[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so , i just recently got an appartment . but my shower is cold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: 1449501926242.jpg (77 KB, 1187x702) Image search: [Google]
1449501926242.jpg
77 KB, 1187x702
so , i just recently got an appartment .
but my shower is cold as fuck . the tiles are freezing .

so i want to ask , what can i do about it , to get rid of that cold.

i do have a little warmheater hanging on the wall , but that doesnt do shit.
its still cold as fuck. am not used to cold.
>>
>>965858
Get in the shower and run the hot water.
>>
>>965872
i do that , but only a part will warm up .
isnt there something like a cover people do in showers ?
am new to this , first crib .
>>
>>965858
Either get some tiles that absorb and conduct heat poorly or cover the tiles with something that conducts heat poorly, like a rubber mat. As simple as that.
Your other options involve using energy to heat them.
>>
Take a shower with your toaster.
>>
>>965858
why is your apartment not heated, turn on the heater
>>
>>965858
nicer (US) houses have a 250w heat lamp above the shower entrance area, so that when you get out you don't get chilled (if the light is on, that is)
>>
File: radiant-floor-heat-wiring[1].jpg (93 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
radiant-floor-heat-wiring[1].jpg
93 KB, 425x282
>>965909
>nicer (US) houses have a 250w heat lamp above the shower

Um .. I only see that in 70's houses that haven't been remodeled. Nicer houses have radiant heat under the floor.
>>
>>965953
This. Nice feature, but they removed our fucking exhaust fan to install it. Newer 'nice' homes have led lighting.
>>
>>965953
Also,
>that pic
>ow, my wallet
>>
File: 1455912640771.jpg (96 KB, 1009x810) Image search: [Google]
1455912640771.jpg
96 KB, 1009x810
Did you check your bathroom to see if it has an air duct? Did you check to see if it was open and not closed?

Last place it got my roommate had a space heater for half the winter because the jackass never checked his duct to see if it was open so the room never got heat.
>>
>>965858
-Put down a soft bathroom carpet
-Wear a bathrobe
-Use decent heathing
-Dont expect a fucking bathroom to be self heathing.. its a bathroom
>>
>>965953
Jesus I hope there aren't too many homes in America with underfloor heating in the bathroom, shit is pointless, you spend a tiny amount of time in your bathroom, not enough time to spend the time and energy heating it. Such a waste of energy.

>>965858
Just man the fuck up and be cold for a minute, who cares if you're cold while you dry yourself.
>>
>>966063
Ever heard of heated towel racks? From what I under stand both technologies originated in Europe.
>>
>>966075
I'm from Australia, we don't really have to deal with this stuff.
>>
>>965858
I've had my water heater turned off for years now. I just wet down in the shower, turn it off, soap up a good lather all over my body, shower off the suds. I use at most, 2.5 gallons of water during the entire process and barely get cold at all. I even have the window open a crack year round and the bathroom itself is unheated even in winter.

Put a fluffy mat down on the floor, that will help. Get fluffier towels for drying off. Get a nice lush bathrobe and some bunny slippers. Drink a hot beverage before/during your bathroom time.
>>
>>966063
>Americans
>you spend a tiny amount of time in your bathroom

Holy shit, my exgf would spend up to an hour in the bathroom primping on days she wasn't going to work.
>>
>>966083
Exactly, compared to the amount of time spent in the bedroom/living room (though a bedroom isn't worth underfloor heating either, unless you spend your days in there) even if you spend an hour getting ready in the morning, that's 1/24th of your day, you can be a little cold for an hour, as someone else mentioned, get a bath robe, some bath mats, all you need.
>>
>>965953
is that floor made of legos?
>>
>>966091
Pretty much, just plastic plates designed to hold the heating piping in place.
>>
>>966063
>America
>Such a waste of energy
implying we care
this is the land of $1.50 usd per gallon of gas, lifted trucks, and leaving stadium lights on every day of the year.
were rolling in energy.
>>
>>966594
>we're rolling in energy

Yeah and while the rest of the world is developing solar technology, insulating properly, creating new sustainable construction materials and becoming energy efficient in home design, America is still building wooden homes and just compensate with more air-conditioning and heating. The whole world is smacking their forehead and laughing at you, how does it feel to be the spoilt child of the world?
>>
>>966596
Uh. Nice strawman bro?

Most US building code recommends 2' of insulation in attics and 6"-1' in floors.

It's pretty good actually?

New sustainable construction materials? Like wood? I hear that stuff grows on trees.
>>
>>966667
>having a standard based on thickness of insulation and not an R value

Exactly, technically air is insulation, you could have 6 inches of air and fulfil that requirement.

And I bet all those wood panel homes are coming from renewable forests right? and they last for ages yeah? You ever heard of embodied energy?
>>
>>966090
>you can be a little cold for an hour

Have you ever met a woman?
>>
do you have a radiator or heated towel rail?

If not how do you dry your towels?

I think we need to see some pics of your shower room, with you in the shower or not.
>>
>>966861
>implying OP or anyone in this thread is a woman.
>>
>>965962
It's not that expensive when you consider that it can replace HVAC entirely in cold to mild climates and it's cheaper to run than HVAC. Radiant heating is cheaper longterm, especially if you already have a solar water heating system to heat it.
>>
>>966596
>hows it feel
when you are balls deep in 12 different energy sources you don't care what other people think.
when we run out of petroleum well just turn Arizona or Nevada into a solar panel. the whole damn state.. nothing but solar panels. it will be glorious and our only regret will be that we wont have the sound of a v8.
>>
>>966713
>not an R value
the insulation is rated with an r value..
also what do you think american homes are? like a single sheet of wood?
a large tree fell on our house an we didn't even know it until a neighbor called us like half a day later. the only damage done was the gutter got fucked up.
>>
>>966713
I didn't give an r value because you seemed mentally handicapped so I didn't want to complicate it. Spa recommends r-60 for most attics in most climate zones.

>le American stick house meme
I swear to god eurocucks are retarded. They see some tornado or fire damage and think it's just some wind or a normal building fire. No. It's not. Some years almost the entire state of California burns down. We have our forests specially packed so they are hot enough to melt steal beams vecause of conservationists.Tornados are not just high winds.
>>
>>966968
Oct 23 to December 5th.

This is how we wildfire in murrica. Fug your shit.
>>
File: Wind_shifts.jpg (66 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
Wind_shifts.jpg
66 KB, 540x405
>>966983
Fug
>>
>>965858
Take the regulator off. Jesus.
>>
>>966713
>And I bet all those wood panel homes are coming from renewable forests right?

...US domestic forestry IS renewable and has been for quite a while...
>>
>>966998
>US domestic forestry IS renewable and has been for quite a while...

And its the reason reclaimed wood is such a hot commodity. Building lumber on the west coast is pine and spruce. 100 years ago it was whatever grew locally and usually old growth. Dem boards are nothing like todays boards.
>>
>>967015
They're also filled with Arsenic, Copper, and Chromium(6).

No shit they're still around, anything that fucks with those boards dies, including you.
>>
>>966985
>>966983
>ameriblubbers unironically think their pathetic fires are dangerous

Top lel m8 stay cucked to the Big Aussie Eucalypt

This is the smoke from a single days fire, get on our level scrub.
>>
File: tumblr_lq8lihZino1qzma4ho1_500.jpg (25 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lq8lihZino1qzma4ho1_500.jpg
25 KB, 500x245
>>967126
Whoa whoa whoa.
I ain't starting shit with aus.

Also pls take your opossum back
>>
File: 2iw700.png (707 KB, 597x790) Image search: [Google]
2iw700.png
707 KB, 597x790
>>967135
keckle
>>
>>967135
Ours can be pretty awful too. When the baby gets old enough they fight the mother for the territory and it sounds like hell itself.

Although there was one behind my old workplace that was exceedingly friendly. Even let us touch it while it was carrying a baby. We used to give it bread soaked in beer though, so that might be why.
>>
Buy a bathrobe or learn how to install UV lamps.
>>
File: 29UP-Greenstone-master675.jpg (54 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
29UP-Greenstone-master675.jpg
54 KB, 675x450
>>966596
>Coal master race.

When Hussein is out of office, coal can get off life support and electric can get even cheaper.
>>
>>967151
what would it take to light that all on fire?
like, if someone were to flick a cigarette butt in there would it all go up after the first coal catches fire?
>>
>>966968
>implying I'm European

It's always funny watching you idiots jump to conclusions.
>>
>>967169
Maybe throwing down a torch would do it, I don't think a match would be hot enough to get it going. Also, I'm not sure if coal burns very well on its own, the coal plants powder it and ignite it in air.
>>
>>966596
I don't understand this wood house meme. In the US even homes made with wooden frames are insulated with fiberglass or foam insulation. Being made with wood frames makes literally no difference except for how fire retardant the house is, which if made properly, still makes no difference. It's not like we live in the 50s where people used wood siding and balloon construction to keep the house cool in summer.
>>
>>967227
It's not the wooden frames, it's the wood panelling people hate. A wood framed house is better in a fire than a steel frames house. Steel weakens as it's temperature rises and is more conductive of heat to spread it out more, causing it to collapse faster, a wood framed house will last longer
>>
>>967216
Lol sure thing buddy. Keep pretending.
>>
>>965858
If you have a single handle valve you can take the handle off to get to the adjustment gear inside and crank up the hot water.
>>
>>967169
Don't tempt fate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire
>>
>>965894
Kek
>>
>>965953
>Um .. I only see that in 70's houses that haven't been remodeled. Nicer houses have radiant heat under the floor.
yea but no.
radiant flooring doesn't help the problem of being chilly when stepping out of a shower ...

of course--OP did ask how to heat the *tiles*, which is kinda unproductive. The ceiling IR lamps are -radiant- heaters that would heat the *person*, which is what he prolly really wants. It would be rather silly (and expensive) to just keep the bathroom heated twenty degrees F above the rest of the house....

OP's "heater hanging on the wall" may be a forced-air type, and that would be why it doesn't do shit. A brood lamp would help, and is cheap and easy to use.... Where is OP located in the world, anyway? A pic of the bathroom might help too.

also radiant flooring isn't very popular at all where I am (central US). I don't know the reasons why. Very few homes have it--even new homes costing $300K. (where I am, $300K gets you a BIG house, but still not really a mansion)
>>
>>967611
Yea I know about that fire. I just mean they always leave an assload of coal out everwhere.
Im in a coal mining state and I see this shit left and right.. That aerial picture just got me thinking, what if someone came up to the fence and threw their cigarette in there, or some asshole threw it out of his car window and it blew into that.
>>
OP here ,

i found a solution to that freaking cold floor block.
i found a foam mat with holes in it .
it is for bathroom , found them in different colors.
it is selling by meters.

example.

http://furniture.toreuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/PVC-Anti-Slip-Mat-Panda-6040-.jpg
>>
http://g02.s.alicdn.com/kf/HT1LFz0FSpXXXagOFbXv/201485006/HT1LFz0FSpXXXagOFbXv.jpg
>>
Not using bathroom rugs. The fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>969222
bathroom rugs just get wet/pissed on and then they stink. let the water drip on the floor and evaporate by itself. Afraid of slipping? Dont be a bitch.
>>
>>969282
What kind of animal are you? Bathroom rugs are great. Like everything in your house they need occasional cleaning. I throw mine in the laundry every week or so. If you are constantly pissing all over yours then you're pissing all over the floor anyways. Stop pissing on the floor like a Neanderthal.

Don't get the rugs with the rubber backing. The rubber deteriorates and becomes a mess.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.