[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weldor not Welder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 22
File: photo 1.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
photo 1.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Hi, I'm a weldor. I work in the steel industry located in America. In short, I fabricate the steel members required to build buildings, and then erect them. I wouldn't mind providing insight into my work, from the processes used to fabricate the steel to welding tips, ask away. I'll post some pics I took for content. This one is MIG welding a hand railing.
>>
File: photo 2.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
photo 2.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>
File: photo 3.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
photo 3.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
I'm not sure why my pictures are rotating when I post them.
>>
File: photo 4.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
photo 4.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>
is it a rewarding job?
>>
File: photo 1.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
photo 1.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>953714

I can only speak for myself, but I find it rewarding. Primarily, the pay. I went to welding school for 8.5 months and I came out entry-level making $15. It cost me $13k to go to school. I got a 50 cent raise my first and second month. Pay increases with higher experience (knowing ones way around a shop and how to use the different machinery to fabricate what you need), skills (welding, blueprint reading), and competencies (operating cranes, commercial haulers, forklifts, shop hoist). Some types of welding demand a high pay, such as pipe welding, underwater welding, and bridge building. The benefits are nice. The harder I work, the stronger I get. It is great to be outside, too. Travel is fun. Seeing work completed and having produced something is rewarding to me.
>>
File: photo 1.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
photo 1.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>953714

In addition, my shop has mandatory 44 hour weeks. I average 45-47. Time and a half on all that over 40. We have a big job coming up that will last us six months. We expect 80 hour weeks. Think about that income. Of course it is great because of the pay, but there is seriously something awesome about it, to me. First off, TIG welding is beautiful. With the exception of my girlfriend's eyes, I have never been so entranced by anything so captivating as initiating a TIG arc over some mirror polished stainless. Pipe Welding is close behind. Being able to perform a good keyhole weld on a pipe open root takes serious skill. Its seriously badass. Some guys work on the pipeline and are in ditches rain, snow, or hot as fuck. They make, easily, six figures. Bridge builders slam gigantic I-Beam columns into the ground until they hit bedrock. Think about that. The method is called pile-driving. Its basically slamming steel members into (you could also say penetrating) the earth with massive force. Mmmm.
>>
>>953714

Now thinking about it, another really obvious benefit is being able to make anything you want out of metal. All you need is the tools. If you work at a shop, chances are you can use it in off hours (assuming they're not douchebags).
>>
>>953708
have you thought about making yourself a killdozer?

also, is a weld as strong as the metal itself?
>>
I'm in welding school right now and I was thinking about specializing in aluminum TIG.
Is that viable?

I honestly don't care much about the money, I just really enjoy welding and metalworking in general.
>>
>>953767
Not OP but the weld is actually the strongest part afterwards. The areas just to the side of the weld however will be the weakest due to stress made by the welding process.
>>
I notice your jacket is not burnt up.
>>
>>953790
if you like working on john boats, look into stainless mig welding and tig
>>
>>953795
Therefore your point is completely moot
>>
>>953767

Weld metal is stronger than the base metal, which is within a general range of tolerance parameters.
>>
File: test.jpg (38 KB, 610x440) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
38 KB, 610x440
>>953767

No!

Also, as others have said, the weld metal is stronger than the parent metal. In welding, it is essential that metal in the welded joint area have properties equal or greater than the properties of the parent metal. This is a natural quality of a well-made weld tailored to meet the specific requirements of a job.
>>
File: 004.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>953790

I was going to do full-time TIG on racing chassis, but I chose to do structural. I can't really say much about it other than I am certified for AWS D1.1. We did mild carbon, stainless, and aluminum. Out of the three, stainless pipe seems like it pays the best. That's what the guys say in my area (Pennsylvania).

Viable? Of course aluminum TIG is viable. But is if viable FOR YOU? Do you want to have your hood down all day, laying down miles of wire? Are you going to be making the same thing day after day? Is it a controlled climate? How long will you be able to sit and weld? At what price?

I had to ask myself the same thing. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with a job like that. I decided I would rather do it all. It took time, but with a little door-knocking and introductions at some welding shops, I found a job doing both shop and field work. We machine all our structural members and erect a building. There's satisfaction there that you don't get in an assembly line. Not to mention using all the shop machines is fun. If you like welding and metalworking in general, maybe something like that is for you. Look for welding shops that have a crane service and chances are they're doing something similar to what we are doing.
>>
File: 003.jpg (1 MB, 1530x2048) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
1 MB, 1530x2048
>>953795

Your second statement is incorrect. Part of the reason we use metal is because the mechanical properties of metal allow it to tolerate high amounts of stress or energy before it deforms or otherwise fails. When the weldor knows the strength of his weld metal as compared to the parent metal, he will neither underweld nor overweld the product. The result will be one solid object with no incontinuities. The metal adjacent to the weld will retain its properties as long as the stress it supports does not exceed some rather specific limits. This assumes one has the skill to make such a weld. Some people just burn their dog-shit in. I don't know which kind of weld you're talking about.
>>
>>954185

I notice you don't have any pictures to contribute.
>>
File: 007.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>
File: 008.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>
File: 010.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>
File: 011.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>
currently a welder myself, certified in all position on fluxcore, and all positions in hardwire except overhead, and i'm working with pipe now, not sure if I should learn to do tig, or what. I mean at this point im about to graduate and figured i probably don't have enough time.. I know theres good pay in flux core, if you get the right company but i always feel doing mig is kind of a waste since its easy.. I'm working real hard on pipe but idon't necessarily want to do pipe. really, just looking for guidance.
>>
if your in canada do your red seal and get all position SMAW
>>
Welding is just another art degree!
>>
>>957948
explain

Art degree = no job

welding = trade = money
>>
>>957948
Here's your (You).
Enjoy it.
>>
>>958172
>>958177

It's strangely considered an art degree by my school, so I don't have to take any art classes.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
Pipe welder here
Pic is spray arc
Been in the trade for 3 years
>>
>>958347
Beautiful !
>>
>>958353
I can dump more when I get home if there is interest here
>>
>>957607

Most of what I do around the shop is MIG. It just makes the most sense. Basically, everything you will make in a shop will be tack welded together during layout and fitting using MIG because it is the most efficient, clean, and economic way of doing so. From there, unless you need to meet some sort of code, you'll probably also weld it up with MIG. If it is a structural member, you will likely be welding it flat with flux core. If it is a stainless steel railing, you'll probably TIG weld it or use special MIG wire. If you need to install something out in the field, you will generally use stick. You'll use whatever process makes sense to get the job done right.

The general advice I want to convey is that you shouldn't limit yourself. First of all, how badly do you want to be a weldor? Welding is a skill that would enable you to make the things you want or need in life while also putting you in high demand professionally. As your skills and experience grow, so will your value. Don't neglect to learn everything you have an opportunity to, and have a better work-ethic than everyone else.
>>
>>957607

To more directly address your specific statements, consider these responses:

>"...certified in all position on fluxcore, and all positions in hardwire except overhead..."
Great, but most practical applications for flux is welding in the flat or horizontal positions.

>"...and i'm working with pipe now..."
Good, pipe welding pays well, and being able to perform keyhole welds is not something everyone can do.

>"I'm working real hard on pipe but idon't necessarily want to do pipe."
Good. Remember, though, that you can't CERTIFY for pipe. You can get something sort of similar that says you can do it, but it is not a welding certificate. If you don't necessarily want to do pipe, then don't spend all your time on something you can't get a cert in.

>"...not sure if I should learn to do tig..."
Of course. You should at least learn how to do stringer welds flat on mild carbon. Most stainless is not too different from mild carbon in terms of actually welding it. You have to watch your temp a lot more closely so you don't cook out the properties that give it its corrosion resistance. Aluminum can be tricky, but having at least dabbled in it before will put you in a better position to do it at your future workplace.

>"I mean at this point im about to graduate and figured i probably don't have enough time."
Seriously, just pad flat stringers. Have your instructor(s) demonstrate it for you and then ask them to elaborate on the technique. Any weld that CAN be welded flat WILL and SHOULD be welded flat. When you eventually DO run into having to deal with stainless or aluminum, you'll thank yourself for having taken even a few days to get your feet wet, at least.

>"I know theres good pay in flux core, if you get the right company but i always feel doing mig is kind of a waste since its easy."
Just because MIG is easy doesn't mean it won't bring you value. Same with flux. Both are good to know. Don't limit yourself. Think twice before you chase the money.
>>
>>958263

Who cares what they call it, as long as they teach you enough so that you can go get a job and make bank after you graduate.
>>
>>958371

There is interest. I started to dump pics, but they upload rotated. O_o
>>
>>958390
more spray mig
>>
s/s tig
>>
just walking the cup on these
s/s steel
>>
>>958387
>>958386

thank you for the advice, I really do enjoy welding, but I guess unfortunately I might have chosen it for the money, while again I do enjoy welding, but i'd like to make good money at it because I intend to put effort and time in to making myself better. And you're right about welding flat with fluxcore, but figured I should point that out,
>>
>>958418

my god, that is absolutely beautiful who are you!!!
>>
Couldn't help but notice that you erect members, OP.

Keep up the good work.
>>
>>958435
Thanks for the kind words man
>>
>>958538

how long have you been welding, please tell me at least 12 plus years
>>
Any concerns about the increased risk of cancer?
>>
>>958418

What exactly is spray arc, is that just mig with wire, or some other kind of fluxcore welding?
>>
>>958347
Pipe welder in school here. What are some cool /diy/ projects I can make?
>>
>>958418
>>958420
>>958423
It hurts to see this when you've been doing fuck all in class for the past two weeks when you could've been practicing instead.
>>
What do you think about the job of guys who are more on the assembly and fitting side of things?

The way the trade works here is that we're taught how to make stuff from A to Z and the degree is called "welding-fitting" (loose translation) so you can get hired to do either one of those things or both. I love welding especially TIG and stick but at least for now I feel like I love reading plans, putting everything together, solving fitting problems and stuff like that even more.

Thank you welding-sama.
>>
>>953708
Kan nerve gas melt steel beams..
>>
>>959272

Hell yeah, I don't often slack off, but sometimes I just don't feel i am learning fast enough... Like I am always welding in class, I try to keep busy but I know i am making progess just it seems so slow and I get so discouraged im like come on, i've been at this for 2 weeks now, what am I doing wrong.
>>
>>959314
Worst thing is that I'm not even just being lazy, I'm only stuck on a fucking chair because of mandatory theory classes no one gives a flying shit about.
>>
>>959225

He said three.

This fucker is not human. If anything he is the rain man of welding. That shit is way too consistent.
>>
>>959225
no i have been in the trade for 3 years im 23.
>>959236
Spray arc is like short circuit mig but it runs hotter and penetrates better. you cant go vertical easily with spray. its more for heavy production i am using .045 wire not fluxcore.
>>959280
I fit and weld all the things i do. I enjoy it your not just welding or fitting so it breaks up your day. and once you get the hang of it and what your building its easy. i work on pressure vessels.
>>
File: rose.jpg (82 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
rose.jpg
82 KB, 640x640
>>959259
i make roses in my spare time. i use thing sheet metal and a rod then when im done i hit it with a torch lightly to rainbow it. it takes a couple to figure out the best way to make them.
>>
>>
>>959478

isn't the .045 just the thickness of the wire and not the type.
>>
>>959480
I was thinking something more in the lines of a water heater or similiar. Something involving pressure and pipes and stuff.
>>
seeing all these pictures really makes me wish i looked for a welding job instead of helping family with their business. I still metalwork and weld for them though. I just love building shit, the whole creative process of lining everything up, problem solving, and then the joy you get one you lay down your pretty welds and see your finished product. I wish I had pictures of all my projects. All the stuff I do is pretty small. No beads longer than a couple inches, and no stacked beads. I miss doing groove welds and filling up plates with perfectly aligned metal beads. I was getting pretty good at pipe welding too.

My favorite process is stick but there's not too many high paying stick welding jobs besides pipe. I could do it but it's fucking exhausting if you're doing it all day and I don't care about money that much.

>If you like welding and metalworking in general, maybe something like that is for you. Look for welding shops that have a crane service and chances are they're doing something similar to what we are doing.

How many tests did you have to pass to get the job? do your welds get inspected? How well do you clean the metal before you start welding and how much do you grind out (if at all) of your weld?
>>
File: 20160311_232447.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160311_232447.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
How can I improve this weld? It looks a bit hollow. I'm using a harbor freight MIG welder. Metal is 1/8th thick.
>>
>>960487
im the guy who posted the pulse pics.
i had to take three tests a tig pipe test and mig steel/stainless plate test.
yes my welds get inspected but i usualy do the weld repair for other peoples lackluster welds so i know what the inspecters look for.
most times the metal is sandblasted before i lay a bead on it.
really the only grinding i do is on stainless if i am to lazy to backpurge and root the inside out then grind the outside before i weld it.
>>
>>960525
>How can I improve this weld?
First, stop using a weak-ass HF rig. Second, learn to play in the puddle: strike your spark, then hover the end of your stick over the workpiece but inside the puddle of molten weld. Make little circles that overlap, like writing in cursive the scream of a midget (eeeeeeeeeee).

I'm not a welder.
>>
>>953767
>is a weld as strong as the metal itself?
Depends on several factors.

If the metal involved is something heat treated, the weld will be weaker, period, because the heat of welding will temper the metal near the weld. Depending on alloy and other specifics, there may be additional weakness in the actual heat-affected zone where it got hot enough to alter the crystal structure. Most aluminum alloys you're likely to encounter are subject to this.

High-strength alloys are typically somewhat brittle, and must be welded with careful heat control to prevent cracking. Even if cracking isn't a concern, metals with a high alloy content often produce welds that, while they may be as strong/stronger than the base metal, are not as ductile. Grinding a weld flat and bending back and forth would in that case produce a crack through the weld. Stainless steel welds often go here unless they've been annealed.

Low-alloy steel isn't subject to either concern, and such welds can rather easily be made as strong/stronger than the base metal.

Joint and structure design influences where stress will cause something to fail. A one-sided lap joint will probably fail in bending at the joint, for example, while a two-sided lap joint virtually never will. Coping a joint can shift the point of failure elsewhere even if the weld itself can't be made as strong as the base metal.

Weld size also determines where failure will occur. A weld smaller than the base metal thickness will never attain the full strength of the base metal. A thicker weld can reduce stress concentration and counter weakness in the filler material. A braze welded steel joint can attain the strength of a fusion-welded steel joint if there is enough buildup, and the lower temperature involved reduces the aforementioned heat problems.

Generally speaking, any proper joining technique can produce joints as strong as the materials involved. Only welding can do that with strong metals without an increase in joint area.
>>
>>958386
>Basically, everything you will make in a shop will be tack welded together during layout and fitting using MIG because it is the most efficient, clean, and economic way of doing so.

At my workplace, virtually everything, even things that will be MIG welded or spray-arced later, are tacked with TIG. TIG tacks can be made with no or minimal filler, and can penetrate into a butt joint with no gap. A lot of what we do requires perfect fusion even if full penetration isn't needed, and MIGing over a MIG tack can leave voids that open when ground. If it's not getting ground, the appearance of the bead matters, and tacks with filler can leave visible irregularities in the finished weld. Think what a MIG tack would look like with >>958423.

>>958387
>Any weld that CAN be welded flat WILL and SHOULD be welded flat.
Some exceptions. Vertical up is better for penetration and high buildup with weaving. Vertical down is better for bridging gaps, and looks nicer than flat with MIG.

>>959350
>That shit is way too consistent.
It just takes practice and steady hands. Professionals get lots of practice. A good professional can do that FAST.
>>
>>960564

>Vertical down is better for bridging gaps, and looks nicer than flat with MIG.

Yeah, for stuff like end caps done with MIG, where strength isn't critically important, it leaves a lot less cleanup to do as the spatter just flies towards the floor rather than all over the piece.

Downhand root passes with stick are also standard for some pipe codes
>>
>>960564

we were using metal core at my place for tacking. We were doing some pretty big stuff though.

Metal core runss pretty hot and puts enough deposit down to make a solid tack for stuff half inch or thicker, and can be done pretty fast. Basically though, it's not much different from a very hot MIG
>>
>>959236

Spray is the hottest setting you can typically run a mig at. It transfers the metal across the arc in a fine spray. To do a real spray transfer you need a high enough percentage of argon in your gas mix. At lower voltages and wire speeds you have a globular transfer. The lowest MIG settings put you into a short-circuit transfer, which will have a distinctive, regular popping sound. Globular sounds kind of like an irregular hissing, and a true spray is almost silent except for an electrical hum and slight hiss.

There is a sort of in-between area where you are in a very hot globular that's almost a spray, that usually happens when your gas mix doesn't have enough argon to do a true spray. Some shops will call it a spray, but it is not. You need around 80% argon to go into a consistent spray
>>
>>960720

I've been in college for awhile now, and my instructor has never told me of this, is this just considered unnecessary or are there jobs that actually weld like this?
>>
>>961977
High production jobs use spray
>>
>>958387
Actually you can get certified in pipe welding. The AWS 6g cert is a common one.
>>
File: IMG_20151217_134824706.jpg (305 KB, 1248x702) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_134824706.jpg
305 KB, 1248x702
In your opinion and experience, what would be the nicest "specialty" between these:
>fitter (there's a decent market for specialized assembly guys over here)
>TIG welder
>heavy equipment welder, not sure that's how you call it but I mean the guys who repair and reinforce excavator shovels and stuff like that
>welder for a railway company

I still have about 6 months until I'm finished with school but I don't really know what to aim for right now as they all seem like neat fields.
>>
>>962881
just do what seems like the most fun to you. I know TIG welders get paid the most. But to me working on heavy equipment seems like fun and fitting is frustrating.
>>
>>963029
Yeah I'm gonna try getting into fields that are more suited for working with stick and TIG, personally I find MIG kinda boring. I'm kinda interested in assembly mainly because I like reading plans and figuring geometric shit out, but thinking about it I don't think I'd like doing it day in day out, unlike welding.

Thanks.
>>
>>962881
there's a limit to how good you can get at TIG. before the robot takes over for those perfect seemless welds.

>>963036
MIG is indian tier welding. dont specialize in this unless you want to be competing with pajeet.

>>962881
there is always a market for good fitters. mines and oil rigs. failing that, the worst you can do with that trade is to setup an engine rebuilding shop which is kind of the opposite of failure.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.