[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can anyone recommend me of any DYI humane mousetrap?, anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: mouse.jpg (170 KB, 1407x931) Image search: [Google]
mouse.jpg
170 KB, 1407x931
can anyone recommend me of any DYI humane mousetrap?, anything that is small or that contains bottles will do, would be very appreciated!
>>
*DIY, by the way, i am not gonna toss them in the back yard later on for them to come back incase you are wondering, I will euthanize them using vinegar and baking soda and throw them in the toilet after i make sure they are dead, most of the diy bottle traps i tried didn't work, so i thought maybe a few guys here have a smart idea
>>
>>965311
these are the tits: http://www.amazon.com/Mice-Cube-Pk-Reusable-Humane/dp/B000WB13QC

though I don't see the point in being humane if you're going to kill them anyway.....I guess one could attach a hose to an exhaust pipe and give them CO poisoning
>>
Mattias Wandel has a nice video on mousetraps.
>>
Don't use carbon dioxide, nothing humane about it. When you hold your breath and feel the urge to breathe, you're not feeling oxygen level decreasing, you're feeling the rising level of CO2 in your blood and the accompanying acidity rise. So drowning them in CO2 will still give them the agonizing feeling of suffocating. Use something that isn't oxygen or carbon dioxide (nitrogen, sulphur hexafluoride, helium).
>>
>>965317
You're going to sacrifice them to a volcano? Why humanely catch them if you're going to just murder them? Release them a few miles away from your shack and close off any entrances.
>>
File: cute-mouse-picture-600x450[1].jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
cute-mouse-picture-600x450[1].jpg
38 KB, 600x450
>humane
>so can vinegar n baking soda euthanamatize.

The fuck, you gonna drown them in vinegar, then batter em to kill with a baking soda bottle? Trap be more humane, its at least quick and (by the sounds of it) sight more stress-free allround, unless you some kind of Mickey sadist.
>>
File: 1446143938635.jpg (33 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
1446143938635.jpg
33 KB, 453x500
You're capturing them alive just to watch them suffocate later?

Props to you OP, that's some stone cold shit.
>>
I use sticky mouse traps then drop a cinder block on them.

I figure its one very quick and painfull way to go.

Altho the sticky traps really fuck them up bad from them trying to squirm around.
>>
>>965311
had a mouse problem for a while. Tried the bottle trap thing too cause I was being a pussy with a weak heart..
Let me tell this, you the sound of a real mousetrap slamming shut on the little piece of shit is the most satisfying thing I've heard in a while.
>>
Most humane thing would be to use a lethal one.
>>
>>965311
>reccomend a DYI humane mouse trap
-I will euthanize them

What the fuck.
>>
>>965311

First off dont bother humanly catching them to kill them get snap traps they die instantly.

Second dont make your own trap Uline has some nice ones for like 15 that work well and even catch multiple mice is a setting.

Then seal your fucking house up somehow with caught sealant whatever. (tip mice can chew through most shit use Brillo for small holes to stop them.)

Then just release them a little away from the house.

>>965423
Hes going to do it in the middle of the open so the other mice see and self deport.
>>
File: User-Experience-vs-Design.png (2 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
User-Experience-vs-Design.png
2 MB, 900x900
>>965789
also learn about desire paths. become the mouse. dont just put cheese on the traps and put them wherever expecting the mouse to come out and eat it. it already has food. that's why its built a little rodent condo in your house. find a patch of droppings, a hole it has made, check around the water heater, dish washer. mice love those warm places. now try to work out where it likes to walk. now shove objects in the path until there is a neat little spot where the mouse will think its easy to just go through. now place the trap in that path. the mouse will try to walk through it. I dont even use bait. motherfuckers.
>>
>>965311
>humane mousetrap
>gonna torture them to death later

kill yourself too op
>>
If you want them alive, use this trick I post often that nobody ever uses:

Get a big bag of doritos or cheetos,. Big ass bag.

Eat them all.

Leave empty bag in area mouse frequents.

Browse 4chan on phone away from bag.

When you hear the crinkling of the bag, calmly walk over and pick it up with mouse inside.
>>
>>966191
I've actually done this in college. Just playing poker online with a small bag of Doritos by my feet. Hear crinkling. Pick up bag and release mouse outside
>>
why not just build a cool playground cage for them and have them as pets?
>>
-OP get yourself a bucket.
-tie/lash/tape a bigass piece of paper over the top
-cut slits in it to make flaps that act as a trap door
-put bait on or over the flaps
-make sure mousey can easily get onto the top of the bucket
-mousey will fall through the flaps and be trapped

now keep in mind mouses can do supermouse things when under stress - including lunge back out of the bucket. so make sure it's deep enough and has smooth walls. the original recipe calls for filling the bucket partially with water so the little nignog drowns.

i've done this lots of times with complete and utter success
>>
This looks like a really good one.
http://youtu.be/QDgAuVK1Br0
Have fun OP.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ
>>
>>965311
>>965370

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PaGvAhV9I
>>
>>966571
this works good.. CHECK THE BUCKET EVERY DAY

good god bloated rotten mice corpses smell so goddamned bad
>>
>make a little set of stairs leading up to a bucket
>seeds going up the stairs and a pile in the bucket
Can't tell you how many hamsters I've caught
>>
>>965311
I have has some experiance with this

A. tip mouse traps
tube bent at 30 degrees in the middle, when the mouse goes to the back it tips over and locks
have to check them daily

B. regular old mouse traps
most often a quick death, or instant death.
don't have to check them daily

C. bucket type trap
you rig a paint roller to a bucket so it hangs over it, put food on the end of the roller
mice run onto it to get the food, and invariably fall in
great for catching hundreds of mice at once
have to check daily

the real issue is that if you catch them alive, are you really going to be able to kill them more humanely than a old fashioned mousetrap would do?

I've killed 40 gal drums full of mice with wrecking hammers, drowned them, poisoned them, I've asphyxiated them, killed them with knives, stood on them etc etc

if you want a humane kill use a tipping trap then drop them in an airtight container with some food and water will they die

but I'd rather use a normal trap myself then set up some kind of mouse auchutz
>>
>>967247
And you totally missed "mouseschwitz" there anon... It was in the open, right there for you, you had one job!
>>
>>967247
Who said you need to kill them after trapping them? Just go for a drive and release them
>>
File: 136654912010.gif (986 KB, 350x237) Image search: [Google]
136654912010.gif
986 KB, 350x237
>>967247
>I've killed 40 gal drums full of mice with wrecking hammers, drowned them, poisoned them, I've asphyxiated them, killed them with knives, stood on them etc

Edgy McEdgelord. Going out of your way to find new ways to kill mice when just one would suffice.

OP, don't be a faggot. Caught them humanely? Take them out to a field and let them go so birds and wildlife will inevitably have a chance to feed their babies. Want to eventually kill them? Get a snap trap that kills instantly. BTW, a small box with a spring-loaded door connected to a latch is very cheap and very effective.
>>
>>967269
fuck hahaha

>>967271
they tend to multiply when released
they eat native animals eggs and will just end up in someone elses house

>>967278
we actually get plagues of rats that eat loose or poorly stored grain
I'm talking tens of thousands, it's a real issue

and I don't go out of my way to kill them, litterally the opposite
>walking
>see a mouse
>stand on it

>eating lunch
>see mouse
>stab it

mostly we poison them, generally the drum method is used immediately because we can set it up before the exterminator gets in
>>
>>967269
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQCRhE4rH-g

new I had heard that somewhere
>>
>>965311
OP, kill them any way you want. They're mice, there are six bazillion of them on the planet, and if you killed half of them they'd be right back to record numbers in a month. A mouse is never going to find a cure for cancer or win a Nobel Peace Prize; you're not going to hell for killing mice. Do it fast and clean, don't make them suffer, THAT would be "edgy," cruel and sadistic. They are pests, they can carry disease, you don't want you or your family getting hanta virus or the bubonic plague (yes, it's still out there and mice carry it). Don't get all weird about being the Dr. Mengele of mice and shit, just kill the ones that are infesting you and don't let these city dwelling tree huggers give you a complex.
>>
File: 32823874347492.gif (2 MB, 332x289) Image search: [Google]
32823874347492.gif
2 MB, 332x289
>>967286
>They're mice, there are six bazillion of them on the planet, and if you killed half of them they'd be right back to record numbers in a month.
You could say the same about human beings.
>A mouse is never going to find a cure for cancer or win a Nobel Peace Prize;
Neither would most human beings.
>you're not going to hell for killing mice.
Neither would you for killing human beings.
>They are pests, they can carry disease,
So are human beings.

Double standards are funny that way; you'd have no problem making this exact argument about immigrants, homosexuals, basically any group or culture - hell, I'd make that argument about human society. Just kill the ones making your life uncomfortable so long as there's no legal repercussions.

Fuck off. OP, just take the mice you catch and release them in the wild far away from your home. Barn owls need to eat, too.
>>
File: hampture.png (323 KB, 549x400) Image search: [Google]
hampture.png
323 KB, 549x400
>>965311

I recommend rather than killing them that you build them an underwater city where the best and brightest of mice who had what it took to infiltrate your home can be free from the parasitism of lesser mice
>>
>>967297
Also plasmids.
>>
>>965311
he soda can bucket thing.
easy as fuck.
>>
>>967289
only you're ignoring the problem of colony collapse. killing half the humans would make infrastructure and industry economically unviable.
>>
>>967297
will legorobot ever publish his comics as a book? I would buy it.
>>
>>965317
>I will euthanize them using vinegar and baking soda
What the f***?

A conventional mouse trap is probably less cruel than that.
>>
>>967289
Huh? The only anon here talking about killing people is you, my friend. You sound a little angry, and I didn't know there were mouse sjw's. I'm sorry if I triggered you.

And here's your (You) to show the guys in third period when you get back from spring break. Take it, it's a gift, a peace offering.
>>
Get a bucket, fill with co2, make traditional bucket trap. Just simplified it for you

CO2 is heavier than air and can take quite some time to dissipate
>>
>>965317
Use coke and mentos instead. It would be funnier.
>>
>>965717
Amen to that. Having an incessant mouse problem will turn you from a tree-hugging PETA activist to Charles Manson in about three weeks flat. I never knew I had it in me to beat a living creature to death while looking it in the eye until these little cunts decided to keep me awake with their scratching every night and shit on my kitchen surfaces.
>>
>>966571
The supermouse comment is true. I've seen mice jump over a foot vertically up. Literally backflip off stuff to avoid being caught. These little bastards wedge themselves between a pipe and the wall to ignore gravity while climbing. It's actually quite ingenious. These little fuckers don't just scurry around going "eek, eek" demurely.
>>
File: IMG_20160322_174343.jpg (3 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_174343.jpg
3 MB, 4208x3120
>>967637
Same. Garage was infested, tried the humane stuff. They outsmarted it. Then I got a cat.
>>
>>967658
Not guaranteed.
My cat will watch spiders, flies, ladybugs, and meow at them comfortably from the back of the couch and then stare at me like I'm the one not doing my job.
>>
>>965368
If anything, live traps can ensure that they're not going to die inside your walls, and you're probably less likely to forget they exist.
>>
File: 225px-Hans_Landa_IB_2009[1].jpg (12 KB, 225x222) Image search: [Google]
225px-Hans_Landa_IB_2009[1].jpg
12 KB, 225x222
>>965793
jew hunter detected
>>
>>967766
If you want a cat to hunt feed him less. Once he gets hungry he will kill anything he can find. Also removing cat's balls could be a problem here so if you're living in a countryside it's a good idea to leave his balls alone and just let him live outside in a shed.
>>
>>967766
Uhh, OK. I posted a picture of a rat or mouse that my cat caught. I'm not sure how much more of a guarantee I need. My garage is rat/mouse free. If you're talking about other people's cats, I don't give a fuck. If they go to the pound with a cat toy and see which one jumps at it, you probably have a winner.
>>
>>967637
Mine wasn't/isnt a huge mouse problem, its just a few of them (for now).

The first mouse I avoided all traps, I caught it in a jar and it died from shock. The second one a year later is the one that turned me away from "humane" (pussy) traps. It avoided the inverted bottle for a few weeks. I finally got sick of its bullshit and got a real trap, baited with peanut butter. I put it down and less than an hour later I heard what sounded like someone smack my window. It was pleasure when I realized that might be what a mouse trap sounds like. Sure enough when I looked the thing was in there. Then came the blood, the trap slammed down on its skull, not its neck. Blood pored out of its mouth and onto the paper towels I had down underneath the trap. The carpet is still stained with the damn things blood. I'm going to have to cut that section of carpet out, but that's an acceptable loss.
>>
>>967637
>>967957
The one I just had to deal with was a male, probably an alpha. This fucker was always scratching around in stuff at all hours of the day and night. Like you said it would wake me up fucking around behind the desk a few feet from my head. It was a constant cat and mouse game. Id just get glimpses of it, throw a beer bottle at it, miss and hit a monitor. thank fuck it was taken apart and the bottle hit the metal. I went out and got new traps, handled them with paper towels so my scent wouldn't be on them finally caught it when I sat down and it was right under my chair. I hit a pile of stuff with a keyboard and it freaked out and tried to run back behind my desk, I cut it off with by smacking the stand and the noise/motion made it see the path as unsafe. It freaked out even more and ran inside of a beer bottle I had sat there the night before. I just took the cap off of the desk and caped it in the bottle. I decided to dump it out of the bottle out side of city limits just so I can say I'm not a sociopath.
It was quiet for a week or two, and then I heard a slight rustle coming down from the attic. quiet, careful. I smacked the wall and heard it run back up. it was quiet for another two days. I can hear just the faintest shit in something on the other side of the room now, it comes from all directions. Ill be setting electric traps here soon.
>>
One you catch them just put them in a sack and throw them in the river.
>>
>>967976
>sack and throw them in the river.
No, They're not puppies. Just use a bucket.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.