[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry Pi Access Port
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
So I've got a little project I'm working on involving a Raspberry Pi 2, Raspbian Jessie, and Tinyboard (Futuba clone made by some faggot). I'm stuck on the part where you make the Pi function as an access point. Every guide I read on how to make it operate this way goes through a step where you assign the Pi a static IP address and they mention making changes to /etc/network/interfaces which is the old way of assigning static IP addresses. Debian Jessie now requires you to assign the static IP in /etc/dhcpcd.conf and I'm not particularly linux-savvy right now, so does anyone have a guide for setting up a raspberry pi as an access point following the second method I listed here or could you walk me through it at least?
>>
Fuck now I have to dig trough my boxes in the attic to find my fucking bohrok
>>
>>957257
>Debian Jessie now requires you to assign the static IP in /etc/dhcpcd.conf an
That seems retarded.

What if the interface isn't marked "dhcp"?

What if dhcpcd isn't installed/running?

Further, where did you read that? That's not what it says on wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration .
>>
>>957257
ifconfig

https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point.pdf
>>
>>957467
In Debian, you use /etc/network/interfaces and ifup/ifdown to run ipconfig for you.

If you run ipconfig behind its back, it'll just undo your changes when the interface state changes or the machine reboots.
>>
>>957466

http://sizious.com/2015/08/28/setting-a-static-ip-on-raspberry-pi-on-raspbian-20150505/

>>957467

This is still done in Wheezy, not Jessie.
>>
>>957494
>http://sizious.com/2015/08/28/setting-a-static-ip-on-raspberry-pi-on-raspbian-20150505/
I'm not saying you're wrong, but Debian certainly never used to work like that, doesn't look like it's supposed to work like that, and isn't documented to work like that.

If dhcpcd is grabbing an address for an interface that isn't marked "dhcp", that's a bug in dhcpcd.

If you don't need to be able to acquire an IP address by dhcp (and it doesn't look like you do), then your best solution would be to configure the interface like on any other Debian derivative, and remove dhcpcd.
>>
>>957465
Like this if you remember them!
>>
>>957257
install arch
sysctl stop dhcpcd.service
cp /etc/netctl/examples/static-pi ../
nano /etc/netctl/static-ip
set shit up
ctrl + x
netctl start static-ip
netctl enable static-ip

The names might be a bit fucky, google will sort it out for you if you have any problems.
>>
>>957530
*use wireless static ip, ls /etc/netctl/examples, replace all instances of the name in the commands I listed.

also for the rest of the job, idfk what youre doing, just google how to do it on arch instead of "raspberry pi"
>>
>>957530
>sysctl stop dhcpcd.service
* sysctl stop dhcpcd.service
* sysctl disable dhcpcd.service
Its been a while since Ive worked with linux, I just noticed I forgot to add the disable line. also it might be "systemctl" That sounds more accurate.
>>
I gave up and restarted everything with Debian Wheezy instead of Jessie. Got the image board up, going to try to set it up as an access point now.
>>
File: BASED.png (112 KB, 1339x457) Image search: [Google]
BASED.png
112 KB, 1339x457
Forgot to post screenshot of Tinyboard running.
>>
>>957257
Bionicles!!!
>>
>>957881
omg youre an admin? can I b a mod >.<
>>
Restarted from Wheezy. I was getting this error message before restart:

Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211'

Now I'm getting

Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found
Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211'
>>
>>958335
what the fuck are you even trying to do?
do you just want to host an image board?
download apache and call it a day.
>>
>>958339

The pi has to function as an access point with a landing page that routes to the imageboard. I'm trying to make the pi an access point and that's where I'm fucking up.
>>
when you had jessie installed, did you try making changes to both /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/dhcpcd.conf ?
>>
>>957257

Is this Pi going to run as a static all by itself AP?

Does it have/need to also function as a DHCP and DNS server?
>>
>>958520

Yeah, there isn't supposed to be internet access. Only people who are in range of the access point will be able to get to the imageboard.

>>958515
I did but I never could see the access point so it didn't work.
>>
>>958354
I dont know what you are saying.
Are you trying to make a proxy, or are you trying to host a webpage?
>>
>>958700
You refused to use arch, so this might not work with debian or whatever youre on, but read through this and see if this helps you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_access_point

You will probably also need a dhcp server (Id just use dhcpd), and host the dns server also so you can do faggot shit like "anonssite.com" without paying for the dns. You can get away with this because its local only.
>>
>>958831

Would Arch be better than OpenWRT? Seems like OpenWRT would be easier since I can just have it redirect all 404 errors to my imageboard.

Since it isn't connected to anything, any page that someone attempts to access that isn't stored on my Pi will just redirect. That's as good as a captive portal in my opinion since this thing will never connect to an ethernet port aside from using SSH.
>>
>>958933
I don't know your setup,
as far as I know it goes - WiFi USB stick > raspberry pi > Debian > Access point software > website.

I use arch on a dedicated computer just to route traffic from a switch through a vpn on the other side of the country, arch is just a bare bones linux distribution. Its good on arm devices because of how minimal it is.

I dont know much about openwrt, are you running that as your operating system on the pi? I thought you were using wheezy or some new version that didn't work. This is the first time you mentioned openwrt.

If you're using openwrt on the raspberry pi I would say that it would be better than arch for an accesspoint, but can openwrt also host the website?
>>
>>958961

I was using Wheezy but I'm pretty inept when it comes to using Linux so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make this access point be restricted to only the pages which are located on the pi itself.
>>
>>959079

If it's bot connected to the internet, it's not going to have any other pages to display.

Basically just configure the AP to be its own DNS and redirect everything to itself.
>>
>>959083

Like I said, I'm inept so I don't know how to go about doing that unless I have a guide to follow.
>>
>>959090
i would install the latest version of rasbian and follow the guides for debian

you might have had it almost working before but only a few settings off
>>
>>959079
Google "debian turn off ipv4 forwarding", and Bob's your proverbial.
>>
>>959079
If your inept then arch will fuck you.
Idk what to tell you then. You are basically trying to go mountain biking before you learned to ride with out training wheels.

This is what pisses me off about raspberry pi and arduino. They market these products to people as an entry level device and there fucking not. You either need to be familiar with linux or know C to make use of them. Most of the people that buy these things never actually make use of them, and the few that do only copy and paste stuff.
There is only a small handful of people that can use these damn things properly, and the ones that do know how to use them properly know not to sped $50 on a $3 chip.

tldr: get good before you try to use this thing. Install linux as a desktop operating system and learn to use that.
Protip: dont use ubuntu for more than a month.
>>
>>959242

> Tips Fedora

Th-th-thanks...
>>
>>959251
Are you implying I tip fedoras, or are you tipping your fedora at me?
>>
>>959361

I am implying fedora wearers should always be tipped to.
>>
>>957257
Why are you looking for Raspberry Pi-specific literature when you should just be looking for an updated guide on how to do it in Debian Jessie?
>>
>>959372
Right, so you are implying I'm a fedora wearer even though I tried to assist you with your problems.
You might want to learn the difference between someone that knows stuff and a fedora wearer, newfriend.
>>
>>957528
+1 like

I had all the bohrok, Bohrok-Kal, and all the Toa-Mata.

I hate how time moves on.
>>
>>959391

I am not Op nor do I need or want your help but your entire original comment comes off as a pointless bitch fest against the Pi and apparently Ubuntu. Basically, it's clear your one of the douches that does nothing but keep Linux from becoming mainstream because people might have to ask questions or they might complain about how obtuse Linux makes a lot of ample actions.

You also didn't really provide anything constructive or helpful to anyone.
>>
>>959439
>I am not Op nor do I need or want your help
Then dont reply to my post talk to op.
>but your entire original comment comes off as a pointless bitch fest against the Pi and apparently Ubuntu.
ubuntu has ads in the start menu, fuck ubuntu.
ubuntu is the original windows 10.
I advised op to use an operating system that would get him familiar with the command line and how to configure shit, you know.. what he was trying to do in the first place?
Using it in a real setting will allow him to get use to trouble shooting in linux and configuring all kinds of stuff. If he wants to know how to build this stuff then he has to learn to use the tools he purchased.
Arduino is even more guilty that raspberry pi in their tricking people into thinking this shit is legos. With their simply colorful design and their "look at all you can do" campaigns, they tricked parents into buying microcontrollers for kids that wont be able to use them, or be able to learn with them. They also got several adults to buy all this shit at a jacked up price. Allot of the people that buy this stuff thinks its all going to be so easy and they'll make all this cool stuff and its simply didn't happen.
>it's clear your one of the douches that does nothing but keep Linux from becoming mainstream because people might have to ask questions or they might complain about how obtuse Linux makes a lot of ample actions.
I'm a douche that doesn't want people buying a $3 chip for $50 thinking that they are doing to do shit they arnt, thats your point? This makes me a douche?
Linux will never go mainstream because the average person simply isn't capable of sitting down and using linux. They need simple shiny buttons that just do everything for them.
>>
>>959439
>You also didn't really provide anything constructive or helpful to anyone.
I advised op to use an os that will teach him to install and configure packages instead of having a magic "make it work" button.
This is obviously what he needs because his interests are doing this stuff, if he wants to do this stuff he needs the knowledge of how to do it.
>>
>>959251
>>959391

God damnit, I knew you were going to think that was me saying that. Why does every board not have ID's enabled?
>>
>>957257
What?
>>
Also unrelated to the shitstorm, I've gotten to the point where when I run

nslookup [any site]

I get

Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: google.com
Address: 192.168.42.1

I would assume this would automatically open /var/www/index.html but I'm having no such luck. Any suggestions? If I can get this to open, I'll pretty much have this project figured out.
>>
>>959733
why is the dns server 127.0.0.1 ?
>>
>>959746

Good question. I had changed that at one point. I just changed /etc/resolv.conf to 8.8.8.8 again and rebooted and it's back to 127.0.0.1. Something is changing it on startup.
>>
>>959759

There was a line in /etc/resolv.conf that says it was generated by resolvconf so when I go to resolvconf.conf, there isn't anything making changes to resolv.conf. I tried manually adding

dns-nameserver 8.8.8.8
dns-nameserver 8.8.4.4

to /etc/network/interfaces and it's still changing to 127.0.0.1 when i do nslookup
>>
>>959788
Are you editing this file with root permissions on your text editor?
/etc/ is a protected directory.
>>
>>959472
>They need simple shiny buttons that just do everything for them.
Hey, Ubuntu provides just that! Well, at least shitty buttons part.
>>
>>959788
Are you editing this file with root permissions on your text editor?
/etc/ is a protected directory.

Also are you trying to direct the dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?
Those are google's dns servers. If you give your clients googles dns servers they will resolve actual host names, i.e. if you they go to yahoo.com they actually will go to yahoo.com and not your website.
>>
>>959849
>>959856

Yeah, it's taking effect because when I change resolv.conf and then do nslookup I get this

Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Address: 216.58.194.110

Now I'm realizing when I make changes to resolv.conf, my pi is no longer forwarding all traffic to 192.168.42.1.
>>
>>959856

I followed a guide on forwarding network traffic to the localhost (on the pi), but I don't fully understand it though.
>>
>>957257
>put the green axe from one of the original bionicle onto this bionicle
It looked so badass.
>>
>>959856

Is there actually any reason for it not to be 127.0.0.1?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.