[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mechanical problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: ay.png (164 KB, 2418x1055) Image search: [Google]
ay.png
164 KB, 2418x1055
English is not my first language but I hope I can still explain this coherently.

I need to build a contraption that is fully mechanical and takes its main power from a clockwork crank thing.

There are five pushable levers (1-5) in the machine and five stepper gears (a-e).

The problem here is that I need to have the gears respond to switches being pressed. If this was an electric project I'd use a battery and slap in a few AND gates and call it a day, but this thing's different.

When switch 1 or 5 is pushed, the gears A and E step.
When switch 2 or 4 is pushed, the gears A, B, D and E step.
When switch 3 is pushed, ALL gears step.

I can only use the crankable big spring gear for power, but besides that there's no limits. I also have a technically unlimited parts budget because all the machinery parts will be 3D printed to fit exactly these needs. I just want to know if there's some simple logic to this I'm missing.

If you guys know any super-versatile gear/mechanical shit physics simulators too, let me know.
>>
>>962629
Maybe try going to a forum dedicated to mechanical computers... they used them in aircraft and ships in the 1940's during the war, there's people dedicated to restoring these machines. im sure they could help you out.
>>
That should be easy enough. Just make buttons that increment or "step" or whatever wide enough to accept all cams connected to levers. Make weirdass cams (with like 4-5 branches to press them all at once) that press proper buttons. Profit?
>>
>>962629
We're not here to do your homework for you.
>>
The fuck is a stepper gear? That ain't any gear I've heard of.
>>
What if you use mechanical logic gates? Also use an escapement mechanism for each 'stepper gear' so you get one step.

3d printed parts are awful btw
>>
>>962755
English isn't my first language and I'm pretty lost on the terminology already, but thankfully I figured something out already. I'll try to post pics when I can.

>>962851
I don't know how to make mechanical logic gates but I'll check email out. What does "escapement mechanism" mean?

Also I dunno 3D printed aluminum is pretty sturdy if you ask me. Don't know if there's a cheaper way. Lego maybe
>>
>>962629
So an enigma machine?

OSS pls go.
>>
>>962878
By escapement I mean the device that makes a clock tick: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escapement

In your case instead of hooking it up to a pendulum you hook it up to a spring so when you push or pull on it, it will step.

Here are some mechanical logic gates:
https://mechalogic.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/43/
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.