[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/. I have always been a toe-walker, and for anyone who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: what is this called.jpg (48 KB, 666x379) Image search: [Google]
what is this called.jpg
48 KB, 666x379
Hey /diy/. I have always been a toe-walker, and for anyone who doesn't know, this can actually cause some pretty serious structural problems in your body if it goes on too long. Although I am not even out of collage yet, I am already noticing some minor issues. I am physically able to walk flat footed, but unless I am continuously thinking about it I automatically revert to walking on my toes. So I had this idea that I could build a device that will detect when I start toe walking and alert me. What I have developed is arduino based. There are three inputs. a button on the toe, the heel, and a third button that is used to report statistics. outputs include a piezo buzzer and an lcd display. In the program, there is a counter called toeCount that increments every time the toe button is pressed and decrements every time the heel button is pressed. if toeCount ever rises above 3, piezo beeps briefly, toeCount is set to 0, and toeLog increments. A variable called stepCount is incremented every time the toe button is pressed. when the third button is pressed, it turns the lcd display on and reports the value of stepCount and toeLog.

(Note that the toe and heel buttons are actually set up to detect state change, not just checking to see if the pin is high. This prevents massive increase in stepCount while standing still, as well as a few other related problems.)

The programing works, and I have successfully tested a mock-up in hardware, which also works. the only thing I have left to figure out is the buttons for the toe and heel. regular pushbuttons are not going to work because I have to stand on them. drilling holes in my shoes to make room for them is also not desirable. I recently came up with the idea of using something like the rubberized switches in calculators, but I have NO idea what it is called, and therefor have no idea what to search for to buy.

>>tl;dr: what is the button in pic related called?
>>
membrane switch, but I don't think it'll work
>>
Put these on the tip of your inner sole and I guarantee you'll never walk on your toes again.
>>
>>962398
Google Force Sensitive Resistor (FSR). Basically a more linear version of the buttons in OP photo. Cheap, available in a bunch of sizes, and thin so it fits in shoes.
>>
>>962404
>Force Sensitive Resistor
why wont this work, and do you have any recommendations?

>>962413
is there a digital equivalent, or will I need to use a calibration value at the beginning to show it when it is open and closed?

Thanks!
>>
Why not wear stilettos?
>>
>>962414
AFAIK this is the closest thing to a membrane/keyboard switch you can buy individually (which you'll need for heel/toe placement) and the only thing I can think of that is actually flat. I haven't come across a plain on/off version - unless you buy a whole keypad and cut bits off.
Their resistance is pretty much linear with applied pressure. Simple way to read it: Resistor divider chain with midpoint to ADC input. For lower power/noise use the R in an RC circuit and measure the RC time constant. If you're feeling fancy drive it with a constant current source.
They're pretty consistant so they shouldn't need calibration as such, just pick a middle of the rangeish threshold value. I can't remember much about temp coeff's though, you'll need to check the data sheets for that.
>>
>>962407
OP here
So much cheaper and effective. Forget I posted this thread, will delete. Thank you kind sir.
>>
>>962448
REAL OP here.

This literally is blasphemy.
>>
>>962585
Real real OP here. Disregard everything, I'm a faggot.
>>
>>962720
If you're not going to contribute, please refrain from posting at all.
>>
>>962398

>I am not even out of collage yet

Sure kid. Sure.
>>
>>962398
My brother had this same issue when he was younger. For him it was because the tendons in his calves were a bit too tight. Eventually he had his legs put in casts for a few weeks with his toes pointing slightly upwards and he has been fime ever since.

But then I guess if you are posting here you aren't interested in this kind of option....
>>
>>962416
This op, nobody is allowed to make fun of you anymore. If they do make fun of you then they will get kicked out of college
>>
>>962729
>babby's first 4chinz thread
>>
>>963232
Considering I've been here since 2005, I don't think so.
>>
>>962398
Can you not just get a pair of orthotics?
>>
>>962398
I feel you. The collage part is the worst way to do art.
>>
>>963624
I tried that when I was younger, along with PT but I did not do the exercises with enough consistency. Iv wanted to try again but parents thought it wouldnt help and I cant pay for it personally.
>>
>>962734
Not even sure what you are implying... Are you saying Im 40 or 12? Or something else entirely

>>962845
from how I understand it, the tendons in my calves are too tight because of toe walking, not the cause of toe walking. Either way, that is pretty much out though.
>>
there is an MBT medical shoe for this problem i think. (masai bearfoot technology)
>>
>>963287
>im reely an oldfag guise, sooper seerioos
>>
Have you seen a doctor? My nephew walked on his toes all the time. He needed surgery on his back. Seems there was a some tissue wrapped around a nerve that caused it. Doctor said it was a pretty common congenital issue.
>>
>>962398
>collage
Please tell me that was a spelling correction error.
>>
>>965504
>>963973
It's an easy typo which spellcheck won't catch.
Rein in the autism, guys.
>>
>>962398
>this can actually cause some pretty serious structural problems in your body if it goes on too long.
Source? Google only has stuff about toe-walking as a symptom for stuff and not a cause.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.