[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shower Wall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160312_171409.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160312_171409.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I've never done anything remotely like this. How hard would it be to patch this wall and make the shower usable?
>>
>>960872
I don't know about how to do a tile job but I can tell you that the board the shower head is tired to is not secured. Fix that before you close everything up.
>>
>>960872
Go to BIGBOX home store
buy:
>1/2" concrete tile backer board
>CBU screws
>1 small pail of RedGuard memebrane
>latex-modified powder thinset tile mortar (you'll mix with water)
>unsanded grout of your choice
>tiles
>silicone sealant for where the tile meets the tub and the joining wall
>sealant (like Miracle 511 Impregnator)
>1 notched tile trowel
>1 grout float
>1 mixing paddle for a power drill
You'll need a corded drill to mix the mortar and grout.

About $200 in materials, maybe a little less depending on tile.

Rent a tile snap-cutter and a tile nipper for around the pipes

>cbu goes on wall with cbu screws
>redgaurd that to prevent water leaks
>wait
>trowel on thinset mortar
>stink on tiles
>wait
>grout
>wait
>sealant
>wait
>silicone edge where tile meets tub and opposing wall
>wait
Now use shower.
>>
you need to bust out the sheetrock on the other side too, it's moldy and fucked.

quick fix so you can shower until you get all the materials in:
silicone a plastic sheet (something like tyvek) to the studs, tiles and bath; poke holes in it for the taps and shower head. you can peel it all off easy when it's time to do the job properly.
>>
>>960883
If he's on 4chan I doubt he'll be in a situation where he needs to shower. Seriously though op it's a manageable job for most people if you have patience and are at least a little attentive to detail. The only 2 things you have to worry about are making it look good and more importantly making sure no water gets into the wall.

>>960882
This anon hit the nail right on the head. Print this out and follow it.
>>
>>960872
Is that mold?
>>
>>960882
>cbb && tanking
belt and braces!
expensive though.

>>960883
>quick fix
>silicone to the studs
staple a plastic dust sheet just above and around the shower head do it drapes into the tub. turn the knobs through the sheet.

if you have concrete board up you can just shower and it will get wet but it doesn't matter, it will dry out in a couple of hours. but the water will dribble down between the bath and the wall and make the floor wet. water also dissolves tile adhesive so probably don't get ungrouted tiles wet.
grout isn't waterproof either though? magic i guess.
>>
>>960872
To make it JUST usable? Vapor barrier and some tuck tape should suffice, You can slap that on there and have a shower as soon as you're done (you may want to be careful about applying too much of the tuck tape to sensitive surfaces because the stuff is rather sticky and tends to leave some of it's bright red adhesive behind after peeling away), so if you're getting someone else to fix it I would just go with that.

If you've really never done anything like this (tile, etc..) ask around your friends, maybe they know someone who knows how and if that fails just watch a bunch of youtube videos and practice a bit on some scrap boards I guess.
>>
I would fix some of the plumbing if it's in your budget. New valve and raise shower head a plumber can do it cheaper because the wall is already gone
>>
Bump.. will be doing this soon myself and have zero experience.
>>
>>960872
detach fixings from the copper pipe.
install bathroom rated board with holes drilled to standard dimensions.
install fixings
silicone in gaps.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.