[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are non-steel bikes so disgusting to look at?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 800x1200
Why are non-steel bikes so disgusting to look at?
>>
memes
>>
File: 16150333612_84e73b8b44.jpg (110 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
16150333612_84e73b8b44.jpg
110 KB, 500x375
i have an old reynolds frame and it has a dent under one of the top cable guides

is there a way to remove it? pulling it out somehow? dont know if the cable guide will hold the upwards force..

pic related a cable guide, but without a dent
>>
>>959113
Because you're a filthy hipster.
>>
>>959113
The bike in your picture is steel. That's a lugged steel frame.

I get the same feeling when seeing aluminium frames. They look fat and slow because my brain doesn't register the differences in material density. Aluminium isn't as strong as steel but it is a lot lighter. This means you've got to use wider tubes and more metal, but end up with a lighter frame.
>>
>>959113
Because steel is real
>>
File: Ces1.jpg (930 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ces1.jpg
930 KB, 1600x1200
>>959511
Obviously that's supposed to be an example of a beautiful bike.

This is an example of the disgusting.
>>
>>959527
All the new hydroformed steel bike frames look like that too though.
Trying to make it look like a carbon frame.
>>
>>959139
Crazy idea but hear me out;
Drill a hole in the frame
Put a hose connection or similar in it
Use a pressure washer to hydrofrom it back into shape like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llhcATrmsBg
Profit????
>>
>>959113
I feel ya, OP. Aluminum bikes just look like shit.
>>
Carbon aero bikes are cooler
>>
>>959735
I don't think you understand hydroforming a steel frame very well.
>>
>>959795
lol nope, just a random thought I had. Why wouldn't it work though?
>>
>>959735
>>960730
im the guy asking,
i want to avoid drilling holes in the frame,
by doing i could also just drill a hole under the dent and push it out i guess
also i dont think the frame is even sealed to apply any pressure
>>
File: costanza2.png (137 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
costanza2.png
137 KB, 300x300
>>959113

>not appreciating a top a beautiful aluminum TIG job

Stop looking at shit bikes m8
>>
>>959139
Push an adequately sized ball bearing through it.

That's how you get the dents out of trombones
>>
>>959113
>>>/n/
>>
>>960752
Leave it alone. Everything you're discussing as options will make it worse.
>>
>>960780
STACKED DIMES
T
A
C
K
E
D

D
I
M
E
S
>>
>>959113

That's cause your taste sucks OP
>>
If the bike doesn't have:

>butted chromoly tubing
>lugs
>horizontal top tube
>quill stem
>leather saddle

...then melt that shit down and turn it into tin cans. It's shit.
>>
File: BIGpeepee.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
BIGpeepee.png
139 KB, 917x871
>>960752

>>963071
/line of inquiry

Anon if a bike frame has a hair line crack in it it becomes no longer safe for use, putting any holes -regardless of size- in the frame will be great if you're trying to ride to the nearest neck brace.

Honestly riding with a dented frame isn't even a good idea either.

tl;dr
Your bike will buckle on that dent when you hit the right bump in the right place.
>>
File: ritte.jpg (139 KB, 960x615) Image search: [Google]
ritte.jpg
139 KB, 960x615
because you are too poor too afford nice carbon

no offence
>>
>>963946
kek/10

Carbon frames are made exclusively to be lightweight, they have the longevity of paper mache.

Used as a daily commuter on the same path a carbon bike will last you about a tenth of the time a steel bike would.

They're made to be raced occasionally and nothing more, I always get kek's outta people that spend their money foolishly.

But good job for affording it at least?
>>
>>959113
because they don't need to look amazing for people to buy them, they are lighter and awesome to ride.
>>
>>963954
>Used as a daily commuter on the same path a carbon bike will last you about a tenth of the time a steel bike would.
Assumptions can make everything look bad.
>>
File: meme.jpg (41 KB, 681x451) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
41 KB, 681x451
R8 mine. This is pretty much mine but mine has Reynolds assaults apart from meme zipps
>>
File: aBY6eKN_700b.jpg (104 KB, 700x1246) Image search: [Google]
aBY6eKN_700b.jpg
104 KB, 700x1246
>>959139
first two replies are stupid. all you need is long-nose pliers, using the cone-shaped end of the pliers, simply "massage" the guide back into shape with force, once its open again, use the metal tip of an actual brake cable to round out the end. I've been fixing guiders this way for over a decade, its the only way i can get it to look like new and have no risk of tear
>>
>>963954
Kek. People ride carbon frames on Race Across America every year, thats 3000 miles. Guess how often the frame breaks in half.
95% of racers train on a carbon bike, thats 5000 plus miles a year.
You have literally no idea what youre talking about.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.