[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a problem /diy/. Something that vexes me and I need your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: listen.jpg (10 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
listen.jpg
10 KB, 273x184
I have a problem /diy/. Something that vexes me and I need your help. Long story short, hard time for me and my family. I live with my mother who is on disability, I commute a long ways to a shitty job. I am poor, she is poor. The house we live in is only 90% finishes. Problem is there is no hot water tank and no bonus room or laundry room to fit it. The water manifold is on the outside of the house in a little box with a hinged door on it and a but load of insulation. The house is really a 800 sq foot apartment in a metal hangar. The hangar is uninsulated and will likely be for a while, thats a big project. I need a way to get a hot water tank or on demand hot water tank inside my living room and hide it safely. I am concerned about carbon monoxide. It would need to run on propane. I would plumb it through the wall and have a vent in the box. Is that safe? Better ideas?
I miss hot water so much and showers. We use a claw tub and the stove or the wood stove for hot water.
>>
What about a tankless water heater?theyre under 200 bucks and mount pretty much anywhere.i get that youre poor but seems like a reasonable purchase to save up for.
>>
>>957687
Well my issue is I have no idea how to install it indoors. How could I do it safely without killing myself or others? Proper venting, plumbing etc.
>>
>>957690
I believe theyre very safe.we have one mounted right in the bathroom at my job for a sink and shower.water heaters arent usually vented for exhaust gases.the tankless units i referred to are about the size of a microwave oven.walmart sells them.im not sure about propane option but my guess is that theyre available.
>>
>>957699
As for plumbing,the one i saw had easy access fittings for a cold water inlet and a hot water outlet.id think itd be a very simple connection.
>>
>>957690
the plumbing hookups should be pretty easy, and the vent would be pretty straightforward as well

if you're not comfortable with the gas connections, have a qualified person do it

you'll need to have it in a place with adequate air flow and spacing

regardless of where it is, I'd suggest a CO alarm
>>
>>957690
You can get indoor ones. They are not quite as efficient as the outside condensing ones and they require a flue.

>>957687
>$200
For the outdoor chinese ones that deliver luke warm water perhpas.
>>
>>957741
So far it looks like on demand tankless heaters are a losing game. Almost all the cheaper ones have loads of fake reviews mixed with seething hate from real customers. Even bosch has mediocre reviews. Thew few good ones cost over 1000 dollars. do they make direct vent tank water heaters?
>>
File: rinnai.jpg (125 KB, 938x704) Image search: [Google]
rinnai.jpg
125 KB, 938x704
>>957745
>direct vent

If you are talking about outside one with no chimney stack required then yes.
>>
>>957784
No i live in a cold region, i need one with a double walled pipe where the intake and exhaust are one and has a 45 degree elbow. The unit is sealed so cold air cant come in and freeze stuff
>>
File: 8818019926046-424-424.jpg (23 KB, 424x424) Image search: [Google]
8818019926046-424-424.jpg
23 KB, 424x424
you can get a little one that goes under the sink in the cupboard. had one in my previous house.

it's called a "Plieger kitchen boiler" and heats 15L at a time. (you can shower for 2 minutes with that water.. ) then it needs to reheat again.

In the Netherlands it's about 180 euro's, so 190 dollars.
>>
>>958090

they dont need no gas because it's electric.
so no deadly fumes etc.
>>
>>958092
off grid, not enough electric for that.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.