[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can i paint something to look like this? Metallic copper,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 14
File: etc-statue-jd-precursororb-back.jpg (113 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
etc-statue-jd-precursororb-back.jpg
113 KB, 800x800
How can i paint something to look like this?

Metallic copper, thin coat of candy red and a black wash is my best guess so far.
>>
File: large.jpg (95 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
95 KB, 1280x1024
>>964611
i think that image was wrongly color corrected, this is closer to what i want.

A metallic red-orange
>>
Stick it up your butt
>>
>>964614
that was defo done with either rattle cans or an airbrush. you can tell its just some basic distressing on the markings/cracks with a foam brush. looks to me like, primer, a light orange base color, the redish/copper like color, then foam brushed in the distressed marks. as far as the color goes, you're just gonna have to find your favorite paint supplier and look for a color close to it. maybe contact the maker of it VIA email and just asked what they used...
>>
Looks like burnt copper and black wash. No candy, that's too much work for some cheap bobbin.
>>
File: orb.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
orb.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>964620
these were mass produced, i dont think it would be that easy to get the specs from them
>>
File: seal of Mar.jpg (23 KB, 570x320) Image search: [Google]
seal of Mar.jpg
23 KB, 570x320
>>964611

For the curious, im making what you would consider a hero prop of this, its made of the same red-orange-ish fantasy metal.
>>
>>964623
>>964624
>>
>>964611
Ask /tg/
>>
File: hammered_copper_closeup.jpg (58 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hammered_copper_closeup.jpg
58 KB, 480x360
>>964611
OP rustoleum makes "hammered copper" paint. it creates the texture in pic related. i've used it and it works great. they also have brown and dark bronze colors so check it out and see if the bronze might suit you better
>>
File: IMGP9810.jpg (919 KB, 2048x1354) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9810.jpg
919 KB, 2048x1354
>>964697
ah found the pic. i only did a couple light coats so the texture is light, if you do a light coat and then a heavy coat or (3+ coats) you'll get a more and more pronnounced hammered look. you gotta follow the instruction though! additional coats should be done a few minutes apart OR a few days apart. lotta people bitching in online reviews that the product didn't work right for them because they didn't follow the structions
>>
>>964611
Thanks for the nostalgia OP
Jak & Daxter were my favorite games as a kid, I remember beating 3 many times over. Sad the racing game ended the series.
God speed on your precursor orb.
I'm gonna go cry about how time flies.
>>
>>964611
>How can i paint something to look like this?
>Metallic copper, thin coat of candy red and a black wash is my best guess so far.
Metallic paints usually contain powdered or flaked aluminum (that makes them somewhat reflective, with a base color of silver) and thinned pigments to make them the end color desired.

You don't use the real-actual-metals (such as using copper to get a copper color) because most metals other than aluminum will quickly corrode and change color -- such as, copper turning green as it oxidizes. Aluminum only oxidizes on the surface and doesn't change color when it does.
>>
File: scribble-pad-studios-jak-1a.jpg (460 KB, 1400x770) Image search: [Google]
scribble-pad-studios-jak-1a.jpg
460 KB, 1400x770
>>964748
Maybe someday we'll get a Jak 4.
Really is a shame it got scrapped for The Last of Us.
>>
>>964611
Didn't someone want this exact thing like a couple years ago?
>>
File: Jak_from_Jak_3_concept_art.png (333 KB, 361x680) Image search: [Google]
Jak_from_Jak_3_concept_art.png
333 KB, 361x680
>>964697
Its close, but the metal is a lot more orange than that
>>
>>964876
Yeah, I enjoyed TLoU, even if the gameplay was cut and pasted at least the story was interesting, but there's a real lack of fantasy in modern games, a real lack of original ideas, even TLoU was just another zombie game, JAD had some really new ideas in the beginning, and they weren't scared to completely change the formula in sequels. And while yeah, it was kinda a bummer to see it turn into yet another game with guns, it didn't lose that unique soul it had, I really miss that in games.
>>
>>964991
It had guns but it wasnt a shooter, guns were just something in the game.
Even then the gun mechanics are different compared to most other games, kind of like Ratchet and Clank
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (322 KB, 1499x921) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
322 KB, 1499x921
>ITT
>>
>>965523
is the second one 2? :[
>>
>>965527
Yes
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12 KB, 261x195
>>965528
is the last one 6?
>>
File: color blind.png (23 KB, 349x144) Image search: [Google]
color blind.png
23 KB, 349x144
>>965527
>>965530
Got some bad news for you.
>>
>>964977
I painted a steampunk Nerf Maverick once and to get the exact color I wanted I ended up using a number of layers of paint. White to prime, then hammered copper as another anon said, then a few light dustings of black and gold respectively to give it a mottled look. You could try an undercoat of orange followed by the hammered copper, or if you find an oranger metallic paint you can try lightly dusting that over the hammered copper to retain the texture while making the color what you like. Don't dust with regular orange though.

Typically you want to let the previous coat of paint dry before adding a new coat, but you might try a primer layer of orange then hitting it with copper while it's still wet to get a bit of mixing. Don't go overboard though because drips will ruin the whole thing.

As with any paint project make sure to test your method on a scrap piece of a similar material.
>>
>>965570
finally, some useful advice
>>
File: img-thing_imad.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing_imad.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>965614
well fuck you too, ingrate
>>
>>965614
>finally, some useful advice

>>965570
>You could try an undercoat of orange followed by the hammered copper

>>964620
Third post.
>looks to me like, primer, a light orange base color, the redish/copper like color

>useful information
>the exact same information 19 post later.

kay what ever you say bud.

yeah I'm annoyed that something I said, along with others, gets re-written and deemed as useful advice. but instead of thanking me, or anyone else at that matter mr "some useful advice" over here, needs everything spoon fed to him in a single post.

I was gonna make some further suggestions, but fuck this noise.
>>
>>965618
>yeah I'm annoyed that something I said, along with others, gets re-written and deemed as useful advice. but instead of thanking me, or anyone else at that matter mr "some useful advice" over here, needs everything spoon fed to him in a single post.
>I was gonna make some further suggestions, but fuck this noise.
If you're going to get pissy every time you don't get credit for a post you made then 4chan is the wrong site for you. The point of anonymous posting is to get your message out and help the person asking the question, not to get praise for being the guy who posted the advice. Reddit the place for that. If you want to continue to help OP you're welcome to do that, but if you just want to be mad that a more in-depth post got a better reception than yours then you can fuck right off.
>>
File: just schwick.png (223 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
just schwick.png
223 KB, 500x336
>>965618
in all my years on here i've never made anyone as mad as i did by forgetting a two day old post
>>
>>965618
The only thing this self serving faggot is missing is a trip..
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.