry, furniture carpentry, and decking.
>>
>>969040
>Canada smaller than Tokyo

Top kek mate.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 601x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 601x339
>>969099
>35 smaller than 36
I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>969091
>implying this will perform any better
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.