[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
newish knifemaker here I've made around 6 or 7 knives so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 52
File: IMG_0823.jpg (72 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0823.jpg
72 KB, 640x480
newish knifemaker here
I've made around 6 or 7 knives so far, but im starting to run out of ideas for new designs. Anyone got any suggestions of cool designs from like games and shit? Anything practical is fine by me, hell i might even be able to make spears and shit. Just keep in mind i'm restricted to a 48" * 1.5" * .156" plate.

Pic related is the knife I'm working on now
>>
>>964331
video game designs are usually the opposite of practical
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7 KB, 220x165
>>964339
There are a few practical game weapon designs out there. This is one im planning on eventually. Also, practicality isn't too big of a concern for me, as long as the design isnt either insane or so thin at point that it would shatter instantly
>>
File: 1454840320179.jpg (74 KB, 488x612) Image search: [Google]
1454840320179.jpg
74 KB, 488x612
>>
>>964358
not a fan, plus i dont have the equipment for that
>>
>>964358
wtf am i looking at
>>
>>964363
"the worlds most deadly knife"
from what ive seen on the internet it causes a stab wound that is near to impossible ffor doctors to fix up and you end up bleeding out, Apparently
>>
>>964373
I don't understand, is the tip twisted or what
>>
>>964398

It has a twisted triangular profile. 3 blades + twist = everything gets torn up much worse than with a regular knife.
>>
>>964402
out of all the knifes that i could be stabbed with this is number 1 on the plz dont stab me scale
>>
Check out pretty much any knife from CS:go.
Pretty decent designs, and retards will pay good money for replicas. Even more if you paint or otherwise decorate them similarly.

Hell, they pay stupid amounts for even the digital versions.
>>
>>964373
>>964398
the twist is a little strange, might have more to do with the natural twist of your arm during a stab motion
any triple edge (or i guess multi edge?) knife is banned by the geneva convention because it doesn't heal and you can't really fix it easily.
you can stab people but you have to give them a sporting chance once you leave them to die.
>>
>>964373
ive heard the same thing about this style knife
>>
File: IMG_20160319_181243308.jpg (225 KB, 956x538) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_181243308.jpg
225 KB, 956x538
You could watch a couple episodes of Forged in Fire, some of them have pretty neat ideas. There are two episodes with turbo-weeaboos in it that are particularly hilarious.

Also karambits are fun to forge and handle, here's a shitty one I made a couple months ago.
pls no bully, I'm new as fuck to blacksmithing.
>>
>>964331
Have you actually made a good knife?
Because what you are holding looks awful and far too rough for you to be already grinding an edge on. Have you tested your knives to see if they were hardened and if so if they were then tempered properly?
>>
>>964358
aspiring medfag here

This thing has way more cut per square inch than a traditional blade, and with it's shape it's a bitch to fix anyone unfortunate enough to get stabbed by one.

Imagine a normal flat knife stab wound. Just a slit in the flesh that can be fixed fairly easily with enough talent and know-how, depending on where and how deep.

Now with that monstrosity, you're given an almost triangular stab wound as well as about the equivalent of 3 stabs from a normal blade. Even IF you're sutures are superb enough to close the wound, it won't matter anyway since there will be so much bleeding, the person is almost guaranteed to die. This is why that dirk/dagger/whatever is VERY illegal pretty much everywhere.
>>
>>964481
Just spray some polyurethane foam into the wound and call it a day.
>>
>>964481
I'm 90% sure it's also weak as shit and retardedly expensive. Basically useless.
>>
>>964487
At least it comes with a free dildo
>>
>>964458
Forged in fire makes me kinda angry. The fucking half asian half white looking turboautist their "weapons" master what ever they call him urks my shit. Hes such a faggot. I really wish theyd replace him.
>>
>>964504
I know, they really should focus more on the forging itself and much less on those often mind-numbingly stupid tests, but whaddya want
>reality television
>>
>>964487

Genuinely curious: Why the hell do you think a roughly prism-shaped chunk of metal is less durable than the flat strip a normal knife is?

>>964436

The twist is there to cause even more bleeding than just a 3-bladed knife would. Three straight blades would tend to simply cut three straight channels. Three helical blades will tend to cut three channels and then tear them even further as it enters/exits.
>>
>>964331
How about you get good at making a basic knife shape first.
>>
File: IMG_20160320_151856.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160320_151856.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
An idea of the shape to be cut in to make one or more knives?

it's centimeters
>>
OP, don't just make a bunch of different but half assed knives. Make one really good one, then another really good one. You'll learn more.
>>
>>964923
A pair of Karambits maybe?
>>
>>964504
"This weapon......
Will kill."
>>
lol did anyone read op's post as jewish knife maker?
>>
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63161933@N04/

Here OP, if you can't find a good knife shape to work on from this page then you're fucked.

Now try make something not shit.
>>
>>964923
2 ninja throwing stars.
>>
>>964331
Actual knife fag here.

An admirable attempt. Might I suggest something however instead of a new 'pattern'? You should find a basic knife pattern and make it. Paying attention to making it perfect. Stop when you have the blade done. Now get another piece of steel and remake it. Label this one "#2". Remake it, #3. Remake it, #4. Redo it 10 times. Youll have ten identical blades all improving in quality. Now work on your handles. Start with #1, then #2... so on.

Been doing knives for the better part of 16 years. I know making the same knife ten times sounds daunting and boring... but you're going to learn much better than changing patterns over and over.

If this is your sixth knife you really should be getting a better bevel grind than that. Its staggering around that steel more than a drunk russian.

What tools are you using?
>>
>>964358
It's a triangle bayonet, except edgier.

Any benefit it gets to stabbing someone is hilariously offset by its near total uselessness at other knife things, like slashing, or prying. It's a one trick pony that tacticool gear nerds like to circlejerk over.
>>
>>964923
Ulu. google "Ulu knife" get some ideas.

>>965641
You don't pry with a fucking knife.. there's other tools for that shit. as for slashing, assuming those edges are pretty sharp. swinging wildly you'd still cut a bitch. let me slash at you with one, for science!
>>
>>965647
Maybe *you* don't pry with a knife, but not all of us have $700 fancy-pants knives that we're afraid of even breathing on.

Also, look at the edges on that steaming turd, they're wide as shit, which means that any edge on them will dull faster than the average gear queer creams himself thinking about that triangle abomination. It'd also be awkward as hell to sharpen.
>>
>>964504

Fuck you I like Doug. Besides, if the blade isn't functional what's the point?
>>
>>964481
>>964481
This is why that dirk/dagger/whatever is VERY illegal pretty much everywhere.

>whereas stabbing people with anything else is perfectly legal everywhere, because it is easy to patch up and people are not injured by stab wounds

I get what you are saying, it just always gets me how retarded are weapon restricting laws. they would mean something when anything that can be used as a weapon would be banned, which would be every object from any matter in the universe
>>
>>965895
You dont need snaggletooth asian man to stab into a gelatin and plastic dummy with dye. To know if something can chop. Lets be honest. How many times have you seen that guy fuck up edge alignment on the show? Ive see him completely fubar and basically smack what he was striking at with the knifes side.. Of course it won't cut if you arent using it the correct way. Too much dramatics too i know that its partially the show but still.

Id like them to remove human error and use more machines like they did for the spiked shield test on this season.

Also why none of these blacksmiths ever have a hardness testing kit. Even a cheaper scratch test kit would be good enough, im talking the ones that make it to the end and work from their shop.
>>
>>966032

Yeah, that last part really bugs me. People who blades looked better, and more aesthetically pleasing have lost because of poor heat treats. They don't even do a file test. I still like the show though.
>>
File: 51tS+5C75FL._SX355_.jpg (8 KB, 355x350) Image search: [Google]
51tS+5C75FL._SX355_.jpg
8 KB, 355x350
>>964923
>>
>>966712
Topzozzle
>>
>>964331
for most people I think knife making is about the fit and finish of the blade

you work on getting your handles really well fitted first, on getting your temper really even and getting the blade really sharp
then the polishing, the treatment on the wood

precision is really important, you can make something cool and yet still not make what you were trying to

if you want a design try making a mushroom knife
pinch the opinel blade pattern and make it a fixed blade
>>
File: 1458520538413.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1458520538413.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>964923
>>
>>967255
too lazy to make it "goodlooking", you get the idea anyway
>>
>>964358
i'm making one of those right now. I have to set the mill to finish the blade
>>
So I'm not a blacksmitch, and there are obvious durability issues, but I have an idea from a knife. The profile can be whatever you want, I always like drop point. The knife is full tang, but for the handle, you use vulcanized rubber, like a car tire. You mold it to the handle, add some texture and you're done.

I think it would be better than plastic as far as grip goes, especially when wet, and think it would be very comfortable.

It just want be as durable ask g10 scales
>>
>>964923
quick question, ive got a diamond stone cutting wheel thats exactly like that, how suitable are they for making knives?
>>
File: Picture 90.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Picture 90.jpg
363 KB, 1920x1080
>>967410
my own poor contribution, first knife, spring steel, scrap brass and deer antler.

please be gentle..
>>
>>967420
i was thinking about acid etching a pattern up to the bevel, I havent decided on the acid etching method to use yet, ive seen the nail polish version, the salt water and car battery version and laser engraving which is far too expensive for my tastes.

anyone with more experience want to give me their two pence
>>
The exposed steel handle is a huge issue, if you fix that at least it isn't garbage.
>>
>>964331
>newish knifemaker here
>I've made around 6 or 7 knives so far
you aren't "newish". you are a first timer. make your 50th shitty spring steel knife and then call yourself newish

Also good knives come from good design, I threw up while looking at this piece of rotten PLEB shit you call your "knife"
>>
>>967410
Just another mystery alloy, like using files or any other old tool. It's probably some kind of carbon steel that will make a good knife. Probably. But unless you know for sure, you're taking your chances. That's fine if it's just for practice or you just like reclaiming junk, both of which are fine goals, but if you're going for top tier knifemaking, guessing about the alloy ins't good enough.
>>
>>967420
Your first goal should be to get better at grinding and shaping. All of the geometry seems off, which is sad because it looks like you had a good design inspiration in mind

Tell us all about the metal. What steel is it and what thickness? How well did you heat treat the spring metal

Does it hold itself after contact water
>>
File: Screenshot (16).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (16).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>964331
The knife from the intro of They Bleed Pixels.
It's not the most practical, but it's not unpractical.
>>
File: Screenshot (17).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (17).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>968005
>>
File: Screenshot (18).png (760 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (18).png
760 KB, 1920x1080
>>968006
>>
>>967945
Why do you have no chill

Did your dad hit your mom too hard today
>>
File: IMG_20160326_174748595.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_174748595.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
>>967257
>>
File: IMG_20160326_174824754.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_174824754.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
>>968011
>>
>>968005
>>968006
>>968007
It's just a gil hibben dagger, you can probably pick one up for 10 bucks on budk.
>>
>>968047
... Thanks. It's closer to 50 bucks, but I appreciate it.
>>
>>964331
Did yoi forge that or just cut it out of a sheet of steel?
>>
>>964524
>Why the hell do you think a roughly prism-shaped chunk of metal is less durable than the flat strip a normal knife is?
It's painted shitty steel from Huang-Lo Charlie's basement, probably not the correct type/temper for knives anyway. Also, It's more blunt than a horny WASP's daughter.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-27-12-50-54.jpg (2 MB, 1370x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-27-12-50-54.jpg
2 MB, 1370x2560
First step
I will show you when it's finished
>>
>>968314
>Did yoi forge that or just cut it out of a sheet of steel?

lets kill this one right away.

there is no difference between forged and stock removal - infact, forging is more likely to add faults into the knife due to inconsistent heating, over heating, or similar errors.

Forging does have a number of material strength advantaged in some situations - crankshafts, a Z shaped crank handle, pistons, etc. Knives are not one of those situations, unless the blade does some really screwed up stuff and curves and bends all over the place.

A stock removal knife has already been forged out to shape in the steel mill, where the bar has been rolled under tens of thousands of pounds of pressure through hydraulic rolling mills during production. This process has set the fundamental grain structure of the steel, regardless of any forging that is then undertaken.

The sole measurement of performance of a knife is in its heat-treatment, after shaping. The method of shaping makes absolutely no difference to the quality or strength of a blade..
>>
>>964458
your fork is really nice
>>
>>966032
I think it was the claymore episode or the viking sword episode, it looked likr he went to slash and hit the pig carcass with the side of the sword and not the blade, causing it to bend. Then he blamed it on the blacksmith. It shouldn't have bent, but it was a cutting test so I felt like he botched it.
>>
File: 1402354289380.png (61 KB, 600x269) Image search: [Google]
1402354289380.png
61 KB, 600x269
>>968466
th-thanks
>>
Can I make "damascus" out of an old band saw blade?
Do I absolutely need powdered flux and/or a hydraulic press?
>>
>>967967
thanks, yeah its mainly just for practise, might carry it whilst /out/ so its not going to take a lot of abuse.

was thinking a could turn it into Ulaks just for shits
>>
>>967991
EN42J High Carbon Steel strip 3mm thick, i got it to a dull red and quenched it in vegetable oil, didnt have anything else on hand and i was pretty impatient, a file skims off the blade well enough, however the handle part is slightly softer due to my shitty blow torch set up.

the deer antler didnt survive my attempt at pinning either, a tiny hair line crack showed up oncei t was pinned so ive taken it apart, ive got more antler though so all is good.

my big issue seemed to be with tool marks, should i remove them before or after hardening since ill still need to sharpen, buff, polish etc after hardening that i wasnt sure it was worth it pretreat.

ive got one strip of 15N20 / 75Ni8 High Carbon left and then thats it until i get paid.

also ive got a clip point 01 steel knife in the works with spalted wood handles but i want to save that until i can get a proper forge set up as its around 14 inches and will be impossible to do otherwise
>>
>>968484
> "damascus" out of an old band saw blade?

probably a waste of time.

I'd reccommend buying your steel - 15N20, and 1085 is a good combination. the reason is, you do not know what the band is. could be a simple 1095, could be something far more obscure. there's simply no way to know.

you can PW with hammer and just flux (you will not get a clean weld without a flux), but a press is much less painful to use.
>>
>>968528
>my big issue seemed to be with tool marks, should i remove them before or after hardening since ill still need to sharpen, buff, polish etc after hardening that i wasnt sure it was worth it pretreat.

my general process is to grind and shape the blade fully before HT, and clean up the surfaces to about 180 grit belts, then clean it off with a medium (maroon) Scotchbrite pad to give it a satin finish.

doing that, post HT cleanup is limited to a 120 grit belts to take the edge down that last 1/2 millimetre, then switch to either al/ox, or more commonly Trizact A45 and A30 belts, with water-cooling keeping belt and blade wet. saves a LOT of time.

do that, you'll have a nice finish that's good to then be hand worked from about 360 grit down.

I'd agree, you need to work on your surface finish a lot more from what I see there. its currently very scrappy. If you dont have a belt grinder, go shopping for red Al/Ox paper in 100, 150 and 180 grit, and some beech wood blocks about 50mm x 10mm thick. wrap paper round, and work along the blade at 90 degrees to the scratches, to smooth out the blade. note: dont use a round rod for sanding, as it'll not flatten out uneven areas like a flat block will.

oh, EN42's nice, but you need to do several (at least two) tempering passes on it, BTW..
>>
>>966025
Geneva Conventions <3.
>>
So I saved a link to anvilfire, but there are not blacksmithing clubs anywhere near me. I want to get a pretty basic #100 anvil and a decent hammer (3 lbs?). I'm reasonably certain that a brake drum forge will work for me to start, and then I can switch to a small gas forge (or design and build an electric one).

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get stuff to get started?
>>
>>968953
Got any steel yards around you? Or scrap steel vendors? Pretty much just buy the biggest solid piece of steel you can find! Also brake drum is kinda small.. I found a lid to a smaller bbq smoker. And basically turned it upside down and stuck some pipe in it. And attached my airflow to that pipe. I use charcoal because coals hard to come by in my part of the world. I normally make my own.. Because charcooal in a bag is really expensive because its sold for grills so theres a markup.
>>
>>968683
cheers ill keep that in mind, i'll look into getting a belt sander and read up more on heat treating. i live in an area which is smokeless, no fires allowed. its more of a historical law that got passed after all the buildings got pressure washed and sand blasted so they would never have to do it again so at the moment im left with a propane torch but ill look ito other methods
>>
>>969558
propane torch and firebricks is enough, no smoke needed.

my first heat-treat setup was 6 vermiculite firebricks, stacked together, with a hole on one side, and two propane torches, with one in the side, one in the end, and gas exhaust jetting out the other end. two torches ensured enough output to evenly heat the entire thing for larger blades.

the important thing is to go shopping and get a temperature thermocouple, and monitor. this one is good enough:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Digital-Thermometer-K-Type-Thermocouple/dp/B00HA22XEC/

you will probably want to upgrade the probe to a higher-temperature one but that's just a few quid. Functionally there's so little difference between a £20 thermometer and a £200 one, that there's nothing to gain for general semi-professional work. Use that, you can monitor the temperature, and ensure you're hot enough for the steel. quench in oil, make sure you've got an extinguisher to hand just in case.

Then temper in a normal oven, just run a another temperature probe in, to make sure the heat is right, as the oven's thermostat is probably not perfectly accurate.

Should be absolutely smokeless, done right. If you're having problems with smoke, later on, you could start to think about using Houghton Aqua-quench 360 - its an "aqueous polymer quenchant", sort of a water-based quench that performs in the same way as oil. not cheap, but great stuff.
>>
Just built a brake drum forge and want to start making some knives(I know its a shitty forge and I know my stuff will suck but gotta start somewhere)

What do you guys use for material to make the knives and where do you get it? Plain old steel or?
>>
U can add one with those gut spikes on the top
>>
>>964458
Fresh from the forges of Mordor.
>>
Not sure if you could do a rondel like that. Might be worth a try.
>>
>>964923
Wow 21 inches? That's a big blade
>>
>>971452
great reading comprehension there.
>>
File: image.jpg (274 KB, 1253x1616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274 KB, 1253x1616
Im no nazi, but this knife is rad
>>
>>971487
Also very practical
>>
File: 2016-04-02 16.40.39.jpg (2 MB, 3553x2961) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-02 16.40.39.jpg
2 MB, 3553x2961
Planning to make a knife here (first timer) and looking for some advice. I printed some plans, going to cut the steel with an angle grinder. Still havo to figure out what kind of wood I will use for the handle. Also, how do you really do the pins to keep it together?

The steel is probably low quality, leftover from a laser cutter. Would it be wise to some sort of heat treat it after cutting/basic sharpening?
>>
>>971132
>What do you guys use for material to make the knives and where do you get it? Plain old steel or?

"plain old" is not suitable. Assuming you're US-based, go to the New Jersey Steel Baron and pick up 1085 or 1095 steel. UK, try furnival steel. Cant help for anywhere else, sorry.

>>971504
waste of time. Using scrap that you dont know the properties of is wasting your time, your money. Is it a carbon steel? 1090? D2? O1? Water-quench? Oil? you dont know. so you're simply wasting time unless you know exactly what type of metal you're using, and heat-treat accordingly. Hell, you dont even know if it can be heat-treated.

And without a proper heat-treat, you dont have a knife. you've got a sharpened scrap of metal.
>>
>>971512
Of course, a knife is a sharpened bit of metal. On the other hand, the stuff I am using is all for free. I just want to try it out, also fixing the wood to the cling will be a good opportunity for learning. I do not really expect it to hold an edge.

What kind of knives have you made? Anything you would have done differently at the first knive?
>>
>>971527
>Of course, a knife is a sharpened bit of metal.

no. A sharpened bit of metal is a shiv.

a knife, unless you're re-enacting a stone or bronze age era, is a blade that is made with heat-treatment to harden the steel, so it *holds an edge* - that's the important difference. that it holds its edge, that its able to flex and spring back, withotu bending.

to do that, you need to use proper steel - a medium or high-carbon steel, such as 1060, 1085, O1. (all are good steels, 1085 and O1 are both excellent steel for beginners as the heat-treatment is straightforward - get it glowing orange, make sure its non-magnetic, quickly quench in a good canola oil, then temper at about 200 degrees C, and clean up. That'll give you a good quality edge.)

Mild steel, railroad spikes, mower blades, rebar, old files leaf springs, that offcut from your mate's shop... its a waste of time. If its not over 0.3% carbon (which counts out mild, rebar and RR spikes - even the ones marked "high carbon" are only 0.3%), then there's no point even heat-treating it, it wont get harder in the quench. And if you dont know what steel it is, you cannot give the right heat-treatment. your eyes are not a chemistry lab that can calculate carbon content by a look. There's as much chance you'll break the blade quenching into the wrong material, as anything. Only fools use old scrap. Dont be a fool.
>>
File: MPRondel.jpg (723 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
MPRondel.jpg
723 KB, 1600x1200
>>971527
I do historic stuff - for collectors, museums, that kind of stuff.

main things I'd say from hindsight - keep your templates - make a folder for them, when you've got a shape you're happy with use poster board or heavy card, and cut out two copies; one "master" and one where you shave 1/2 a millimetre off every edge - mark them so you know which is which (I use black and white card, and then clip them together.) . that lets you use the copy to draw around in a fineline marker, to get the exact shape right each time - saves hours measuring out.

Have a bit of excess for cutting out, unless you're getting it laser-cut - saves time in the long run, its faster to grind to the line, than cut out slower to be exact to the lines.

Invest in a good thermometer, so you're heat-treating right straight away - I didnt for my first half dozen, and regret it as they were scrappy.
>>
>>971512
> making knives from scrap is a waste of time
As opposed to buying stock to make a knife you have absolutely no purpose or use for? Sounds like a waste of time and money but oh well
>>
>>971630
well, if you have no point in making it and think its a waste of time, regardless of what material, then why are you making one at all?

that's called being a fucking idiot.

do you regularly decide to do stuff you have no interest, no purpose for, in other areas of crafts or work?
>>
>>971612

noun, plural knives
[nahyvz] (Show IPA)
an instrument for cutting, consisting essentially of a thin, sharp-edged, metal blade fitted with a handle.
a knifelike weapon; dagger or short sword.
any blade for cutting, as in a tool or machine.
>>
>>971512
>practicing is a waste of time
okay Bob Kramer
>>
>>964358
i'm almost there
>>
>>971839
Damn that looks good

What were the tools and tricks
>>
File: 1454581517128.jpg (21 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1454581517128.jpg
21 KB, 260x260
>>971329
I-I like millscale
>>
>>965641
The knife is a joke, made to troll /k/
>>
>>971629
Thanks for the imput, especially on the cutting a bit to wide and grinding to the lines will help. Would you have any tricks for attaching the wood to the cling? Planning to use three parts of a rather large nail (about 3.5mm diam.) and glue it on. Will treat the wood first so it doesn't go to crap when it gets wet or something. I won't expect to hold an edge, going to name it shanky.
>>
Do you guys cut your knives from stock using a template or do you hammer them into shape like traditional blacksmithing?

Just curious. Just getting into smiting and tool making and all this stuff. Doing it all with an anvil and hammering seems cool and fun but I struggle to see how you could get ornate designs that way.
>>
>>968331

It's a BS bayo, not a knife.

The edge'll go pretty damn quick, but that thing's meant to be driven in straight.

The real BS is that it has too much of a helix, the blade rotates 120 degrees. Stick it into a block of ballistics gel and it's the maximum damage, but hit a rib wrong and it'll break your grip on the thing.

It's still dumb as fuck, Weighs a shitload, can't be mounted securely and is the prosecution's wet dream in a self defense case.

The Farbain-Sykes still remains supreme for stabbing and literally anything else is a better choice for utility.
>>
>>971487

So let me get this straight, it's a rather simple dagger shape, but then you mill a channel through the blade, taking out 60% of the steel in a 2 inch section and rivet an heavy offset decorative hilt to it?

I'll be honest, the design is really aesthetically pleasing, but that can-opener "hinge" really kills the mood.
>>
>>971527
You should use it to practice grinding and fitting a handle. I don't know how smart it is to HT it without knowing what steel you're using.
You should try to find out what steel it is, and then HT arccordingly.
>>
>>964331
Karambits

They are an interesting challenge, because when you hammer the bevel in it bends the knife in the opposite direction. Karambits are one of the first types of knife I made and it helped me hone my grinding wheel skills
>>
File: 2016-04-06 11.13.55.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-06 11.13.55.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>973388
Grinding came out quite acceptable, it is reasonably sharp! But it will probably get dull very easily, because it has not been sharpened yet. Planning to do HT, but haven't figured out how yet. Might be using a wood fire with air blown in from a vacuum cleaner (we adapted it to blow instead of suck. Yes, that is giggity giggity.) Have gotten normal iron glowing and soft that way on the outside of the fire. Inside will definitely be plenty hot. Other option is our normal gas stove, slightly adapted. Might be a fire hazard though. Pic related, cord handle is temporary.
>>
File: 2016-04-05 15.06.57.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-05 15.06.57.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>>973610
>>973388
Pic for size
>>
>>973611
Looks good, have you found out what steel you have? I'd go with the coal forge, not modifying your gas stove. Or you could use two firebricks and a propane torch. Google DIY firebrick forge.
I would not use a gas stove, as it's not properly insulated and it needs to be pretty hot. All the forges have their pros and cons.

One thing I think you should do is grind the bevek a bit more so it's more visible.
>>
>>973716
You could also make a soup can forge
>>
>>973718
>>973716
Im new to the thread, and I have wanted to make my own knife using O2 which says its pretty easily heat treated with oil

I never bothered because I cant really make one of the typical 5 gallon bucket forges that everyone is always making. Bad neighbors with little space.

I could probably get away with the soup can forge though.
Is it really going to be hot enough to oil harden a knife blade?

Will it be OK to only heat and quench the blade of the knife, since a soup can will most likely have part of the handle poking outside of the soup can forge?
>>
>>973742
as a smith selling my work commercially, I greatly prefer not to quench the handles of knives and daggers - lets me do stuff like peining dagger pommels, or doing elaborate filework on the spine of the handle.

as long as you ensure its hardened all the way into the tang, and not partway along the blade, it should be fine.
>>
File: IMG_20160328_174319597.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160328_174319597.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>971938
>>971839
>>971990
A Negroni Bros Horizontal milling machine from 1940-1950. Old as fuck, butthe dividing head could be coupled to the feed screw.
After looking for like a thoudsand different gears, i end up with something around 3rev/mt (1 revolution per feet aprox)
I finish the rought cutting, now i have to make the round profile in the middle of each face, and give each edge a slight angle.
>>
>>973767
>>
>>973742
It will be hot enough to heat the steel to a proper temp. O2 should be easy to harden.
Just follow a guide for building a soup can forge.

>>973753
Is right
>>
>>973771
fucking awesome dude, this thread is great please keep updating us
>>
>>973716
It probably is S235JR, according to my housemates who sometimes work in the workshop the steel came from. Thanks for the input for the stove, will probably go with the wood stove+extra air flow.

What do you mean with grind the bevek (bevel?), the part that is not the cutting edge but has a slight angle to the back of the knive? If you mean that, i have not done that (yet) to avoid scratching the spine too much.

>>973767
>>973771
Damn, that is extremely sweet. Would love some more updates!
>>
>>964424
Honestly this.
>>
>>973823
Yeah bevel, didn't proof read.
I meant that I would not modify a gas stove (kitchen one?) to heat treat. A gas forge is easy to make and quite cheap. !!Operate it in a well ventilated area due to Carbon monoxide poisoning!!

S235JR is not ideal for heat treatment according to google, but at least you can practice grinding the steel. I'm not too good at steel, but I found this forum post about this particular steel.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/35697#.VwW13vl96Wg
>>
>>973771
Very interested to see how this turns out.
>>
>>973808
>>973823
>>974142
Thanks!
I wasn't working on it this week because the rounded mill doesn't fit the arbor that i have.
So i need to make an adaptor or invent something.
Probably on monday i will finish the profiling of the blade.
And i still need to figure out how to make the point of the knife.
>>
>>964481
perfectly legal to own most places
>>
>>974618
You bet.

I'm familiar with a similarly designed Microtech. It is damned cool looking and I'd accept it if someone gave it to me for Christmas but $500 to $1200 for a knife with virtually one application.... pass

Surely you didn't get to this skill level without making some other cool shit? Care to share your other work?
>>
Are there any adequate budget belt sanders out there?

Everyone on the blade forums and such recommend the Craftsman 2x42 which was like 150$.
Of course, Sears being Sears they no longer make that model as recent and have a much crappier replacement for the same price.

What is out there?
>>
>>974831

Harbor Freight has half decent power tools.

I'm a handyman by trade, all the tools I use daily like cordless drills, saws, etc... are name brand. I prefer Makita and Dewalt.

But tools that I need but rarely use I get at Harbor Freight. 4" disc grinder is like $20, oscillating tool like $20. They work until they don't and then you just throw them away and buy a new one.

A buddy of mine owns a knife shop and all of his sharpening machines are from Harbor Freight lol.

I need a belt sander but I'm not too keen on giving Makita $250 for one.
>>
>>974730
I really don't know what else to show. Maybe this DIY Clamp Tite.
I don't take alot of pictures when i'm machinig cause i always have grease on my hands and when you film/take pics the work takes more time to do.
I don't own a lathe or a mill, i always borrow from a friend so i don't machine as much i would like.
>>
>>975147
>>
>>975148
>>
>>974985
>I need a belt sander but I'm not too keen on giving Makita $250 for one.
Neither this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2jcpNFffsE
>>
sup dudes. Trying to sharpen a shitty dagger from the ren fair. I have a harbor freight diamond plate sharpening block with 4 grits 200-600.
Is 20degree suitable? Flat grind v? I am totally noob to sharpening any tips appreciated.
>>
>>974985
The harbor freight belt sanders are too small and weak. They will work, but have very limited belt selection and overall are shit for knife making.
>>
>>975154
Not an expert by any means, but 22 to 30 degrees is optimal for pocket knives and huntint knives. Depending on what you want to achieve and what you want to cut. Lower angles are sharper, but less durable. Western kitchen knives have a 20 degree edge angle, usually. A diamond sharpening stone remove a lot of material and is not recommended for beginners. There's tons of guides and information out there
>>
>>974618
>He didn't buy the meme-knife
>He fucking MADE THE MEME KNIFE
You're an absolute mad man. I bet you'd lay on the floor if your mates dared you to.
>>
>>964331
forget new designs and work on improving your execution of simple designs. this is my top tip.
>>
File: LwajWfg.jpg (1 MB, 3096x4128) Image search: [Google]
LwajWfg.jpg
1 MB, 3096x4128
>>964331
I made Goughs jig (like pic related), I ordered some O1 steel off amazon.

I cant wait to get to work on it.
>>
>>975446
Hahaha,
No, only if they call me a chicken, cause i'm Martin McFly
>>
>>975147
Nice. I'm not exactly familiar with this tool but I'm impressed by the fabrication. Machining is something that I've always wanted to into but never had the opportunity.

>>975150
That's pretty awesome and I subscribed but I feel like if I had the money for a lathe and machine shop I'd probably have the money to blow on a good quality belt sander. Still pretty rad though.

>>975226
I can't speak to that because I don't own one but I don't doubt it. However, I do know that the combo belt/disc sander is good enough for sharpening since like I said, my buddy uses one in his knife shop. For shaping he uses a bench grinder which is also from Harbor Freight.
>>
>>975608
>... I had the money for a lathe and machine shop..
People who have lathes and other machines often make their own tools, not always because of money, but as a challenge and/or to custom fit their needs.
I'm not sure the case of this guy. it looks more like a quick project for his channel. And definetly cheaper.

ABout the tool that i shown, it makes wire clamps for hoses and others.
I made it just because i wanted one, didn't think in using it. But it become a very handy tools. I used it to replace all the clamps on the air hoses of my compressor, To repair stuff. Tie things like branches, tubes, etc. And hold things to weld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAKaBVl_9o0
>>
How ridiculous is it to try to make a knife out of an old file? Twist being I have no access to a forge or torch. Just a table grinder and hand tools.
>>
>>964458

Pictures like this make me want to get into blacksmithing.

When you see someone make something ridiculously cool you just think ' i could never do that'.

When you see something that looks cool as fuck but is still obviously amateur, it makes me think about trying myself, making something again and again making it better each time. Until eventually you reach 'i could never do that' levels.

Plus, as >>968466 said. That is a hella cool fork.

Unfortunately i am a poorfag with barely time on his hands for anything, and nowhere to put a forge. And also i have the hand eye coordination of a newborn with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome.

Maybe one day though. Maybe one day...
>>
>>976718
possible but imho you'd be better off getting a known steel and either farming out the heat treat or building a forge, which is real easy if you have any sort of air mover (hairdryer) and any sort of metal container, a couple bits of scrap, and any sort of metal pipe.

if you really wanted to do it from a file without a forge to heat treat and keeping it super basic, you'd have to:
-temper the file in your oven (place in tray of sand and use digi thermometer till you get it to the right hardness (here's where having a known steel makes life a lot easier)
-shape it being very careful not to get the edge hot enough to soften it further. this can be time consuming as there'll be a fair bit of metal to remove and it'll be pretty hard.

drilling holes to mount the handle will be a ballache unless you can further reduce the hardness of the handle area without reducing the hardness of the edge, or have some magic drill bits that'll drill knife-hard steel.
>>
>>964331
I want to see OPs finished blades
He has 6 or 7 of them laying around finished
>>
File: IMG_20160411_184620839.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_184620839.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>974618
Working on it. Almost finished the profile.
>>
File: IMG_20160411_191048690.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_191048690.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>977022
>>
File: IMG_20160411_191358012.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_191358012.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>977024
>>
File: IMG_20160411_213326865.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_213326865.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
>>977030
>>
>>977042
You done yet mate?
>>
File: IMG_20160411_213630006.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_213630006.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>977298
No
>>
>>964331
Cs go knife
>>
>>977299
wtf does that do, maximize bleeding?
>>
>>977321
I think that's the idea
>>
>>977321
maximises haemorrhage from the wallet of gullible people, really.

its fairly impressive as a piece of machinist's work, but beyond that, its not really very good as an actual knife. its not even particularly good as a dagger - they tend to be far too broad and not even close to a good balance as fighting daggers - so they really only excel in parting the gullible with thier cash.
>>
>>977501
yeah knives like this are actually banned by the geneva conventions for use by militaries because it causes much more damage and is infinitely harder to stop bleeding.
>>
>>977501
>>977321
Yea, makes a jagged, hard to stitch wound.
>>
File: IMG_20160412_172025341.jpg (593 KB, 1560x2080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_172025341.jpg
593 KB, 1560x2080
>>977299
today i finish all the profiling and start machining the point, it's kinda hard cause the knife is too long to be holded just with the chuck.
>>
File: IMG_20160412_191408573.jpg (744 KB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_191408573.jpg
744 KB, 2080x1560
>>977577
>>
File: IMG_20160412_192134127.jpg (723 KB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_192134127.jpg
723 KB, 2080x1560
>>977582
>>
>>977523
>yeah knives like this are actually banned by the geneva conventions for use by militaries because it causes much more damage and is infinitely harder to stop bleeding.

No they're not.

Firstly, the Geneva Convention is not about weapons. The Geneva convention is about the treatment of prisoners of war.

The Hague Conventions discuss weapons. It explicitly prohibit fragmenting or expanding bullets, poison, and asphyxiating gases. It is also forbidden "To employ arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury" - that is, ragged wounds by blades with backwards facing spikes, etc.

The three-edged nature of a blade is not in violation of the Hague convention. The entire "harder to stop bleeding" is just yet another of the myths that has been repeated again and again by people who dont know what they're talking about - its been being said for at least the last 50 years, if not 100 now, and as such has become perceived as "fact".

Here is an example of a type 56 military bayonet - a 3-edged spike.
>>
>>964331
A kris style knife with the snaking blade would be a cool challenge.
>>
File: azaza.png (3 MB, 1415x778) Image search: [Google]
azaza.png
3 MB, 1415x778
>>967255
Today I drew what you proposed to me, it looks okay, butI'll print it from your image so that it's the right size, I messed the other half of the blade trying to make another knife with freehand drawing
>>
File: IMG_20160414_223823486.jpg (564 KB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_223823486.jpg
564 KB, 2080x1560
>>977584
Fucking finished the machining. Now i have to polish and blacken it.
>>
File: IMG_20160414_223841621.jpg (893 KB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_223841621.jpg
893 KB, 2080x1560
>>978650
>>
>>978650
>>978651

That supposed to split wood or something?
>>
>>966032
Doug constantly hits his targets with the flat of the blade.
Occasionally, he blames the handle for rolling.
>>
>>978652
You should probably try reading the thread.
>>
>>964481

Well if that gel ever hits the market even closing wounds like this will become a triviality. That algae based gel looks insane for stopping bleeding. Veti gel or something like that.
>>
>>978650
Should see how much mall ninjas would pay for that, its a pretty fucking neat bit of machining work
>>
File: Picture 95.jpg (1 MB, 5276x1952) Image search: [Google]
Picture 95.jpg
1 MB, 5276x1952
>>964331
my very fist try at making a knife... maybe i can start a hobby out of this
also next time i will wrap it in leather and add a real pommel, then i'll start working on the sheat
>>
File: IMG_20160415_200044422.jpg (654 KB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160415_200044422.jpg
654 KB, 2080x1560
>>978730
Thanks!, i would love to sell a few. It's lots of work, but i imagine that making a few at the same time will be faster ans easyer.
I don't know how much can i charge, maybe between $300 - $400
>>
>>979142
That turned out awesome. Now the real trick is gonna be the sheath haha.

Yeah that's seems like a lot of work which is probably why Microtech sells theirs for $5-700.
>>
>>977601
Not trying to troll but it seems to me that a triple edged knife/bayonet would cause more damage and therefore more bleeding. Otherwise what wound be the point? Unless you are implying that more damage/bleeding doesn't necessarily make the bleeding harder to stop.

I figure that's why archery hunters use 3 sided broadheads.

But what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>977601
>>979176
Lot of the reasons for the spike bayonet coming into vogue for a while was for it to achieve lethal penetration through thick clothing and to some extent- fairly cheap to produce. Most soldiers hated them simply because they're just extra weight for 99.9% of the time and a conventional bayonet blade can be used for stuff around camp (making kindling, trimming ropes, opening cans, cutting wire etc) so its a trade off of utility.

As to the 'damage' done by a 3-edged vs 2-edged weapon
Will it do more tissue damage?
It probably will as there's an extra surface to possibly cut a tendon, artery or various organs. But its not likely to be a huge percentage like say +33%, probably more likely maybe 10% and a lot of that comes down to your placement into someone else's body.
Which brings me to the next point (fnar!) of penetration-
Its going to be slightly harder to push a circular, 3-edged weapon with a broad surface area, so you'd need to be extra-stabby with it to achieve the same level of penetration. Most vital organs and arteries in the human body at least need about 3-4" of depth before you hit something major like a heart, lung, kidney and so on, a lot of the major arteries are also at this depth and a few like the ones through the neck and lower back are a bit closer to the surface.

From a tactical and medical perspective, well lets just say conventional military training along with medicine doesn't really meet too often in this case. If you're bayoneting or stabbing someone, you do it until they're dead and Mr EMT can get a day off without worrying about fixing anything, course if they're interrupted in the process of murdering you with a 3-edged weapon, you're going to want to see someone about that leaking hole(s) you've got. Sewing up the surface injuries is generally well within even basic trained medical staff.
Hitting a vital organ- that's when the surgeon gets called and they'd treat it like a shrapnel wound.
>>
>>979176
>Otherwise what wound be the point?
>wound
To sell expensive shit to wannabe badasses?
>>
File: 1.jpg (574 KB, 2250x1500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
574 KB, 2250x1500
>>979142
well, i think i'm done. Was a cool project.
>>
File: 2it699h.jpg (445 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
2it699h.jpg
445 KB, 1023x682
>>979662
>>
File: k1e2pe.jpg (412 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
k1e2pe.jpg
412 KB, 1023x682
>>979663
>>
>>979662
>Was a cool project.
Definitely
The lack of a handguard is kind of scary, but I guess it never was very practical! :)
>>
>>979675
>The lack of a handguard
Maybe the next one...

For now, my next project is a ballistic knife
>>
File: file knife.jpg (1 MB, 2044x736) Image search: [Google]
file knife.jpg
1 MB, 2044x736
>>976792

Hi boss, not the poster you replied to but someone else interested in file knives.

Years ago I obtained a Nicholson file which I was under the impression had some respectable carbon in it to hold an edge.

Stuck it in a wood burning furnace overnight wrapped in foil and let it cool in the ashes to anneal.
It came out soft and easily workable. Got a basic blade and tang shape via angle grinder and hand file work, but didn't proceed any further. Moved house and couldn't relocate it.

I've recently found it again. I knew very little about things at the time. Was the overnight anneal in very non-specific temperatures enough to ruin the steel? Or can I work with it again and complete the job?
Much obliged
>>
File: 1453050684084.jpg (44 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1453050684084.jpg
44 KB, 540x960
>>979662
>>979663
>>979664
That's pretty impressive m8. But be careful if your hand slips on the edge it will take a team of surgeons to fix it unless you want to bleed out in literally 3 seconds.
>>
>>981060
i already try to stab things, doesn't work.
It intimidates, but doesn't kill as fast as a razor sharp double edge dagger.
>>
>>971629

Just curious, but how much money do you make? If you're willing to divulge, of course.
>>
File: moths.gif (3 MB, 506x253) Image search: [Google]
moths.gif
3 MB, 506x253
>>981389
I'm fairly successful... I've not gone bankrupt.
>>
>>981441

Do you ever make any other things for anyone aside from knives? I've been wanting to get into smithing more with my basic knowledge and do things like arrowheads and the like for reenactors. Much of a market or should I just not bother?
>>
Im a poorfag but i have a 4 year degree in metalsmithing (jewelry scale mostly). This summer i will make some hand bellows and do some ancient style bronzeworking, smelting malachite and cassiterite to copper and tin, then alloying bronze and casting some things.

i dont have any experience alloying though, should i be using a flux of some sort? Or just melt that shit in the same crucible and stir it up?
>>
File: IMG_20160423_133206.jpg (2 MB, 4864x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_133206.jpg
2 MB, 4864x2736
First knife I "made". Will polish the brass on the buffing wheel when I get the chance and apply bees wax on the leather to make it glossy. Overral I think I did decent for a first try.
>>
File: IMG_20160423_142048.jpg (2 MB, 4864x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_142048.jpg
2 MB, 4864x2736
>>983600
Here it is after applying linseed oil.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.