[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pic is a PCB from a HDD that won't spin up. what are those
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: hdd_pcb.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
hdd_pcb.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
pic is a PCB from a HDD that won't spin up.

what are those little rectangular components sitting on the SATA power connector traces? they are unmarked. how do i find out what the value of the one that exploded was?
>>
Probably a surface mount capacitor. I would otherwise say resistor but they don't typically burn up like that unless you did something horrific to it. Just look up the model number of a nearby one and solder some new ones onto it and hope the rest of the board is not fried.
>>
Just search for surface mount capacitor in a search engine, you can buy them from countless places for cheap, example: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/11244
>>
>>955473
>look up the model number of a nearby one

there are no markings on any of them, or on the silk screen
>>
>>955476

what capacitance value???
>>
File: doggie girl.jpg (364 KB, 956x1280) Image search: [Google]
doggie girl.jpg
364 KB, 956x1280
monolithic ceramic capacitors.

They're pretty neat and have a bunch of rare metals inside.
>>
>>955478
They look roughly the same size to the ones in the link I posted. If I had to take a guess I would say they are those 10uf smd caps... Also unless there is sensitive information you need to recover it may just be quicker, easier, cheaper to get a new hard drive, or try to find a whole pcb board for it. but if it's just that one cap no harm in trying to replace it.
>>
File: Pizza_Steve_Icon_1.png (60 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Pizza_Steve_Icon_1.png
60 KB, 200x200
>>955468
Maybe smt capacitors, in which case they would probably be a pretty small value, such as 1 nf or so.

Based on their appearance though, my first guess would be ferrite beads. They work as zero ohm resistors at low frequency, and high value resistors at high frequency. They get used a lot for filtering data lines, which makes sense on a SATA plug. You may be able to get the drive to work by just shorting between the pads of each of the FBs. Theoretically the data line would be more sensitive to environmental noise, but if you only need to run it long enough to recover the data, it should work.
>>
>>955489
To be sure, measure across one of the ones that still looks good. It should measure close to zero ohms on a multimeter (because you're measuring DC resistance). If you have acess to lab equipment, measure one at high frequency (1 MHZ and above) and it should measure a few Kohm.
>>
>>955468
To avoid fucking things up worse, if you really really need to recover data from that drive, I would eBay the model of the drive and either look for another drive or just the PCB. Try to get as close as possible; be aware of drive revisions, firmware revision, and build date if possible. Then replace the entire controller PCB.
>>
>>955498

isn't the ROM chip on the PCB customized for the particular drive
>>
>>955495

on a multimeter one of the good near-by ones measures 0.3 ohms.

when i try to measure capacitance, it reads "OL"

how do i do the 1 Mhz thing?
>>
>>955504
don't bother.

remove the burned inductor an put a blob of solder there to short it out
>>
>>955501
I had success swapping a defective PCB for one of an identical drive I bought at the same time.
But I too heard they may be drive specific with calibration data etc. Maybe I got lucky.
>>
Guesstimate? .1uf@25v and see?
>>
>>955890

I've done the same thing with an old 80gb seagate, worked flawlessly. I was told the same thing, but it worked fine to recover the data.
>>
>>955501
>>955890
Generally, no.

Modern drives store their firmware on the platters themselves, and have a generic 1BL that can spin up the drive and read the real firmware off it.

That's why modern drives don't even appear to the BIOS if they go click-of-death.
>>
These are 0ohm resistors. Theo are a cheap Version of an short circut protection. They have a max Watt Rating and when the drive takes more they blow up and act as a fuse.
Just buy a SMD resistor with about the Watt Rating of the drive or to be save take a working one take IT oft and increase the amprage with a lab powersupply till it blows up and Order to of thrat vallue
>>
>>955890
Tried this for a friend. It wasn't that simple. He had bought a 2nd hdd, same model but swapping the board didn't work.

What I had to do was swap one of the chips, from the burnt out one, to the new pcb. Can't remember what it was but it was the closest one to a connector that went into the hdd.
>>
>>955468
I plugged a laptop charger into a HHD enclosure once (They where the exact same size... felt retarded after) and it did similar damage, unfortunately it fried the whole thing, HHD and all. I'd say you might have bricked the whole thing, but all power to you, if you tinker and get it to work.
>>
>>955484

Over one capacitor? that's retarded
>>
>>955483
What is this? Why my dick is diamonds?
>>
File: isabelle2.gif (761 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
isabelle2.gif
761 KB, 400x452
>>958174
Isabelle from Animal Crossing: New Leaf cosplay.
>>
File: isabelle.gif (664 KB, 500x396) Image search: [Google]
isabelle.gif
664 KB, 500x396
>>958174
>>
>>958325
>>958324
I cant understand the fascination with Isabelle, I really didnt like her all that well.
>>
File: shizue.png (678 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
shizue.png
678 KB, 700x1000
>>958324
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.