[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From my limited knowledge in being able to describe this, i scored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_2424.jpg (467 KB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2424.jpg
467 KB, 3456x2592
From my limited knowledge in being able to describe this, i scored a electrothermal motor? You can see it is/was used for spinning a fan.

You see, my parents put in a new roof, and that included removing the attic fan for a ridge vent instead.

They were going to chuck this into the dumpster but i told them not to, and i myself killed the power to the circuit, tested the line to make sure it wasn't hot, and finally snipped the wire myself and removed it (though the entire housing had to be pulled out from the roof of the house)... but i made these guys' lives easier in removing it.

I did that so they wouldnt throw it off the roof and instead hand it to me off the ladder. Which they did.

Anyway -- if i wanted to re-use this, what applications do you guys think are possible? It was an attic fan which ran really well since 1997, and if you heard it running you'd think it was powerful. I can't say that it is or that it isn't -- only that it was reliable.

More pics coming.
>>
File: IMG_2428.jpg (474 KB, 2592x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2428.jpg
474 KB, 2592x3456
The capacitor.

I forgot to mention that this was hooked up to a three-way switch. It was supposed to be thermally activated.

But it was actually hooked up to a power switch in the wall (like a light switch). We flick the switch, and the attic was cool in a matter of minutes.
>>
File: IMG_2429.jpg (508 KB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2429.jpg
508 KB, 3456x2592
I 'll go into my ideas in a bit... just want to get these photos up first.
>>
File: IMG_2430.jpg (343 KB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2430.jpg
343 KB, 3456x2592
>>
File: IMG_2431.jpg (506 KB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2431.jpg
506 KB, 3456x2592
>>
ok, so just throwing out a few ideas --

1. can i even re-use this?
2. i have a young nephew. can i make something like a go-cart with this as a motor to spin the two back wheels on it?
>>
>>954597
>. i have a young nephew. can i make something like a go-cart with this as a motor to spin the two back wheels on it?

No, that isnt going to happen.

You can reuse it for anything that a small AC motor would be useful for.
Let it sit and eventually youll find a use for it.
>>
house fan

windmill maybe
>>
>>954600
Thanks a lot. I've never worked on a motor before so a few trips to the library are in order. And of course some cleaning.
>>
fit it to an ac arc welder. the fans are often shitty and burn out.
>>
>>954595
Throw it in the trash
>>
Maybe you could make a fan out of it
>>
>>954591
It's a good fan. Either find a use for a fan or trade it for something you can use. At least, drop it at a hardware reuse place, maybe get a few bucks for it. Then someone else can buy a nice fan cheap.
>>
Couldn't you turn it into a wind power generator?
>>
You can use an ac motor for a generator it need a pem magnet to induce a. Voltage 90% of the time a capasitor will go bad in an ac single phase motor so replace the motor or google how to wire it
>>
>>955253
Cant * use in a generator only dc
>>
>>954591
I would install that in the attic as an attic fan because ridge vents are miracle workers
>>
>>954591
Those attic fans move a lot of air-make a stand for it.
>>
I use one of these to cool my garage in the summer. Disconnected an old unused light, wired that bitch to the switch. Works damn well.

OP, if you're looking for motorized project motors, gas is cheaper, but used old people scooters are the easiest way. Not very fast, but still fun. Next best is used electric road scooters, then old golf carts. Actually, golf carts is probably number 1. They've been around forever.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.