[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cable Managment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: IMAG0019.jpg (838 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0019.jpg
838 KB, 1440x2560
I need help with cable management for this old computer. Any and all help is welcomed.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (7 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7 KB, 318x159
>>961180
>ribbon ide
>cable management
>>
protip: when you try to hide all the cables by wrapping them behind shit, it makes it more difficult to change shit the next time you crack the case open, and pretty much nothing else besides that.
>>
I just need to know which cables go in which slot
>>
File: c203_018p2.gif (21 KB, 379x243) Image search: [Google]
c203_018p2.gif
21 KB, 379x243
>>961272
The ones that fit.
You haven't bene able to do anything exciting to computers since the AT-AT standard was out. Everything is idiot proof. Don't cut and splice any wires. If you can't make it fit, you're doing something wrong.

The most exciting thing is the IDE cables. If you lookat your ribbon cable there is a longer section, and a shorter section. The far end of the long piece goes into the mother board the. two connectors that are closer together go to the drives. The connector that goes closer to the motherboard is slave. The farthest is master. If BOTH drives don't have their 'CS' (cable select) jumper, then you need to set them both to master/slave as appropriate. This far/master near/slave needs to be obeyed even if setting it manually.

The best you can do for IDE cable management is double sided tape and folding it.
>>
>>961272
cable managment means having lots of cables but having them look presentable at the same time.

Look on the motherboard, the ide slow, see pic above my post, will have master and slave written on the board where it plugs in. hard drive goes in master slot on the mother board.
the cable has two exit cables, It should say master on the top, plug that on the hard drive.
You have two cables there, plug the cd / floppy drive into the other and plug that into the other ide port.
>>
>>961351
My nigga. stop. You've never touched an IDE cable or it's been so long you can't remember.

Floppy drives had a different sized cable.

IDE cdroms (We're ignoring the crazy early 90s/80s cdroms that were proprietary bullshit half the time)) were just IDE devices, they could be masters or slaves.

The IDE on the motherboard was labelled IDE1 IDE2. Master/slave appears on jumpers on the device, and you'd have to set it manually, or if it's new enough, you could choose cable select. (but then you had to have a CS cable)

You can tell it's a CS cable if the connectors are keyed.
>>
>>961186

holy shit is that johnny depp or mike matei? I really can't tell.
>>
>>961180
There is nothing tricky here, plug shit in where it fits. literally
>>
File: 1011498861iFbEs5p4TI_1_4_l[1].jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1011498861iFbEs5p4TI_1_4_l[1].jpg
18 KB, 500x375
>>961298
>The best you can do for IDE cable management is double sided tape and folding it.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/1999/08/30/how_to_make_round_ide_cables
>>
>>961180
>>961272
It's not rocket surgery, figure it out.
>>
>>961645
You can also buy the things super cheap on ebay if you can find em.
>>
>>961298
>the ones that fit

If you are working with an older server beware of the 40 pin ide/ata connectors. Some proprietary connectors used these to carry some very high power. I plugged into one of those once and my cable caught on fire and the disk failed. Typically the ide ports will be paired. The weird or was of by itself.

Also, route your cables so that they leave as much open space as possible for good air flow. You can also split the weird apart on ribbon cables and r then tape them so they are a smalls round cable instead of flat air blockers.
>>
>>961645
http://www.dansdata.com/rcables.htm
>Out of spec cables
>The spec already sucks
>You already don't have a lot of slack. Get less slack because you sucked the ends ups.

Nope.
>>
>>962578
Fuckin spell check. This is embarrassing.

Good info in this thread though. Good luck.
>>
>>961354
Floppies were card edge or 34 pin.

Anyone remember the 1-800-4MAXTOR automated system for looking up heads and landing zone values?
>>
>>961354
Fuck, its the cable that says master/slave. Mobo just says ide.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.