[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Belt Sanders $100-150 range?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: sander.jpg (20 KB, 466x311) Image search: [Google]
sander.jpg
20 KB, 466x311
What is a decent table top belt sander in the $100-150 range? I am looking at the 3 below:

WEN 6502
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAXSYT8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Powertec BD4600
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DS742O?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Rockwell RK7866
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CJLV0A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Doing some knife kit projects and need a sander to shape the wood handles. Also for future /diy/ reasons in general.
>>
File: strip_sander_ct.jpg (17 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
strip_sander_ct.jpg
17 KB, 400x368
The majority of stuff in that price range is all coming out the sane hung low Charlie factory, re-branded with a few minor changes here and there; you're not going to really benefit from one or the other any more than you would buying a belt sander and clamping it upside down to your work bench.

You might also be better off with a strip sander rather than a wide flat bed belt sander for handle shaping.
>>
File: strip sander.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
strip sander.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>960712
>You might also be better off with a strip sander rather than a wide flat bed belt sander for handle shaping.

That is one other question I had. Generally what is the purpose of one vs the other? The strip sander I'm looking at is the Grizzly 1x30
>>
>>960719
A flat belt is simply that, flat. If you want to sand long flat surfaces or joints you would use that.

Vertical discs help when forming outer radius curves and beveled edges.

Strip Sanders are very much like bobbin Sanders in theory but only allow work on an open edge. They will match the curvature of your cut easier and you can use flat or curved belt supports to help you sand your work piece.

Example, if you want to sand a flat top of a knife handle with a beveled edge on both sides the disc on the strip sander would come into play.

To sand in the curves on the grip and beveled edges you'd use the strip.
>>
As always,

Find a tool from Craigslist or whatever that's old enough to not be a Chinese hunk of plastink

What you're looking for is guys in their 50s+ that don't do DIY anymore
>>
Good info so far, thanks guys.
>>
>>960708
I have essentially the one in the picture (under a different brand name) has handled everything i've thrown at it, I don't regret the purchase one bit
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.