[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know much about RFID but wouldn't lining a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: Capture.png (165 KB, 683x467) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
165 KB, 683x467
I don't know much about RFID but wouldn't lining a normal wallet with silver/gold cloth do the same thing without giving these fucks 50$?
>>
>>953399
http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=antistatic+bag
>>
>>953413
/thread
>>
>>953413
antistatic bags are just insulators, they dont have faraday cage capability

aluminium foil on the other hand will protect RFID if you wrap well
>>
>>953424
>antistatic bags are just insulators, they dont have faraday cage capability
they are not insulators
they contain carbon which is conductive
sort of
thats what makes them antistatic instead of any other plastic/poly bag

how well would it work to block em? no idea.
>>
>>953427
>carbon
nickel
>>
or simply cut out/drill through the chip where the sections in the chip meet?
>>
>>953439

if you slide the card at a terminal that is chip activated, it will tell you to insert the chip, because theres data on the strip that tells the reader it has a chip. if you destroy the chip then you cant use it in that reader because it wont let you slide it it will keep asking you to insert it

this new "safe" technology is worse than it was before. fuck these chips fuck credit cards fuck everything
>>
>>953399
>>953459
>A Credit card I haven't used in years that has never been hacked or lost or even out of my possession.
>I get a new RFID CC with same number and Chase deactivates my non RFID, 2 weeks later, I'm disputing charges.

Thanks? I mean what the fuck.
>>
>>953427

Antistatic bags aren't conductive. They're more comparable to MOVs; they can become conductive, but only to a voltage high enough to break down the insulation between particles.

Thus, they dissipate and shield against static, but won't otherwise conduct or shield from EM.

Plain-old aluminum foil is the way to go.
>>
>>953399
I bought a Fossil wallet recently, it has RFID shielding. Under a metal detector, it's looked like its just got a piece of metal on each side.
>>
>>953465
>r and Chase deactivates my non RFID, 2 weeks later, I'm disputing charges.
what charges?
you have not said anything about what actually happned.
>>
File: hybridcard_2.jpg (34 KB, 700x482) Image search: [Google]
hybridcard_2.jpg
34 KB, 700x482
>>953439
This

>>953459
You mongoloid, a "smart chip" card is different than an RFID enabled card.

The Majority of Smart Chip cards dont have RFID
Contactless RFID like bank and brand specific things Blink or Paywave failed to catch on.

You can crush or cut out the RFID and it wont do anything to your smart chip.

Pic related, a mock of a card with both technologies.
>>
Antistatic bags do not shield RFID.

Aluminium foil does shield RFID.

Metal pot scourers also work, but are a little bulky for putting in a wallet.

Source: we were bored at work.
>>
How do you wrap the aluminium foil without sacrificing quick access?
>>
If you wanted to be really classy you could pick up some conductive fabric. More expensive than aluminum foil, but it'll last longer.
>>
>>954176
Somebody has scanned his RFID and made purchases with an illegal copy of his card, so now the poster is disputing charges (bank charges, not legal charges).
>>
>>954227
You foil the backside of the wallet, meaning that when it is closed it has good protection against RFID reading and when it is open you can use it normally.

I am not exactly sure that you thought tho, were you thinking that he would have to wrap the whole thing in foil?
>>
>>954251
Yes that is what I thought, i.e. 360 wrapping a card completely

So holes and gaps are ok?
>>
>>954280
Wouldn't it be easier to just proof your wallet? Picture related. This wouldn't of course make it 100% proof but would significantly reduce the chances of RFID being read while the wallet is closed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-yOo3W0LmlJMXQzd0dpcExnRlU/view?usp=sharing

I am sure that wrapping your card in tinfoil would prevent unauthorized RFID access, but it would also reduce usability.
>>
File: Cash.jpg (861 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Cash.jpg
861 KB, 1200x800
>>953399
If your so afraid of your credit card...
>>
>>954250
wow. its the fucking future.
I wander if the Amish are recruiting.
>>
lol i forgot, americans are new to this

yeah, no, you guys are right, its way safer to use a signature. keeping doing that. ,
metric system isnt catching on either
>>
>>954500
>this whole post

RFID is even less safe than a signature, you being smug as fuck cant even tell the difference between the card technologies.
>>
>>953399
You can drill your card: http://wp.xin.at/archives/tag/tap-to-pay or make this: https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:koszulki_faradaya

>>954500
>>954369
Paypass is crap forced by banks.
>>
>le ebin thread by 12 years old kid
>>
>>953399
why are people so afraid of rfid?

you have to be extremely close for it to work, almost touching
>>
>>955088
ever hear of a pick pocket?
if someone can get into your pocket, and remove your wallet, without you noticing.. do you not think they are just as capable of doing a hover hand over your ass for a few seconds?
>>
>>955115
Keep more than one card in your wallet? I have 2 or three rfid cards and if I try to tap with my whole wallet it fails. Have to remove the single card I want to use.
>>
>>954179
No idea where you live, but in Canada almost every new card is both RFID and Chip. I have 4-5 'paypass' chip cards.
>>
>>954505
He isn't wrong though. RFID is used in cards around the world. Not only for credit/debit cards but even subway/bus passes. It's the way things are going and you don't have a choice.
>>
>>955121
Ive had contactless cards for 6-7 years, they arent new technology in the US even though they havent caught on yet. Most places I shop have have the readers but they dont function.

What he is referring to is swiping your debit cards magnetic strip under credit and using a signature vs the forced encrypted pin from using a smart chip. Only in the last year have they really pushed the new chips out from banks in the USA. When there is a technology being used since the 70s, of course there will be a learning curve and some complaining.
All of the stores have the chip and pin readers, but only half of them actually work.

The post trying to stir the pot however pertains nothing at all to the OP.
Its a third technology other than the two he implied, that can be stolen easily and used without your pin number if you spend under a certain amount.
>>
>>955117
I have no idea about this, but isn't that because the legit card reader in the shop is picking up details on multiple cards so doesn't allow it to stop more than one card being charged? If you were a leet haxx0r why would you care about this? Just skim all the cards at once?
>>
Does no one in this thread know what a Faraday cage is?

>>955088
You can easily just boost the readers signal to read RFID chips from much further away. Now, very few people/nobody outside of some hackers using it as proof of concept is doing this yet, but it'll only be a matter of time before it does filter down.
>>
>>955088
Saw a pic in a picdump last week of a guy in the subway with a handheld POS scanner.

Have fun proofing you didn't buy a pair of Air Jordans on the A teain at 3am.
>>
>>955117
>Keep more than one card in your wallet? I have 2 or three rfid cards and if I try to tap with my whole wallet it fails. Have to remove the single card I want to use.

I worked with RFIDs for an inventory project and got to use handheld scanners, small (10cm squares) and huge antennae(1mx50cm).
At full power, the handheld was able to read ~40% of RFID tags that were bundled on a bag inside my desk.
The huge antennae were amazing and were able to read 90% of the same bag 10 meters away from it with a lot of obstacles in between.

While not all RFID tags are made equal, you can definitely use a handheld scanner to read them inside your wallet easily.
>>
>>955120
I'm gonna guess "the USA".

My bank card, which works fine in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Europe, didn't work in half the USA ATMs because they were incapable of interfacing with the chip, and my bank declines withdrawals using only the magstripe.

In 2016.
>>
>>953399
I don't get why the card doesn't have a capacitative sensor that disables it if a human isn't touching it.

A light sensor that detects it not being in a dark wallet would also work.
>>
>>955210
Omg I know. Literally the whole world is inconvenienced to visit the USA now.

Who the hell even has a signature any more, apart from Yankee Doodles?
>>
File: fraud-foiler.jpg (23 KB, 400x256) Image search: [Google]
fraud-foiler.jpg
23 KB, 400x256
>>953399
>>
>>954300
>all those 1s covered by the single 100
I remember when I used to think it mattered that people thought I had a lot of money.
>>
>>956118
US transitioning to chip in 2016. That ATM is running out of grace period to not read chips.

We don't have chip and pin though, so it's pretty dumb since it doesn't fucking do anything in that configuration.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.