[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My parents are artists, and whenever I enter their workshop,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 1449159697967.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
1449159697967.png
325 KB, 382x417
My parents are artists, and whenever I enter their workshop, the smell of the paint, varnish, etc. is just unbearable.
I started putting on a respirator whenever I enter their workshop, since I know that these vapors may be bad for your health.

Am I being paranoid? Or am I right about putting on the mask? My parents started teasing me about doing this, but I feel that there's nothing silly about not wanting to breathe potentially harmful vapors.
>>
You know in coal mines they tease the people that wear respirators

It's one of those things where they know it's bad but misery loves company
>>
>>957974
Most of the varnishes release nasty vapors, that's why many of them have "use in a ventilated area" in their labels. Although they aren't too harmful they could cause problems on the long run, so yea, make them install a ventilation system in their workshop if they don't have windows, sure it wasn't part of their plan, but youre the big guy there.
>>
>>957974
I'm also sensitive about the smell of solvents. I'm worse than you, though. Whenever my GF puts on nail polish I need to be in a different room with a closed door between us. It just makes me immensely uncomfortable.

If they're doing spray painting, or otherwise distribute solvents so you can assume there is some in the air, you can wear a respirator without feeling like a pussy.

They probably tease you because they're used to the smell. It's hard to evaluate what the level of potential harm can be, since there's a long way between an open can of turpentine and using a rag dipped in white spirit as a face mask.
>>
>>957974
box fan + ac air filter.
>>
>>957974
I usually find that the smaller a person is, the more concerned they are about harmful vapors, because they have smaller lungs. I'm pretty large(about 6'2) however, and I've become really fond of my mask.
Basically, you probably won't die from the vapors, but it would be extremely painful if you pulled it off.
>>
Yes. Ever wonder why people are concerned from VOCs? Look it up, wear lung protection or enjoy your cancer.
Don't let foolish tuff hillbillies ruin your life.
>>
>>957974
My client is an "art business incubator" whatever the fuck that is. Love working with these guys but seriously there's an 80 year old man who runs the letterpress shop. And the room is just pure suspended petrol chemicals. Nobody can breathe in there except this dude who takes about a dozen breaks a day to go smoke a cigar in his truck. Everyone asks him could please leave the fan running 24/7. Dude is so old that his 21st century job doing letterpress is NOT IRONIC. We are openly trying to find a replacement. Gerald is gonna get rekt any fucking day.

Ask Gerald "Hey can I pay you to print my wedding invitations"

"Yeah sure," he says "but just pay me in cigars."

Gerald leaves a stack of invitations on my desk. Writes on the top invitation of the stack
"Good Luck"
>>
>>957974
Ignore them, continue using a respirator.
>>
Pretty much anything that evaporates faster than water is bad to breathe. Concentration over time is the trick; if you breathe benzine vapors for 60 seconds/month you probably won't have any ill effects. If you do it 60 minutes/day you will.

Keep wearing your respirator. I work in an industry where lots of solvents are typically used, and part of the reason I went on my own was to get away from that. I am down to iso alcohol (heavier than air, easy), and acetone, which I am as careful as I can be with.

Lots of folks I know ended up with neuro damage around 60 years of age. The had their noses over all sorts of strong solvents for years. Fuck that.
>>
WWWWHHHAAAATTT ???

Stop right there nigga ! You can get high for free bro ! WTF is wrong with you ? I can't masturbate enough in a row to get that high anymore and you got it for freeeeee ? Fuck your damn artists parents. When your mom fuck you dad it should alway go in his ASS

you punk ! I wish I could get that high again by masturbating but im not 14 years old anymore ! But atleast I still fuck 14 years old.
>>
>>957974
they're idiots

it's one thing if it was a weekend project, but long term exposure can have serious effects
>>
>>958472
fuck my ass ! HARD, cocks angry guy
>>
>>957974
Isn't that shit inflammable and can cause an explosion in an unventilated room?
>>
>>958474
no thank you
>>
>>958034
You're a big guy
>>
>>958468
It's odd, and anecdotal evidence, but I work in an oil refinery, so benzene exposure is a fact of life. Nobody here as far as I know has developed leukemia, but the old timers here(lifers, 40+ years) start developing medical issues later in life. It's always about 2 years after someone retires too. It's almost like a built up tolerance, but after you stop being exposed to it whatever remains in your blood and gets to you. They post obits in the control room, saw one the other day, retired in 2012.
>>
>>958471
>When your mom fuck you dad it should alway go in his ASS
>it should alway go in his ASS
>his
not sure if pasta but had a larf, thx based /diy/nossaur
>>
any paint chemicals and its fumes are very toxic in the long run except for water based. if you feel you are exaggerating because you want to protect your health then you are a miserable being that doesnt care a fuck about his/her health.
>>
>>957974
I think the real question is why the fuck you in their studio ?

>parents tease me
My divorced parents been at it for 30 years man.
>>
>>957976
>You know in coal mines they tease the people that wear respirators
Fuck that, coal lung ain't no joke.
>>
>>958511
for you
>>
>>958430
Gerald doesn't sound like too bad of a guy....
>>
>>958430
Gerald sounds like a pretty nice man. Why are you hating so badly?
>>
>>958430
Gerald sounds like a cool dude
I bet you vape, drink mixed drinks and wear oversized beanie, faggot
>>
>>957974
They have probably already killed most of their brain cells, disregard their opinions and keep wearing the respirator.
>>
>>958430
>/diy/ likes Gerald.
>you however, obvis cunt, do 1.
>>
>>958529
I wonder if it's the other direction. That they start feeling 'old' and retire, and the tiredness etc. that got them to retire was the start of accumulated damage avalanche.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.